Need advice or help

a320t54mi8

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
pilot5462
I was PIC of A-320 in Russia.I have 13,000 flight hours.I couldn't pass medical exam and my ATPL expired in October 2010.I've passed medical exam in the USA and get medical certificate first class without limitations.Can I be a pilot in the USA and what should I do?Thank you.

I was PIC of A-320 in Russia.I have 13,000 flight hours.I couldn't pass medical exam and my ATPL expired in October 2010.I've passed medical exam in the USA and get medical certificate first class without limitations.Can I be a pilot in the USA and what should I do?Thank you.

Depends on a number of things. Do you have a valid work Visa for the US? Do you have an FAA Commercial or ATP certificate? If the answer to either of these questions is "No", then no.

If you don't already have it, you can get the FAA commercial or ATP based on your logged flight time. You'll have to pass the appropriate written and pass a checkride. The most painless way - if not the cheapest - is to go through a simulator program at one of many training centers. You'd get the FAA ATP with, say, an A320 type rating (airplane multi-engine land). This is a stand-alone license, not to be confused with one based on a foreign license.

The job market here (US) is as tight as anywhere; I'm no expert, but I think you need a corporate sponsor for a work visa. Getting a visa just to come in and get the license would pose no problem ( I think). Without a work permit, the only value to an FAA license would be in obtaining contract work overseas (and on this I am something of an expert :)).

I'm not asking you about your (Russian) medical status, but you can bet any prospective employer - and possibly your flight school - will. Have a good, and truthful, answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet you'd find a job in India in a heartbeat... The US aviation industry isn't doing so hot right now, though, so you might have some trouble finding something to your liking here.

Back