Need advice from the techies

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
Allright, just got the i-mate PDA2k EVDO. It operates on Win CE and says Pocket PC on it. Pretty reasonable unit I got with my phone contract in Australia (yes, with the rates they charge they can afford to give you one, crazy comms bills down here). There is an available Car Kit w/ GPS. I'm wondering, I think, but I'm not sure, Jepps database covers here. What's the go with the different software available both mapping and instrument wise with possible link to portable solid state gyro for "glass" AI screen (nice but not necessary if the price is too dear.)? Who gives the most bang for the buck? Chart updateability?

Thanks

Henning said:
What's the go with the different software available...

Is that Aussie for something?

The two choices that come to mind are Air Gator and Control Vision. Cable connections may be a problem WRT the AHRS.

Last edited:
I don't really know what to tell you. I was looking at some stuff while I was a student since I had a HP Ipaq with PocketPC 2003. But I ended up selling it to pay for flight time.

I am thinking about buying another PDA one of these days though.

jangell said:
I don't really know what to tell you. I was looking at some stuff while I was a student since I had a HP Ipaq with PocketPC 2003. But I ended up selling it to pay for flight time.

I am thinking about buying another PDA one of these days though.
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4391

I'm trying to do what you're doing Jesse :cheerswine: I tried ebay a few months back, but wasn't sucessful. :confused:

I've got a HP 2215 PDA with Anywhere map (no weather or attitude gyro) and I'm not too thrilled with the in-cockpit performance. To begin with it's pretty slow at updating. Some screen changes take 10-30 seconds and in many cases once you start something you're stuck until it finishes, even if it isn't what you meant to start. In addition, I've had trouble with the whole thing hanging up and having to be reset which not only takes time, but also sets several configuation items back to factory defaults. Finally, I've had trouble with adjusting screen brightness. By default you have to wade through 3-4 menu levels to change it, and with a slip of the stylus you can set it to zero. At that point you have to get out the flashlight in order to change it back.

I also have a similar program calle FliteSoft Express from RMS Technologies. I got that one for a whopping $100 as an add on to their flight planning software on my laptop. On the plus side, FSE is pretty well integrated with FS Pro in that you can plan a flight on the PC and download the plan along with the weather from DUATS into the PDA. The biggest downsides are that FSE is even slower than AWM and seems to hang more often.

lancefisher said:
Is that Aussie for something?

The two choices that come to mind are Air Gator and Control Vision. Cable connections may be a problem WRT the AHRS.

Thats Fair Dinkum there Lance:cheerswine:

Back