Nebraska Plane crash

PoA has a DaleB who flies out of Millard - Dale please check in. Prayers for those lost and their families.

PoA has a DaleB who flies out of Millard - Dale please check in. Prayers for those lost and their families.
Very sad, but I think POA's DaleB hasn't been 26 in a long time.

Sad. Quite a few around here have flown that plane I'm sure...

There is a nice restaurant on the field at Norfolk. Probably out on a date?

Very sad.

Last edited:
I think that I have just over one hour in that airplane.

It also landed behind us a couple of weeks ago when Jesse and I flew into KMKC. I remember looking it up thinking that it was the one that I had flown before.

Bummer....

Especially sad to me when young people die. :mad:

Sounds like something went wrong from the beginning.

Several pilots witnessed the take off and said it was in trouble from the beginning .

Weather here was great, but lots of humidity, and haze.

Last edited:
There is SOOOO much space around there I have no idea why he didn't just reduce power and land if he had engine trouble. Power lines aren't even close to the runway.

Anyone know approx. where the airplane ended up? I'm confused as to how they almost hit the hangars. It's a very open airport.

I flew that Piper Arrow on Wednesday afternoon (4/24) and it was running just fine. I have that sinking feeling that the PIC missed something on his checklist or didn't have the fuel selector fully engaged.

Dale had the plane checked out from 5-8 PM that day which makes me wonder why he was just lifting off at 10:15 PM.

There are a lot of questions as is the case in most accidents like this.

"There but for the grace of God, go I."

Someone I talked to today suggested the gust lock was left in place? Anyone that is familiar with that plane care to comment?

The runway 14 would have been the preferred runway Saturday night, but that is a long taxi from the eatery. You would think he would have noticed a gust lock after a long taxi.

I certainly do not mean to impune the pilot's decision making, or skills. Just speculating on what I heard today. :redface:

It is certainly a tragic accident in which something went terribly wrong. By all accounts the pilot and his passenger were outstanding students, with bright futures both. Very sad to lose them.

My prayers are with the families and friends in this very difficult time.

Last edited:
Someone I talked to today suggested the gust lock was left in place? Anyone that is familiar with that plane care to comment?
I'd highly doubt that. The only place you'd put a gust lock on a Piper would be the ailerons or rudder. Can't put a gust lock on a stabilator. If you put it on the rudder(not sure why anyone would), you'd noticed it as soon as you tried to taxi. And while I have never seen anyone use an external gust lock on pier ailerons, you'd be able to fly it just fine if you did.

Cockpit gust locks would be very hard not to notice if left in place.

I'd highly doubt that. The only place you'd put a gust lock on a Piper would be the ailerons or rudder. Can't put a gust lock on a stabilator. If you put it on the rudder(not sure why anyone would), you'd noticed it as soon as you tried to taxi. And while I have never seen anyone use an external gust lock on pier ailerons, you'd be able to fly it just fine if you did.

Cockpit gust locks would be very hard not to notice if left in place.

But people have still done it.

No on the gust lock. The only way that would happen is if he brought his own with him. There was not one in the plane and I've been flying it for the past couple of years.

All eyewitness reports said it wasn't making full power.

No on the gust lock. The only way that would happen is if he brought his own with him. There was not one in the plane and I've been flying it for the past couple of years.

All eyewitness reports said it wasn't making full power.

Thanks for the post.

It was a steady wind out of the east, south east Sat night. Eyewitnesses did not indicate which runway he used for take off. They are long runways at Norfolk, easy to set the plane back down if the plane is acting up. Not sure why he flew over the hangars. Something was not right for sure.

Just plain sad.

Last edited:
Things are rarely as they appear in these accidents but one thing for sure is the NTSB folks will get to the bottom of it...(and something can maybe be learned)

Far more important right now are the loved ones involved dealing with heartbreak and tragedy

"What could I do wrong that would result in a crash like this, and what should I do to prevent it?" seems to be what runs through my mind when I hear of a crash of any kind, not just this one. I think the speculative posting is of that type, rather than to pick apart what actually may have happened in this instance.

Sad, with a certain amount of frustration that accidents continue to take those with so much promise.

Back