Need a report on...

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
Ok, went into FRYs and saw a Samsung UMPC Q1, and thought this would make the ultimate EFB for a small plane since it has a just right sized display/processor unit (not too small, not too large) with a touch screen that can be mounted in position and a seperate keyboard with realistic sized keys that can be placed else where. Anyone have any info on these? As a seperate issue with these, one thing I noticed was that the screen only operated in landscape mode, but I was told that through windows I could make it (or any other for that matter) go portrait. Is that correct? I looked around in it and couldnt find out how to do it, but I'm no brainiac....

Henning, someone (I cannot recall who just now), is marketing this 'puter with software as an EFB solution, in what I recall to be a pretty nice rig.

I am off to look for it...

(edit)

...and here it is. I suspect this is what I'll be buying-

Charts, GPS, XM WX, terrain, traffic and even a available AI-substitute. Nice rig.

Last edited:
Henning, someone (I cannot recall who just now), is marketing this 'puter with software as an EFB solution, in what I recall to be a pretty nice rig.

I am off to look for it...

(edit)

...and here it is. I suspect this is what I'll be buying-

Charts, GPS, XM WX, terrain, traffic and even a available AI-substitute. Nice rig.

Cool I was figuring to hook one of the solidstate gyros to it, nice link BTW:rolleyes: ;) :D

Lawyers are able to write the most helpful documents or the most damaging. That post may be a new tangent. :D

I'm curious about this software, myself. Waiting.... (tapping foot)

At work I looked into buying one of these Crossbow units to measure roll and pitch on high speed passenger trains.
The tech rep said one of their units was mareted to the experimental aircraft crowd. Around $1500 IIRC.
It has a reetty simple 12VDC hookup with a serial output, and a data format suitable for the Anywheremap software.

http://www.xbow.com/Products/productdetails.aspx?sid=165

... As a seperate issue with these, one thing I noticed was that the screen only operated in landscape mode, but I was told that through windows I could make it (or any other for that matter) go portrait. Is that correct? I looked around in it and couldnt find out how to do it, but I'm no brainiac....

This is in the display driver settings - it'll depend on the video hardware that's installed, as well as the video driver, as to whether that will be available and what it can do.

Of course, if it has Vista pre-installed, it will probably delete your programs if you change the video settings, you nasty pirate. :rofl:

--Cedric

NC Pilot has one of 'em - loves it. I'm planning on getting one, if the good folks at Lowrance don't get off the stick and come up with some wx goodies!

NC Pilot has one of 'em - loves it. I'm planning on getting one, if the good folks at Lowrance don't get off the stick and come up with some wx goodies!

$2600 and I get a full portable flight deck. Ain't IFR legal, but in a pinch....

I think Mark's where I came up with the idea in the first place... and he did not hide the link, either!:p

It sure looks like a potent set of features.

Yep, I like it. now just need a job so I can get one....
Heck, I can deal with that problem. I just have to figure out how to get a girlfriend then get dumped so I can rack up some flight time across the country! :)

Heck, I can deal with that problem. I just have to figure out how to get a girlfriend then get dumped so I can rack up some flight time across the country! :)

Kinda crappy way to get it, but it looks like I have an 8-9 hr day tommorrow.I've been flying all week with Sheri in her sweet old 182. Did a fun "out of the field" takeoff/chandelle the otherday. 182 has a pretty good vertical climb from 120 kts. I don't think she realized a 182 could perform like that....

Last edited:
Kinda crappy way to get it, but it looks like I have an 8-9 hr day tomorrow.I've been flying all week with Sheri in her sweet old 182. Did a fun "out of the field" takeoff/chandelle the other day. 182 has a pretty good vertical climb from 120 kts. I don't think she realized a 182 could perform like that....
What was your VS on departure and from what elevation? The R182 on these chilly days will give me 1200+ and I've seen it pegged (2000+) even at 6,000. She loves to climb. But, take away that power and gear down, it's a refrigerator!

What was your VS on departure and from what elevation? The R182 on these chilly days will give me 1200+ and I've seen it pegged (2000+) even at 6,000. She loves to climb. But, take away that power and gear down, it's a refrigerator!

Didn't look, but since we were at pattern alt in 10 seconds or so, I'd assume pegged. Started with 120 kts.

I have one purchased in conjunction with the FL190. Already posted, but here it is again. http://www.aviationsafety.com/fl_190.htm

I have the XM weather with it. Being a PC it has some issues the Garmin or other units would not have, such as it keeps trying to connect to wireless connections, etc. but overall I really like the unit. It is big enough I can see it, but small enough I can still mount it on the yoke or elsewhere in the cockpit and it is not too much in the way.

Lots of really nice features and information available along with good tutorials on the web site on how to use the unit.

This weekend I will take it on the first real trip to CRG for an Angel Flight. It will be interesting to see how it does. Already it has helped me navigate around some heavier rain showers.

Grade at least a B+/A-.

I use an Xplore tablet PC in the cockpit, along with XM weather and a chart viewer. It works pretty well.

The Xplore is a mil-spec tablet, rated to >17,000 feet. Most tablets are hard-drive rated to only 10K. Yes, a regular drive will crash above rated altitude (BTDT, got the reloaded OS).

Strongly recommend folks looking at EFB applications check the max rated altitude before buying. Hopefully, flash-hard drives will soon be available in sizes suited to this application.

I use an Xplore tablet PC in the cockpit, along with XM weather and a chart viewer. It works pretty well.

The Xplore is a mil-spec tablet, rated to >17,000 feet. Most tablets are hard-drive rated to only 10K. Yes, a regular drive will crash above rated altitude (BTDT, got the reloaded OS).

Strongly recommend folks looking at EFB applications check the max rated altitude before buying. Hopefully, flash-hard drives will soon be available in sizes suited to this application.
They report no problems operating below 14,000', with one customer going to 17K. There will be a solid state hard drive available shortly for some extra $, but not much I believe.

They report no problems operating below 14,000', with one customer going to 17K. There will be a solid state hard drive available shortly for some extra $, but not much I believe.

I didn't see anything in the Xplore specs about altitude. Does the manufacturer actually claim the design limit is higher than 3000 m? And as to anecdotal evidence of satisfactory operation in thin air, I have pointed out before that the real issue is a combination of G-shock loads, air density, and spindle startup. One thing I'd definitely do if I were operating a hard drive above 3000 m is to set it to run continuously as starting and stopping will provide significantly more opportunity for a head crash.

I didn't see anything in the Xplore specs about altitude. Does the manufacturer actually claim the design limit is higher than 3000 m? And as to anecdotal evidence of satisfactory operation in thin air, I have pointed out before that the real issue is a combination of G-shock loads, air density, and spindle startup. One thing I'd definitely do if I were operating a hard drive above 3000 m is to set it to run continuously as starting and stopping will provide significantly more opportunity for a head crash.
Came from a communication with aviationsafety posted on the other board.

I have an Xplore. It is rated above 3000 m (factory specs). They are mil-certified. I've used mine at FL190 without a problem.

FOund the following certification test report - the model I have has passed a 15,000 altitude test - I believe that the manual for my unit specifies >16,000. I'm usually at 17K and below.

http://www.axelgroup.fi/images/iX104TestSummaryv4.pdf

Back