Need 182 checkout

Flyfeld

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Flyfeld
I am located in northeast Pa and need my 182 checkout along with my high performance rating. I have 6 hours in the 182 therefore not much time needed. My flight school does not have a 182 for training and I am not aware of any school that does. If anyone knows of a school that does have a 182 please let me know. I will travel to accomplish this if necessary. Thanks in advance.

No such animal, there is no such thing as a 182 checkout, just a high performance sign off required per the FAA.

Some schools require a checkout, but they'd probably want it done in their own aircraft and with their own CFIs, that's not a FAA thing, but a individual gift school thing.

Thanks that makes sense, my insurance wanted some recent time in the 182 with instructor but no big deal I think it was two or three hours. Do you know off hand what the high performance sign off requirement is?
just a high performance sign off required per the FAA

Sure, there is a such thing as a 182 checkout. Just not required by the FAA.

Next to no one will rent a 182 to a private pilot without some sort of checkout.

To the OP, WHY do you need this if there are none available in your area? If you're buying one, travel for the checkout; it's small potatoes compared to what you're paying for the airplane. If you're doing this for CAP, train in one of their aircraft. It's quite a lot cheaper, anyway. I'm going through this for a 206 checkout at the moment. I may end up traveling to Auburn, CA for it.

Last edited:
You need a High Performance Endorsement from a CFI.

That is just a few hours in flight with a CFI until they are comfortable that you are proficient in a HP aircraft, then simply a CFi sign off.

THEN you need a checkout of whatever plane you wanna fly from whatever flight school you wanna rent. That checkout is specific to that flight school. (Although I did do my HP endorsement and 182 rental checkout all at one time)

The HP endorsement will carry over from FBO to FBO, the plane checkout will not.

Sounds like you have access to a 182. Then you just need a CFI that can give you the HP endorsement in any HP airplane then you can fly the 182 as PIC with a CFI that can help you with the transition into that plane. Insurance may dictate additional hours.

Last edited:
I know this is a little far for you but I have a few instructors in the Boston area (BVY and BED to be exact) that could help you out easily..if you want to take your own plane I would recommend Beverly Flight Center @ BVY- they did my transition training last year- PM me if you choose this option and I will recommend a few specific instructors there .

If you want to rent go to East Coast Aero Club at BED...they have a 182T there for rent.

Thanks that makes sense, my insurance wanted some recent time in the 182 with instructor but no big deal I think it was two or three hours. Do you know off hand what the high performance sign off requirement is?

Wait, is this for a 182 that you bought?

You need a High Performance Endorsement from a CFI.

That is just a few hours in flight with a CFI until they are comfortable that you are proficient in a HP aircraft, then simply a CFi sign off.

THEN you need a checkout of whatever plane you wanna fly from whatever flight school you wanna rent. That checkout is specific to that flight school.

The HP endorsement will carry over from FBO to FBO, the plane checkout will not.

Sounds like you have access to a 182. Then you just need a CFI that can give you the HP endorsement in any HP airplane then you can fly the 182 as PIC with a CFI that can help you with the transition into that plane. Insurance may dictate additional hours.

My insurance required I get 10 hours in a 182 with a instructor who had at least 10 previous hours in the type before they would sign me off for PIC coverage a year ago when I bought mine.

Looks like a
To the OP, WHY do you need this if there are none available in your area? If you're buying one, travel for the checkout
I am doing this for purchasing, just trying to get ahead of the game. Looks like I will just get my High Performance sign off in whatever I can locally and then deal with the couple of hours required by insurance when I buy. Thanks for the input.

Dude, from experience, make the most of it and buy your 182, ferry her back with a experienced 182 CFI, you'll be far better off in your own plane, and it'll be easier to find a better CFI if they don't also need to have a 182 of their own to teach you in, it'll be cheaper and you'll have instruction tailored to you and YOUR plane.

My insurance required I get 10 hours in a 182 with a instructor who had at least 10 previous hours in a 182 before they would sign me off for PIC
I have about 6 hours time in a 182 three years ago, maybe that why the insurance was only looking for a couple of hours.

I have about 6 hours time in a 182 three years ago, maybe that why the insurance was only looking for a couple of hours.

Yea prob...

But listen to @James331 advise above...I'll even volunteer to help you get it back home when you do buy!

Buy your 182, ferry her back with a experienced 182 pilot, you'll be far better off in your own plane, and it'll be easier to find a better CFI if they don't also need to have a 182, it'll be cheaper and you'll have instruction tailored for you and YOUR plane.
Agreed, but in my case I already have a friend who is airline pilot and used to instruct helping me ferry it back but he has little 182 time.

But listen to @James331 advise above...I'll even volunteer to help you get it back home when you do buy!
Appreciate that and will keep in mind, may be a fairly long trip. Seems that 182's like to live in the south.

You're wasting your time getting a HP endorsement in a different airplane. It's trivial. If you demonstrate to a CFI that you are safe to fly a 182, you'll get the HP endorsement. It's not like a type rating or glider add-on.

I'm sure if he looked, real hard, he could find the time in his log ;)

That said, if he doesn't have much, or recent, high performance piston time, you might be better off with a different CFI, being a B777 Capt doesn't mean you have any business behind the stick of say, a 185 or a 182, yeah, you won't likley crash it, but pistons require a little more of a touch than a turbine/jet.

I'd offer to help, but it wouldn't be free :)

Appreciate that and will keep in mind, may be a fairly long trip. Seems that 182's like to live in the south.

Sounds like fun! Honestly I'd be happy to help you out if needed if your friend doesn't work out.

BTW good choice on a 182. Not the best as any 1 thing but good at lots. Let us know if you have any questions...we have many a 182 drivers in here with plenty of different experiences.

I agree with what others have said. Buy first and do the training in your own airplane. If you buy something from the Southeast, i'd be willing to help you get it home.

You're wasting your time getting a HP endorsement in a different airplane. It's trivial. If you demonstrate to a CFI that you are safe to fly a 182, you'll get the HP endorsement. It's not like a type rating or glider add-on.

Yeah, but his insurance is dictating 10 hours Dual with a CFI that has 10 hours in type...which sounds like his friend does not have.

Which leads to the next question, will your insurance cover your CFI friend as PIC for the ferry flight with less than 10 hours in the 182?

Dude, from experience, make the most of it and buy your 182, ferry her back with a experienced 182 CFI, you'll be far better off in your own plane, and it'll be easier to find a better CFI if they don't also need to have a 182 of their own to teach you in, it'll be cheaper and you'll have instruction tailored to you and YOUR plane.

This is the way to do it. I'm a CFI in the Harrisburg area with enough (about 100 hours) of time in 182s ranging from A thru T models - let me know if I can help you in any way.

Yeah, but his insurance is dictating 10 hours Dual with a CFI that has 10 hours in type...which sounds like his friend does not have.
That was Neil W requirement not mine. I just reviewed the insurance quotes and there was one quote which was $300 higher but did not require time in type. I have options.

This is the way to do it. I'm a CFI in the Harrisburg area with enough (about 100 hours) of time in 182s ranging from A thru T models - let me know if I can help you in any way.
Awesome thanks!

Also willing to lend a helping hand, CFI/CFII with just under 400 hours in 182's (mainly the T model). Not sure I'd be able to fill a ferry time wise with my work schedule but if you had any questions I'd be happy to help answer them. I also know of a flight school in the Daytona Beach area that has a T model and does HP endorsements and another in the south florida area that does as well. I'm not active in the instructing world anymore so I don't know who else has em around these days, but figured I'd try to provide some info!

I would make sure you read over the entire insurance policy (if you haven't already) before they insured me in my 182 to fly with passengers i also needed 1.0 solo time in the 182! So just make sure you get all your bases covered!

Also I didn't see anyone post it but the FAR for what is technically required for the high performance endorsement can be found under 61.31f(.i.ii)

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...f96f71d01&mc=true&node=se14.2.61_131&rgn=div8

"f) Additional training required for operating high-performance airplanes. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (f)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a high-performance airplane (an airplane with an engine of more than 200 horsepower), unless the person has—

(i) Received and logged ground and flight training from an authorized instructor in a high-performance airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a high-performance airplane, and has been found proficient in the operation and systems of the airplane; and

(ii) Received a one-time endorsement in the pilot's logbook from an authorized instructor who certifies the person is proficient to operate a high-performance airplane.

(2) The training and endorsement required by paragraph (f)(1) of this section is not required if the person has logged flight time as pilot in command of a high-performance airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a high-performance airplane prior to August 4, 1997."

I have a 182RG that is rentable in Rapid City, SD. Pretty far away, but I've got a guy here flying it from Washington so you never know.

Did you ever get the checkout done
Nothing yet, still trying to decide how much airplane to buy. The best approach is probably find an airplane then figure it out from there depending where it is etc.

Back