need a recommendation on a shop for a Case inspection

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
Hi,
need to get a Case inspection and possible repair on a Continental IO-550.
Shop sent it somewhere and they can't get to it for months...
Would appreciate the help.
best,
dan

Not sure there's an abundance of choice, but I'm not an engine builder. I only ever hear of Divco in Tulsa or Nickson's in Santa Maria.

thanks. I'm looking at just NO timeline... it's been in he shop for 6 weeks, and they can't tell me if it's two weeks or two years before they can get to it.

Divco.
Crankcase Services.

i’ve used both, but not recently.

I’m guessing there isn’t a shop just sitting on their hands right now waiting to inspect/repair a case. You’ll likely be waiting months at them all. As far as I can tell, some of the big name engine overhaul shops send their cases out too, so you may be waiting in line behind some bigger clients that bring volume into the case shops.

Divco and Crankcase Services are probably two of the most commonly used case shops. I know Central Cylinder does some case work and I believe Airworx does too. I’m sure there are a few others that are lesser known as well.

I’ve been happy with my experiences at CSI but their backlog is likely pretty long right now. The last one I sent in took something like 8 months to come back (I got it back last winter). It might have been even longer than that the more I think about it.

Well you’ve nailed it. This is my experience… Need a case inspection and it may never happen. I’ve got to find a smaller shop it sounds

What are you needing inspected? If you suspect cracks anyone can clean and dye-pen for cracks.

If ypu need tolerances checked that would require calibrated measuring devices and a few fixtures but a good anp would be able to give a go-no go

Back