need a bit of help: what to do after CPL

bavreze

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
bavareze
Hello guys!

background: just passed my CPL checkride yesterday, had IFR rating since 2016 and PPL since 2011, flew about 850 hrs so far in about 35 us states, mexico, caribbean and europe. Previously owned c172, now with a m20c. I have a budget for moving forward. However, I'm the kind of guy who changes his own tires and works hard during annuals to save a few hundred bucks here and there if possible. I'm 37 now and had 1st class medical 2 years ago.

purpose: to be able to support myself and my family doing something in aviation within the next 3 years or so (now I still have an income but would like to move on)

question: what to do next, wisely?

So far I narrowed down to 2 options: CFI or build 1500 hrs total (100 hrs multi) and apply for job at regional airlines.

Still, each option moving forward involves a significant amount of money, time and effort and I would like to use these resources in a smart way.

I like explaining things and many people, including the last DPE I met, said I could do a good job teaching and that I would be a good instructor. However, I know as a CFI I can probably make around $25/hr with no guaranteed work, contracting for a local flight school. Plus, the CFI checkride is tough (I heard scary stories like "you should go do this in texas, in socal they CFI fail rate is 95% etc") and my Mooney does not have brakes on the copilot side so that could be a problem.

If I aim for airlines then I probably have to spend some $$$ on more flight time and go for multi IFR/commercial add on. Which splits the path in 2: rent a twin and spend $30k or buy a cheap one (such as a piper apache), fly the 100hrs, then sell it (and save probably $15 but get ready to deal with A&P, IA, prebuy, ebay etc.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Look at skydiving operations (there's a few in your area) or wildlife survey. Both will typically take on people with your quals.

Up to you to make the decision. At least the regionals pay is going up to respectable level to start a career there. You will be away from home a lot if you have wife and kids. CFI you should be able to make anywhere from $25 to $50-75/hr, especially in CA. I doubt the CFI failure rate in CA is 95%.

I think I'll get multi add on for ifr and commercial at the same time and then maybe buy a twin and fly it 100 hrs to gain the required experience... thanks for the input

I think I'll get multi add on for ifr and commercial at the same time and then maybe buy a twin and fly it 100 hrs to gain the required experience... thanks for the input
Most regionals only require 25 hours Multi. You need 50 to get your ATP but they will count 25 that you get in the sim during training.

Get the multi /IFR/Commercial,then hook up with a part 135 charter outfit,and build time om their dime. Of course purchasing a cheap multi time builder isn't that badf an idea.

Get a job?

Build hours and value in yourself as a pilot.

DZ, banner ops (if you have tailwheel time), travel to Namibia or Botswana, or build a little more time to 1k and check out TZ and fly charter in some cool places in a 208 (good QOL), CFI or drop zones, at 1k you should be able to get into a turbine DZ.

Most regionals only require 25 hours Multi. You need 50 to get your ATP but they will count 25 that you get in the sim during training.

I already started multi ifr/commercial add-on. I figured that is never wrong.

Now you say I can start at regional with 25 multi and without ATP and get ATP later only?

Get a job?

Build hours and value in yourself as a pilot.

DZ, banner ops (if you have tailwheel time), travel to Namibia or Botswana, or build a little more time to 1k and check out TZ and fly charter in some cool places in a 208 (good QOL), CFI or drop zones, at 1k you should be able to get into a turbine DZ.

what is that DZ and TZ??

Ya CFI ride isn’t easy but instructing can be a pretty rewarding way to build those 1500hrs. Lots of options out there if you’re willing to look for them.

Just posing some rhetorical questions:
Would you be interested in a non-flying job within aviation?
What are you doing now? Do you have job skills desirable in aviation companies?

I already started multi ifr/commercial add-on. I figured that is never wrong.

Now you say I can start at regional with 25 multi and without ATP and get ATP later only?

Yes, most regionals will hire you if you have 25 hours of multi and meet all other requirements for an ATP. You will earn your ATP as part of your initial training with the airline.

Yes, most regionals will hire you if you have 25 hours of multi and meet all other requirements for an ATP. You will earn your ATP as part of your initial training with the airline.

The only reason they want 25hrs or whatever for multi time is it's a requirement to have XX hours in category and class to get the initial ATP, and being able to get the ATP and a pulse are all the regionals require.

and my Mooney does not have brakes on the copilot side so that could be a problem.

I did my CFI in a Piper Arrow that did not have right side brakes. I just had the examiner do the brakes for me.

95% failure rate in California..?? I would sure like to hear the story behind that.

Last edited:
I did my CFI in a Piper Arrow that did not have right side brakes. I just had the examiner do the brakes for me.

95% failure rate in California..?? I would sure like to hear t he story behind that.

Right, did my intitial CFI out of the riverside FSDO, passed first try.

Back