Need a PoA Probable Cause- Helo Crash Pearl Harbor

We've already speculated on another thread. I believe it's either SWP or a high speed shaft failure. Just did the later in the sim a week ago and survived!:D

I also am inclined to agree with Art on the other thread in that they really didn't have much of a sink rate developed to be in SWP. Possibly the weight and a slight tailwind complicated matters and led to the SWP condition.:dunno: It's a B206 so it's not exactly over powered when it comes to these types of operations.

When I replay the link and listen to the engine sound I'm thinking short-shaft failure now. That and insufficient speed/altitude for a good auto.

When I replay the link and listen to the engine sound I'm thinking short-shaft failure now. That and insufficient speed/altitude for a good auto.
Is that because it sounds like increasing RPM while the helo begins to drop?

The steam from the hot turbine section in the water indicates a slight headwind, not a tailwind.

Sunspots.

Nauga,
from where a miss is as good as a mile

Either shaft failure or sprag clutch slippage.

I sure hope the person with the camera put it down and RAN to help those folks. God I hate videos where they keep rolling and stand there like idiots.

I sure hope the person with the camera put it down and RAN to help those folks. God I hate videos where they keep rolling and stand there like idiots.

I was thinking the same thing... Stand there and watch them drown like an idiot.

Shaft failure sounds like a reasonable explanation based on what I could see and hear.

There was another article with an interview with the person taking the video. He and others immediately jumped in to save those trapped under water.

Either shaft failure or sprag clutch slippage.

Based on this, sprag clutch failure would be my guess, given the sound track of accelerating engine. I haven't seen any data for 206 main rotor shaft failures.

Last edited:
As I commented in the other thread, he ran out of airspeed, altitude, and options all at the same time. Tough spot to be in. It does appear that he made a conscious decision to impact in the water instead of dirt, probably saving lives - including, not so incidentally, his.

Added: I wonder if this will result in low altitude limits on the tour choppers.

Back