Need 2D files for Cessna 1963 182F

fivezero

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Chuck Graham
I am planning a new glass panel in my 182. I had plans to make my own replacement panel and was wondering if anyone had 2d files for the dimensions of the panel. If not I will just have to do a lot of measuring to make a 2d model to figure out my panel and all the placement issues. I am hoping someone already has a model with the panel supports. If you have something let me know.

Thanks
Chuck

If you post a picture or two if your panel that would help. I May have a drawing that would work.

if anyone had 2d files for the dimensions of the panel.
Perhaps look to various type clubs or other online venues for a file. It seemed each time there was a need to fabricate a panel the owner would source a file free online ready for the CNC machine.

Pictures attached. I figured someone has already done the work. If I have to make the model myself, I will post it up for others.

Thanks
Chuck

I am interested, too. I have a 62E, and I would like to change the panel. Mine looks exactly like the pictures. I would like to cut a new panel and get a glareshield that was squared off more, like the modern Cessnas. Has anyone done that? I think the squared off panels allow for a more rectangular arrangement of the 6 pack. I have trouble imagining an effective scan with the altimeter by my left knee.

E model is the same as my F model. I have heard of a guy removing the panel structure from a newer 182 and getting put in his older 182 but it does require field approval.

I am interested, too. I have a 62E...I have trouble imagining an effective scan with the altimeter by my left knee.

There's nothing preventing you from moving your CDIs down to the lower row and moving the ASI and Altimeter up to the upper-right and middle-right position.

I did that in my '62E and it does help the scan. It's still not the 'conventional' arrangement, but you get used to it quickly and it's not a problem for me because I rarely fly IFR in someone else's plane.

FWIW, if you are cutting a new floating panel, there is plenty of room for a more-or-less conventional 6-pack arrangement if that's your goal. (The plane originally came with WW2 vintage DG and AI which were massive compared modern gyros.) If you do this, the existing plastic overlay panel will no longer fit of course. This is really the only thing keeping me from going this route. I think the panel looks bad without the overlay. Lots of people feel otherwise, though. I'd say half the E/F/G models I've seen have the overlay missing - either because it broke and got tossed or they where changing the instruments to a different configuration.

Some people replace the floating panel with a larger, fixed panel (no need for shock mounting if you're all solid-state) and these tend to look better. Others cut out everything back to the structure, and replace the entire thing with a single one-piece panel that holds everything including instruments, radios, switches and circuit breakers, etc. Obviously the most expensive route.

Lots of options.

C.

I plan to upgrade to Dynon HDX system so I am probably going to have to cut my panel and get a field approval with the one piece replacement panel. I will do a before 2d model of the panel and post it up to this thread.

In my experience, the FSDO is primarily concerned with your mounting provisions and material used. If you use existing mounting provisions and the same type & thickness of metal (or one thickness up), they (again, in my experience) don't care if you cut & install a new panel. I simply state it on the 337 for the whole project

Pictures attached. I figured someone has already done the work. If I have to make the model myself, I will post it up for others.

Thanks
Chuck
What is the “Alpha Systems” item at the top of your center stack?

Just a wild guess here because I'm too lazy to Google, but since it says 'AOA' right on it, I'm thinking it's an Angle of Attack indicator.

Also, in aerodynamics 'alpha' is the Greek letter commonly used to denote wing angle of attack to the relative air flow.

C.

Older AOA as previously stated. I will be working up my own cad drawings and will post them when done. I plan to modify the panel as another member contacted me and did the same. He was kind enough to send me his plexiglass testy panel. It will allow me to create the cad drawing and I plan to add to it the structural members behind the panel. He was able to remove the structure and the new panel was thick enough to get an approval for the modification of removing the structure from the panel. I will start another thread documenting my progress. I hope to do this in March if I am able to get the avionics before then.

Back