Need Advice and Counsel

Gabe Sackman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Junkers456
Hey, names Gabe. New to this community, and I have a pretty pressing question on my chest. Before that, a bit about my situation. I'm nineteen, started taking lessons late December of last year. Took three lessons, and then life got busy. Haven't gone up since February sadly. Anyways, awhile back I got a phone call from the AME who gave me my temporary medical certificate. He says that the FAA sent me a letter (a letter I didn't get, mind you) back in January asking for more info regarding my mental health state. He said I needed to get on that, as ignoring it wasn't a good idea. Well, that day I go to my doc, go through the questionaries, she asks me about the time I was diagnosed with mild depression, and she says "ok, looks good, you are clear in my book, here's a copy of everything." So now I have this report saying I'm clear, and I mail it off first class to the address the AME gave me; that was two weeks ago Friday, mailed out on Monday, the eleventh. I think I'm in the clear, and then we get hit with a blizzard. No mail delivered until today. So, I walk out to the mailbox and there's a notification from the post office saying they have something for me to sign for. So I run out there, sign, and boom, the FAA says something along the lines of "in lieu of you not providing us with the requested information, we will be investigating you."

Now for my question: what can I do here, and what is the most likely thing that the FAA will do? Really worked up about this yall.

If you can, get another copy and send it in. Even if they have already begun the investigation, this is information they are looking for, so making sure they get it is in your best interest. Add a cover letter explaining (VERY POLITELY) that this information was originally submitted on such and such a date. Then, just play the game by their rules. The easier you make their job, the better your chances. Obviously, there are no guarantees, but just like being polite and helpful when a cop pulls you over gives you a better chance of not getting a ticket, being polite and helpful, answering whatever questions they may have, and not getting worked up all work in your favor. Especially when mental health/stability is in question, if you get all riled up, it doesn't help your case.

If/when they call, don't get defensive, just play it cool. Best of luck to you. I know it's frustrating/scary/intimidating dealing with federal agencies (I know, I work for one!), but like I said, just be cool, take it as it comes. You can't do anything more than that anyway, so why get all worked up?

Any action required on the letter you just received?

I suspect your letters passed in the mail as they are approximately 3 weeks behind in reading mail. Personally, any letters I send to FAA I send with a tracking number for my record and protection. USPS never delivered an item I had sent priority Mail so now I use UPS or fedex.

If no action required on the letter you just received, I would resend your letter using UPS or FedEx with a cover letter indicating that you first mailed this first class on XXX but you were afraid they didn't receive it so you're resending it.

If you can, get another copy and send it in. Even if they have already begun the investigation, this is information they are looking for, so making sure they get it is in your best interest. Add a cover letter explaining (VERY POLITELY) that this information was originally submitted on such and such a date. Then, just play the game by their rules. The easier you make their job, the better your chances. Obviously, there are no guarantees, but just like being polite and helpful when a cop pulls you over gives you a better chance of not getting a ticket, being polite and helpful, answering whatever questions they may have, and not getting worked up all work in your favor. Especially when mental health/stability is in question, if you get all riled up, it doesn't help your case.

If/when they call, don't get defensive, just play it cool. Best of luck to you. I know it's frustrating/scary/intimidating dealing with federal agencies (I know, I work for one!), but like I said, just be cool, take it as it comes. You can't do anything more than that anyway, so why get all worked up?
Gotcha. And if they don't like what they see? What can they do to me?

Any action required on the letter you just received?

I suspect your letters passed in the mail as they are approximately 3 weeks behind in reading mail. Personally, any letters I send to FAA I send with a tracking number for my record and protection. USPS never delivered an item I had sent priority Mail so now I use UPS or fedex.

If no action required on the letter you just received, I would resend your letter using UPS or FedEx with a cover letter indicating that you first mailed this first class on XXX but you were afraid they didn't receive it so you're resending it.
I don't think so. Just a letter of intent is what it seemed like.

What CAN they do? Declare you incompetent to fly. Unlikely though. What is more likely to happen if it's an adverse judgment is to refer you to the HIMS program, which is a pain in the neck, but not an impossibility to overcome if you really want to. The other thing that is on the more likely end is that, as @FPK1 stated, it probably crossed during its pony express travels and they didn't get it before they sent their letter. In that case, they could look at what the AME said, and call it good.

So what could the investigation look like? I don't know specifically, because I haven't dealt with the FAA in this regard, but other government agencies will give you a "Request for Additional Information." Then you just get to play the waiting game while they do whatever it is that they do. They could also personally interview you, or consult the AME for her professional opinion.

You want to post your question in Medical Topics and you’re looking for the advice of Dr Bruce @bbchien

Your AME should have been involved in the correspondence with FAA and reviewed what your PCP wrote/provided before submitting.
If you’re looking for a career in aviation, don’t mess around with the medical. Get advice for unusual situations.

Back