Need a pilot saying to inscribe on a gift for my dad

cory127

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Cory
For my dads 60th birthday I got him a mahogany model of his plane- a piper cherokee 180. Wanted to have something inscribed on it and need ideas. For a sailor I'd do something like "fair winds and following seas". Looking for a pilots version of something similar. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How 'bout what not to put... I've seen the "slip the surly bonds" poem and the "when you have flown you will walk the earth" quotes done to death.

Rather than go with something well known, I'd personalize it. Your dad, his airplane, I'm assuming you've flown with him. How bout something that reminds him of him, you and a pleasant summer afternoon aloft in the plane?

"Clear skies and tailwinds" (or "blue skies") would be a good equivalent, but...

How 'bout what not to put... I've seen the "slip the surly bonds" poem and the "when you have flown you will walk the earth" quotes done to death.

Rather than go with something well known, I'd personalize it. Your dad, his airplane, I'm assuming you've flown with him. How bout something that reminds him of him, you and a pleasant summer afternoon aloft in the plane?

:yeahthat:

For my dads 60th birthday I got him a mahogany model of his plane- a piper cherokee 180. Wanted to have something inscribed on it and need ideas. For a sailor I'd do something like "fair winds and following seas". Looking for a pilots version of something similar. Thanks.

The common sayings along those lines are "blue skies" "tailwinds", but yeah, what the others said, make it personal.

Well there is the cheesy devinci quote everyone and their brother uses

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return

Keep the shiny side up

Our you could keep it short and sweet and use a term some of the industry guys use

blue skies

As a Dad myself, I would recommend something that would remind him of a shared memory, perhaps involving the plane. My mahogany clock says "Worlds Greatest Dad", but he was only about five when he came up,with that. It still brings a smile to my face 15 years later, though.

"You're only are good as your last landing".

"If God had meant for man to fly he would have given us more money".

"Take-off, Fly, Land, Smile, Repeat".

"The four forces of Flight: Visa, Discover, Mastercard, Americian Express".

"A mile of road takes you a mile; a mile of runway can take you anywhere".

Chris

"Better to rent if it flies, floats, or ..."

I know MY Dad would smile every time he read that.

Something personal that you and your dad have shared, I like those ideas. Wish I would have done something like that while my dad was still with us.

Or what my last boss used to tell me. "Don't break the plane, we need to use it again." :rolleyes2::)

Thanks everyone

The two most feared words in aviation.

"Watch this...."

Might be a little long but I have always enjoyed the following:

"To most the sky is the limit, to Us it is home"

"Flying is the 2nd greatest thrill known to Man, the 1st is landing"

If it flies, floats, or ****s, its probably cheaper to rent.

"Cherokee 123, cleared for takeoff"

or

"Cherokee 123, you're number 1..."

" Dad your my favorite Pilot "

" Dad for all the great times in the sky "

" Dad thanks for all the great memories "

You're a little high but at least you're fast.

"Only three rules to a perfect landing..."

"His number of landings equaled his number of takeoffs"

"Takeoffs are optional. . . landings are not"

Back