Need a Prop...

plongson

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
plongson
So, the sad story is...we've had a vibration and had a guy come out to check/balance our prop. Turns out the prop is bad. Not so much out of balance but "bent"...where one blade is running one inch out of plane with the other...makes it "wobble".

Bottom line...we need a new prop. These buggers are 6 to 8 weeks out. Does ANYONE have information on who to call that MIGHT have a prop in stock? Lots going on right now and we sure could use a new prop...and not wait 2 months.

It's a Piper Cherokee 160 PA-28, Lycoming, prop is 74DM6-0-60

Thanks in advance!! Anything is appreciated!

Looks like there are a few used 58” pitch props and a 60” pitch one on Barnstormers, based on a quick search.

Sending yours in for repair may also be an option.

The first place I'd try is Sensenich's repair facility in Lancastesr, PA. See if they can either fix yours or get a line on an overhauled one. They did a good job on my Hartzell, even.

So, the sad story is...we've had a vibration and had a guy come out to check/balance our prop. Turns out the prop is bad. Not so much out of balance but "bent"...where one blade is running one inch out of plane with the other...makes it "wobble".

Bottom line...we need a new prop. These buggers are 6 to 8 weeks out. Does ANYONE have information on who to call that MIGHT have a prop in stock? Lots going on right now and we sure could use a new prop...and not wait 2 months.

It's a Piper Cherokee 160 PA-28, Lycoming, prop is 74DM6-0-60

Thanks in advance!! Anything is appreciated!
1" out?!?!? I'd say you may need more than just a new prop!

I can't answer your question but I do wonder how long it has been that way. That's a lot of "wobble!" How was it bent?

I check tracking on my prop during the yearly inspection and whenever checking prop bolt torque. I'm curious how long this has been missed. I'm also curious what other damage may be found due to running a bent prop.

There are lessons here for all of us ...

First THANKS!! for the quick feedback, gives me somewhere to start.

Second, we bought this plane in January out of Alabama. Relied on locals in the area to provide the inspections and verification of the condition of the plane. So far it's beyond disappointing. The plane is nice but it was grossly over sold and under documented. That's the risk buying "sight unseen". I'm feeling like we weren't raped but it was non-consensual sex. The more we get into it, the more that was not disclosed.

It is what it is and we're moving forward.

I'm gonna call the shops recommended, keep the intel coming!!

THANK YOU!

First THANKS!! for the quick feedback, gives me somewhere to start.

Second, we bought this plane in January out of Alabama. Relied on locals in the area to provide the inspections and verification of the condition of the plane. So far it's beyond disappointing. The plane is nice but it was grossly over sold and under documented. That's the risk buying "sight unseen". I'm feeling like we weren't raped but it was non-consensual sex. The more we get into it, the more that was not disclosed.

It is what it is and we're moving forward.

I'm gonna call the shops recommended, keep the intel coming!!

THANK YOU!
Sucks but that's more the norm than the exception these days. Fortunately it seems the market is starting to cool off. I would highly suggest have the crank runout checked. That prop didn't just bend on it's own. I'm guessing no log entry for any previous prop overhauls or tear down inspections for sudden stoppage?

Before spending the money to ship it out I would measure the length to make sure it's in spec and if painted sand it down to see if there are any dents or nicks that have been filled. A local guy flew a 175 back 3/4 of the way across the country. Complained about a vibration, saw the same runout issue. Cleaned it up before shipping it to save a few bucks and found several major dents that had been filled with bondo.

With all your help...I have a few angles going. Possible repair of our prop, or Tiffen Aire in Ohio has 5 in stock. Talked to our local guy here, where it will be installed and he will check the crank for TIR. If that friggn crank is bent, the game is over.

Wish us luck...

If that friggn crank is bent, the game is over.

Not attempting to stoke any fear but my concern would be that the crank might check within spec on runout and still have a crack. It's obvious that at this point you do not know how the prop was damaged. That kind of damage leaves me to conclude a prop strike may have been the cause.

I don't believe there's any chance the previous owner(s) would acknowledge any of this ...

With all your help...I have a few angles going. Possible repair of our prop, or Tiffen Aire in Ohio has 5 in stock. Talked to our local guy here, where it will be installed and he will check the crank for TIR. If that friggn crank is bent, the game is over.

Wish us luck...

Tiffin Aire is awesome to work with. When we put the 3-blade on the R182 they delivered it right to our hangar @ KBJJ. No delivery fee, as I recall.

Jim

Sucks but that's more the norm than the exception these days. Fortunately it seems the market is starting to cool off. I would highly suggest have the crank runout checked. That prop didn't just bend on it's own. I'm guessing no log entry for any previous prop overhauls or tear down inspections for sudden stoppage?
That there. An inch of difference at the tips is a serious runout. The old rule of thumb for crank runout was .010", and it will be beyond that if it's the crank that's off.

It might be just that someone pulled real hard on the end of a blade to get the airplane moving over soft ground or something. That's well within repairable limits.

There are good reasons students are told to pull on the blade near the spinner. Some people keep insisting that the propeller pulls the entire airplane so it's strong enough to pull anywhere you like on the prop, but they don't understand that centrifugal forces are a big part of keeping that prop straight under thrust loads. The propeller is even designed to have the blade masses located slightly ahead of the hub center so that centrifugal forces pull the prop blade back against the thrust, keeping it close to neutral. There is much more engineering than meets the eye on so much of an airplane.

Back