Need a destination or two...

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
...For my dual commercial X/C's. I'd like to do an "out" leg, dinner, and a "back" leg.

So, I need something that's at least 100nm from MSN (more like 200nm or more), restaurant on/near the field.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Eagle Creek, Indianapolis. (KEYE) (about 250NM)

Or fly down to Peoria and spend time with Dr. Bruce & Susan. (about 150NM)

Otherwise, Litchfield, MN (40 W of Minneapolis) has decent ribs. Leslie and I flew there for dinner once. (about 250NM)

or Price County, WI (KPBH) (160NM) -- there's a nice restaurant just off the airport that you can walk to . Not sure if they have dinner, though I suspect they do.

Oh yeah, the new restaurant at Muncie (KMIE) is pretty good. About 250NM.
Lamberts is always good, but a little far.

Last edited:
IA24 for steak next wedensday.

C17, CID, or IA24 any weekday for supper, I'll pick you up.

KEST for pizza

4I7 Putnam Co IN 230 nm, $3.74 100LL, diner and rooms available at the FBO, Dixie Chopper Air. One of my favorite stops.

Gary

I know CPS and SUS used to have restaurants on the field, but I'm not sure if they still do. CPS will give you a great view of downtown St. Louis and the Arch as you go in and out.

Looks like a good place... Might use that as a stop on a future X/C. I've always wanted to see it, as I drive almost right past but below it (I-74 runs just south of the dam).

Otherwise, Litchfield, MN (40 W of Minneapolis) has decent ribs. Leslie and I flew there for dinner once. (about 250NM)

Nothing at all on AirNav about this... How do you get there?

or Price County, WI (KPBH) (160NM) -- there's a nice restaurant just off the airport that you can walk to . Not sure if they have dinner, though I suspect they do.

I think I'm gonna make that a stop on the way to/from 6Y9. Sounds like a nice little place.

IA24 for steak next wedensday.

C17, CID, or IA24 any weekday for supper, I'll pick you up.

KEST for pizza

I'm only coming to Iowa if you throw a party for me. :D

4I7 Putnam Co IN 230 nm, $3.74 100LL, diner and rooms available at the FBO, Dixie Chopper Air. One of my favorite stops.

Wow, that's another good one. I think I'm gonna save it for future reference on a trip with a club (or my own?) plane. I'm gonna be in a rental, so I don't care nearly as much about cheap gas this time.

I know CPS and SUS used to have restaurants on the field, but I'm not sure if they still do. CPS will give you a great view of downtown St. Louis and the Arch as you go in and out.

Looks like CPS does...

Thanks to all for the great suggestions! I'll take a look at weather tomorrow and go wherever the plane points me. :)

6Y9 is more than 100nm (shamelss plug) :)

If it's a weekend, meet me at 3MY and we'll go OUT to lunch nearby. I'm only 1.3 from the FBO. If interested, I'll email particulars. :)

flyingcheesehead said:
gprellwitz said:
Looks like a good place... Might use that as a stop on a future X/C. I've always wanted to see it, as I drive almost right past but below it (I-74 runs just south of the dam).
Leslie and I started going there when she was living in Indy for work. Good food!

flyingcheesehead said:
gprellwitz said:
Nothing at all on AirNav about this... How do you get there?
Learned about Peter's on Lake Ripley on the old 100dollarhamburger site, where it had 5 burgers. I think I'd give it about 4. Call ahead to make sure they're still there, though they're in the current Chamber of Commerce directory, and have a website:http://www.petersribs.com/. At first I thought we just walked there, but now I'm thinking the airport had a courtesy car with the keys in a drawer.

http://www.petersribs.com/
flyingcheesehead said:
gprellwitz said:
I think I'm gonna make that a stop on the way to/from 6Y9. Sounds like a nice little place.
My uncle has a place just up the road from there, and he picked me up at this airport. It's also the only airport from which I ever gave my dad a ride, only a couple of months before he passed!

Last edited:
Well Kent came down to Ames today for supper. He supposedly left Madison at 3, and then at 6, but finally made it here at 9 PM. I dropped him off at the restaurant and left to enjoy the fireworks. saw him again at the airport as we both were leaving for home.

Well Kent came down to Ames today for supper. He supposedly left Madison at 3, and then at 6, but finally made it here at 9 PM. I dropped him off at the restaurant and left to enjoy the fireworks. saw him again at the airport as we both were leaving for home.

Yeah. Thanks go to Matt for letting me use his car, even though I never saw him! (You've gotta call me when you get up in the Madison area to pick up the Fly Baby. :yes:)

It was a good trip - First time I've really done pure pilotage and DR in quite a while. Sure, I follow along with my finger on the chart most of the time, but it's been a while since I actually put down a pencil line, picked visual checkpoints, etc. I'll be darned, that stuff still works! :D

My times on the way down were all within a minute except when Joe handed me some Foggles and said "You just flew into a cloud!" (Dammit, I want to GET THERE, not do a 180!) He pestered me with lots of questions for the oral to keep me busy too.

I wanted to get a grass strip claimed for the ConUS challenge, but the one I'd chosen, Traer (8C6) was a bit dicey. The Arrow IV is a major runway hog. We went around the pattern once, buzzed the runway (which looked very well mowed), around the pattern again for a T&G to see how it really was... I thought it'd be doable, but Joe didn't like it too much and I figured I'd rather just get to Ames anyway. Oh well, next time. :(

Tony was at the airport when we arrived, standing next to his "Cute" red Ercoupe. We fueled up and headed into town. Tony went to watch the fireworks, but we had more pressing needs, like food. I also wanted to get home as early as possible because I still had to drive. After an excellent burger at Wallaby's, it was back to the airport. We'd taken a lot more time than I wanted to. Tony took off in the Ercoupe (BTW, that thing looks BAD ASS at night with the dual landing lights mounted on the mains!)

We launched into the darkness and... The gear wouldn't come up. I *think* it's the left main that's finicky sometimes, but I couldn't tell for sure this time. I ended up having to extend and retract it again. I do not like this airplane. :no:

Ah, night. Night's interesting. It's a bit harder in some ways, easier in others. Especially in northeastern Iowa, there's not a whole heckuva lot out there. During the day, though, you can easily see N/S/E/W with all the roads and section lines making a nice grid on the ground so it's easy to see what orientation things are to each other. At night, that becomes more difficult but you can see the cities from a much greater distance. So, as long as you keep very good track of what's what, it's OK. I did a lot of CTAF clicking to light up fields as we went by to verify position. (73C, Lancaster, WI did not come on - Or at least I never did see it. I saw where it should have been, but there was nothing there.)

In fact, I think I heard Tony calling base to final at Greencastle. Tony, is IA24 on 122.9? Didja get there just after midnight?

Since we did have to make sure we got in 2.0 to get the requirement done and we ended up with a bit higher than expected tailwind on the way home, I was watching the hobbs fairly closely toward the end of the flight. I'd been somewhat surprised that Joe hadn't pulled the engine on me on the way back (he did as we were arriving at Ames), and when he made some comment about our arrival at Madison I said "Awww, aren't ya gonna pull the engine on me?" He said "OK" and down we went. :D I managed an almost perfect glide to Morey, but rather than set it down he had me do a go-around at the absolute last instant (probably would have touched down a second later). It was good to practice a night go-around.

We hopped over the lake to Madison, parked, and shut down. 2.1 on the hobbs for the return trip (2.2 down). And, all of my requirements are done for the commercial. Well, except for not sucking at lazy 8's. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all of the excellent suggestions! I have a few places to go now. :)

Tony took off in the Ercoupe (BTW, that thing looks BAD ASS at night with the dual landing lights mounted on the mains!)
In fact, I think I heard Tony calling base to final at Greencastle. Tony, is IA24 on 122.9? Didja get there just after midnight?

yep that was me. arrived right on time according to my pretakeoff groundspeed estimate of about 100 knots, accounting for a slow climb to 5500.

i kinda thought it would look pretty cool at night. those landing lights are powerful, in fact, too powerful. they will be a draw on the electrical system unless you are running cruise RPM. notice how I didnt have them on at first during taxi? On other problem I noticed was that the back of the prop isnt painted black. this makes this really cool reflection in the prop disc. in fact with the landing light on you can just see this solid whit edisk in front. this is of course, pretty cool looking, unlees you are trying to keep the christmas tree light bulbs for runway lights in sight at green castle. oh and you better keep that centerline cause the approach is between trees. so on the approach i decide the landing light was more distraction than it was worth and left it off. Never did see the trees but managed to get it down and stopped. Im probably the only person to fly that thing at night in like a long long time so there really isnt much motivation to make it a nice night flying airplane. a can of spray paint on the back of the prop would go far though.

glad you had fun. too bad we didnt see more of you.

And, all of my requirements are done for the commercial. Well, except for not sucking at lazy 8's. :rolleyes:

The key here is lazy, not only in the way the manuever is flown, but in what you actually do with the plane. If you hit the pitch and airspeed correctly in the fisrt 45 degrees of the maneuver, you can pretty much fly it hands off for the next 135 degrees. It even worked the first time I flew in a Bonanza with Spike. Pitch, Pitch, Bank to start the 8, make sure you are highest pitch at 45 degrees, and let go of the yoke. Honest. Just try flying it with your fingers only touching the underside of the yoke to gently control the aileron input. Shouldn't need any stabilator input for the rest of the 180. Then you just need to help in pitch when you roll out to the 180. Of course all of this requires the trim being set to your starting (and finishing) airspeed. When I fly the lazy 8s I will be both above and below my starting altitude, usually about 300', but they always seem to find the initial altitude on the 180 point. With the PA28s you pretty much just need em trimmed, and they do the rest of it for you. Lazy 8's were the hardest manuever for me to accomplish in prep for the commercial as well. Mostly because I was trying to fly the plane, instead of letting the plane do the manuever by itself.

Lazy 8's were the hardest manuever for me to accomplish in prep for the commercial as well. Mostly because I was trying to fly the plane, instead of letting the plane do the manuever by itself.

Yeah, with the Arrow IV the 2nd 45 consists of holding the yoke where it was at the end of the 1st 45.

I actually got them pretty good in practice yesterday. Then, I went out with the CFI I used for my instrument, 'cuz it was my current CFI's wife's birthday. CFII said I was still doing them too fast. Huh??? :confused: I don't think I can possibly do them any slower. I'd guess it takes 2 minutes for me to hit the 180. And he's a good instructor - Too good. After debriefing, I now feel like I'm further from the checkride than when I took my first lesson for the comm. :(

Blame it on it being a T-tail. lol

Maybe by too fast he means the initiation of the lazy 8. 2 minutes to do 1/2 of a lazy 8? That seems way slow.

Glad you had a good trip Kent! It's nice to follow your progress. Still doing some multi? Or, is that on hold for awhile?

Best,

Dave

Back