Need a recommendation for a ladies headset

kirkusinnc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kirk Smith
Several female members of the club where I volunteer to manage pilot supplies are looking for a recommendation for a headset which actually fits someone with a smaller/smallish head. Apparently, many sets cannot be sized down enough so the pad will actually sit on top of their heads so they end up wedging in a piece of foam or other soft material to fill that space.

Did some searches but came up empty. So, I'm looking for recommendations on a good headset for the ladies.

Regards, Kirk

My favorite for piston flying is the SoftComm C90 (ANR). For the jets, I just got a Lightspeed, which I find gets uncomfortable at about 2.5 hours. Doesn't bode well for my upcoming 9+ hour legs next month.

edit to add, Bose were way too big for my head. They'd fall back off my head on rotation...

Last edited:
Quiet Technologies Halo's or Clarity Alofts

+1

Have the ladies try some plain old foam in-ear earplugs for a couple hours. If they are not bothered by the feeling of those, then try Halo. You can get more fancy earmolds if needed.

My wife likes her Clarity Alofts. Before that she wore lightspeeds (culminating in the 30-3G). Her first headsets were flightcoms. Flightcom (and presumably others) used to make a pillow that you could clip around the top head band that allowed the ear pieces to position better for small heads.

One great way is to go to Airventure or a larger pilot shop where you can try multiple ones on.

I addition to the idea for the Halo's, try to borrow a range of different headsets and ask the ladies to give them a try. You need to give them a variety to choose from and try.

Headsets are sorta like SCUBA masks and fins.... what works for one is not the best fit for the other. But with enough examples to select from, your ladies should (hopefully) be able to select the design they all like.

My wife hated her previous headset, but is very comfortable wearing her new Pilot PA-1771T ANR headset. She wore it for a 5 day scenic flight from Seattle, down the California coast and then across the country to Virginia. The frame is wider at the top, so it places less pressure on each ear cup and seems to rely on softer ear pads to make a good seal for the passive part of the noise reduction. My only complaint about these headsets is that they eat 9 V batteries pretty quickly for the active part of the noise reduction.

Many of the headset companies have different sizes of cushions for the top of the head. Not usually advertised but it call the company, theycan help you out. I know Lightspeed and Clarity have this. Also, Oregon Aero have the cushions for the top of the headset.

Try Halos. Money back guarantee. Comes with foam AND silicone tips, is worn around the back of the neck and won't give them headset hair.

Why do you guys make me tell them myself?? :rolleyes2: hehe, j/k I don't mind.

Kurk, just let her go on our site, and pick out whatever she wants. For her smaller head, go with the half-flex mic, the leatherette earseals and the sheepskin headpad. We also have a small or child size headband as well if you think she is that petite.

Just let me know if you have any questions, and the link is in the sig. :)

Last edited:
Back