Neat Flying Video Idea

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
So this is kinda junk video but the concept is neat.

On your phone, download the GeoTracker app
Run that while filming a flight

On your computer download Garmin Virb editor
Export the GeoTracker data to the Virb Editor
Import your video

It gives you a bunch of different options
for gauges to display flight info on your video.

Pretty cool IMO

I'm not using the virb. I just used their software with my knock off cam

You gave me an idea. The overlay graphics are ok, but I wonder if I could take the geotracker output and script some ironman style hud graphics in blender. Use it for the rendering and compositing.... hmmm.

I wonder if I can skip the geotracker app and just import the files from my older gopro into the editing software. but then again, not sure I really need GARMIN splashed all over my videos, although to the layfolk it may add some credibility to my incredible videos. oops, I mean uncredible videos.

I wonder if I can skip the geotracker app and just import the files from my older gopro into the editing software. but then again, not sure I really need GARMIN splashed all over my videos, although to the layfolk it may add some credibility to my incredible videos. oops, I mean uncredible videos.
May I suggest doing what 6PC did with "Carl." It made 6PC's videos more, hmmm, more, hmmm, yea, maybe not.

You can take the Garmin logo off. I just got lazy. There are a ton of different designs with HUD overlays and different stuff you can choose from. The editing software is free to download you can dig through it it is called Garmin virb edit

Thanks, Bryan. So, you are creating one data file with the Android phone running GeoTracker. The video is a separate file from a different source, whether GoPro or anything else. Right, so far?
Then, edit it all in your misappropriated repurposed free Garmin Virb editing software?
Cool! Thanks.

Is is this Geo Tracker: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ilyabogdanovich.geotracker&hl=en
By Ilya Bogdanovich ? ? ? ?
It's pretty Russian - are they going to hack us?

Last edited:
I thought the GoPro required certain models of their camera and it was an internal file?
Can you use an external GPS tracker data source?

If you have a camera that has GPS in it it will do the same thing. I'm too cheap to buy a camera like that so I use the Geo Tracker app in my phone and Export the GPX file and then merge them in the Garmin video editor. And you can remove the Garmin logo

Also it makes me feel very good to see that the airspeed is in miles per hour. That way I don't feel like I'm going backwards

If you have a camera that has GPS in it it will do the same thing. I'm too cheap to buy a camera like that so I use the Geo Tracker app in my phone and Export the GPX file and then merge them in the Garmin video editor. And you can remove the Garmin logo
Can a Geo Metro be substituted for the Geo Tracker?

Can a Geo Metro be substituted for the Geo Tracker?

Dang you MauleSkinner! I was just about to report that I had downloaded the Geo Tracker.

geo-tracker-38.jpg

You beat me to the joke though.

Back