Need a headset with PTT capability

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
OK, I'm NOT referring to an aviation headset. I'm usually the Google God (or so my friends say) and can find anything, but after a conversation with Plantronics online support and hour with Google, I'm asking for your help. I can't be the only one who wants this!

Background: I telecommute often. Work in a data center as an architecture engineer. Lots of servers and hardware. Am on-call via rotation, and can end up on a conference bridge with vendors, technicians, and other co-workers for hours. I usually plug a 2.5mm wired headset/earbud/microphone into my home phone's headset jack, or the 2.5mm plug on my cell phone so I can type with both hands and not crook my neck to one side.

The problem: I have to turn on the mute feature on the phone. Two-button process with my cell, three (menu option) on my home phone. Creates two issues: takes me longer to respond when somebody asks a question (have to get off mute), and if I forget to RE-ENABLE mute, family conversations in the background (or comments I make) can be heard by colleagues -- don't ask, it's another thread! :)

So I spent time looking today for either a headset with a PTT switch (always on mute unless I push the button, like air traffic control or a dispatcher would have), or an aftermarket 2.5mm inline PTT button.

Couldn't find either!!! Plantronics makes headsets for dispatchers that do this, but for $500+. They don't make them for home users. Radio Shack didn't have them either.

I can find cell phone headsets/earbuds with "PTT", but their PTT means "enable voice dialing", not the "stay on mute until I push this button, and go back to mute when I let go".

I'm starting to think I will have to build my own. Momentary SPST normally open push switch?

Help me find one for reasonable? I can't be the only one who'd buy one of these. The plantronic's guy said so!! (he was surprised they didn't have one).

Hi Troy,

Most PTT products that I've seen (that you'd be interested in) from Plantronics end in a PJ7 connector, not two 2.5mm plugs.

The PJ7 connector (used in ATC facilities) draws current from the jack its plugged into to activate the microphone and amplify the audio. I once tried tinkering with an ATC PTT switch's PJ7 connector (turned it into two 2.5mm plugs), but wasn't able to do much with it because I couldn't get the correct power to it.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for something like you described.

Most PTT products that I've seen (that you'd be interested in) from Plantronics end in a PJ7 connector, not two 2.5mm plugs.

Thanks, Jason. What I would need has ONE 2.5mm plug on the end (standard cell phone interface). That one plug carries audio to the ear and microphone back to the phone. I'm not looking for anything as heavy duty as what ATC uses, just mentioned that to illustrate the functionality I want/need.

I want to hear all the time, but they only hear my voice if I'm holding down a button... as soon as I let go, it goes back on mute. Doesn't have to actually activate the phone's mute functionality, just interrupt the microphone's current.

I wouldn't think it would be hard to make. I have a cell phone ear bug that has a momentary on "push to mute" button in line on the cord...

come to think of it, I have a desktop headset with a mute button on the console, but of course I can't recall the make now

1.) Go to Radioshack
2.) Buy switch
3.) Splice into cable
4.) Done deal.

Plantronics makes lots of headsets with mute functionality. There models have a toggle switch/button on the headset cord so there is no need to mess with the wired/wireless phone settings. It’s quick, easy and cheap. I attached a pdf of a Plantronics headset with mute that retails for $35. If you want the PTT ability like what is used with two-way radio communications then you will probably need to build it or ante up.

Attachments

• mx500blk_print_en.pdf
    413.7 KB · Views: 1
1.) Go to Radioshack
2.) Buy switch
3.) Splice into cable
4.) Done deal.

That's what I plan to do this weekend. Found the pinouts for the 4-pole 2.5mm plugs, so I know which pins carry the mic information.

People keep saying "there are lots of them with a mute button". I know that. I don't want one with a mute button. I want one with an UNmute button, and NOT a switch that I have to remember to turn off. I want a momentary (spring loaded) button that, when depressed, completes the circuit and lets me talk (like in the airplane). When I take my finger off, the circuit automatically opens (and, effectively, mutes).

Back