Need advice landing at KOLS, Nogales, AZ.

amoel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
amoel
Hello gurus,

I will be flying to KOLS from San Diego, my plan is to fly over TUS and then V395 to KOLS.

My question is, how do I enter the pattern? it is left traffic to RW21 so should I overfly the center of the RW at 6000 ft (1000 above pattern) and then make a right 270 to enter 45 to the left down wind? or how would you do it?

Thanks!

I've been there 4 or 5 times.

First off, it's quite a sleepy airport. I'd be surprised if there was anyone else in the pattern. If they are, it's quite likely they are arriving or departing, not doing pattern work.

If nobody else is in the pattern, there's no reason you can't fly a right base on your approach to 21.

If you want to do left traffic, traffic permitting just overfly the center of the runway and join left downwind. Unless there's a conflict, no reason to be above TPA, just overfly, and make a L turn to downwind.

On word of caution - the terrain S and E of 21 is maybe 300 ft higher than the airport, but this is not apparent visually. Your base and final will appear to be low. This is an illusion due to the terrain. Keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Dans! will probably just do that, overfly and enter left DW.

Have fun!

They cook up a decent burger there, it always tastes even better if returning from some time in Mexico. The winds can get real squirrely, too, with all the rolling hills. I've done a couple of visits with 28-34 across the runway. 'Like a rodeo, yipeekaye.

Last edited:
My question is, how do I enter the pattern? it is left traffic to RW21 so should I overfly the center of the RW at 6000 ft (1000 above pattern) and then make a right 270 to enter 45 to the left down wind? or how would you do it?

Thanks!

Same way I do at every other uncontrolled airport. With that route aren't you already pretty much set up on a 45 to 21? :dunno:

and... that airport is particularly difficult to pick out if you are unfamiliar... in fact I've been there several times and still have difficulty finding it sometimes. I suggest you check it out on Google Earth, from the altitude and direction you'll be using.

and... that airport is particularly difficult to pick out if you are unfamiliar... in fact I've been there several times and still have difficulty finding it sometimes. I suggest you check it out on Google Earth, from the altitude and direction you'll be using.

And be sure not to accidentally cross the border!

They cook up a decent burger there, it always tastes even better if returning from some time in Mexico. The winds can get real squirrely, too, with all the rolling hills. I've done a couple of visits with 28-34 across the runway. 'Like a rodeo, yipeekaye.

I've never seen a restaurant there. Where is it?

Nogales Airport Cafe: just inside the door from the tarmac at your 1:00

The Nogales Airport Café, offers great food and services daily from 7:30am to 2:00pm Local. The Café offers a wide selection of reasonably priced Breakfast and Lunch selections. If your arrival time is past our hours, call ahead for your dining needs.

Nogales Airport Cafe: just inside the door from the tarmac at your 1:00

The Nogales Airport Café, offers great food and services daily from 7:30am to 2:00pm Local. The Café offers a wide selection of reasonably priced Breakfast and Lunch selections. If your arrival time is past our hours, call ahead for your dining needs.

Must check it out next time we are down that direction.

Ok, that explains it. I've never been there before 2pm.

I am surprised there is enough traffic to keep them in business. The field has been dead each time I've been there.

Back