Need advice on training.

ChaseBradbury

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ChaseBradbury
I am currently 27 years old with 60 hrs in helicopter, most of which dual instruction. I do not hold a license and have not flown in nearly 3 years. My problem is of course financing and mapping out my training to get the best possible flight time per dollar. I was told I should get my private fixed wing license then add on commercial helicopter. I know fixed wing training is cheaper but would it be worth doing since I already have 60 hrs in helicopter? I do have some interest in an airline career but still am undecided. A little push in any heading (pun intended) would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
Chase Bradbury

I am currently 27 years old with 60 hrs in helicopter, most of which dual instruction. I do not hold a license and have not flown in nearly 3 years. My problem is of course financing and mapping out my training to get the best possible flight time per dollar. I was told I should get my private fixed wing license then add on commercial helicopter. I know fixed wing training is cheaper but would it be worth doing since I already have 60 hrs in helicopter? I do have some interest in an airline career but still am undecided. A little push in any heading (pun intended) would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
Chase Bradbury

Just based on those I'd say go fixed wing. But I don't know how many hours you are away from getting your helicopter private. If you are only a few hours away, I'd say just finish it up.

Do you want to fly fixed-wing, helos, or both? And do you want to fly for an airplane airline or a helicopter airline? Why did you start in helos rather than fixed-wing in the first place?

Since you have all that time in for helicopter, I would advise getting that rating first, then adding the fixed wing. Being rated in both will open up employment while building time to meet airline minimums if that is what you want to do.

As far as money goes, I always told prospective students to get at least 3/4's of the estimated amount toward your ticket put away before even starting training. Nothing drags out instruction more than that once or twice a month student. Try to fly 3 times a week. It will end up costing you less in the long run.

Run the numbers,are you close enough to get your ppl hello? If not go fixed wing then do the help add on.

Thank you everyone for the quick responses. I have enough hours required for a ppl in helo, but as far as actually getting my ppl all depends on how fast I gain my proficiency back. Let's say it takes 10 hrs to gain proficiency (probably unlikely) I would be spending about 3,000 as apposed to 1,500 at 150 per hr for fixed wing. If I were to go the rout of fixed it takes 30 hrs of heli, 10 of which would need to be solo. I currently have only about 3hrs of solo so I would still need to gain my proficiency to gain those solo hrs.

Thanks everyone. You all helped me realize that I should continue with my heli training. After I receive my ppl I will consider a fixed wing add on. All advice is much appreciated. I am still open to anyone's thoughts regarding this issue.

Respectfully,
Chase Bradbury.

I'd still like to know the answers to my questions above -- might give some insight into the best route for you to take long-term.

Back