Near Miss with Drone

Too funny, but it was just found this video is a fake. It is CGI. You all can go back to your fear mongering.

Since y'all demand your "proof", the guy that made the video released bits of the CGI:

upload_2018-2-5_10-21-19.png

Meh the drone debate will wager on...obviously this guy was an idiot.

I fly a lot of FPV and can fly my 7” (7” refers to the arm length) endurance quad several miles no problem (people with a similar setup go 5+ miles frequently, but I haven’t pushed mine that far). But I don’t have any need to fly them incredibly high like that. Kind of defeats the purpose of fun FPV flying.

DJIs are limited to 400 feet AGL and they don’t fly like what you’ve seen in the video. This was likely a 5-6” racing quad (again that refers to the arm length not the total size of the quad).

Meh the drone debate will wager on...obviously this guy was an idiot.

I fly a lot of FPV and can fly my 7” (7” refers to the arm length) endurance quad several miles no problem (people with a similar setup go 5+ miles frequently, but I haven’t pushed mine that far). But I don’t have any need to fly them incredibly high like that. Kind of defeats the purpose of fun FPV flying.

DJIs are limited to 400 feet AGL and they don’t fly like what you’ve seen in the video. This was likely a 5-6” racing quad (again that refers to the arm length not the total size of the quad).
You can get an unlock code for a DJI. It allows one fly without the restrictions. Look at their web site. They also aren't the only large drone one can fly. Look at Parrot, Yuneec, Xiro, and others. I'm not counting the DIY plans one can get as well.

What is it about the video that says "small drone"?

You can get an unlock code for a DJI. It allows one fly without the restrictions. Look at their web site. They also aren't the only large drone one can fly. Look at Parrot, Yuneec, Xiro, and others. I'm not counting the DIY plans one can get as well.

What is it about the video that says "small drone"?

Yea that doesn't surprise me. Still though...a DJI, Parrot, Yuneec, etc are all consumer camera platforms and can't maneuver the way you see in that video...that's not what they are meant for...not saying they couldn't do maneuvers that are similar in nature, but they aren't aerobatic by any stretch.

Why does the size matter? Even my 5" racing drone would do some good damage to any airplane.

No doubt about it...what you see in the video is a typical FPV racing drone.

By the way...a typical 5-6" racing drone is about the size of a DJI Mavic. The Phantom is really only larger in height.

So this whole size debate is kinda silly IMO.

Last edited:
I would think the vast majority of drone flights are nowhere near where a plane would be. Yes, there will be drone strikes, and I'd think that number will increase over the next few years, but not to a huge number. But if you're the one in a billion plane, it's still not going to be a good day. I guess I rest a little easier knowing that even in the event that I was the pilot who hit a drone it's still probably not going to be catastrophic for me.

Then again, I'm an optimist.

I would think the vast majority of drone flights are nowhere near where a plane would be. Yes, there will be drone strikes, and I'd think that number will increase over the next few years, but not to a huge number. But if you're the one in a billion plane, it's still not going to be a good day. I guess I rest a little easier knowing that even in the event that I was the pilot who hit a drone it's still probably not going to be catastrophic for me.

Then again, I'm an optimist.

Yea these guys that are purposely flying at those heights in a busy area like this are idiots...unfortunately there is not a lot that you can do to stop/prevent them. But yea these people are in the minority.

Why do they call it a near miss? A near miss means you almost missed, but no, BAM, you hit it dead on.

Why do they call it a near miss? A near miss means you almost missed, but no, BAM, you hit it dead on.
That's funny. I hadn't thought about it, but yeah you're not going to hear too many people (outside of PoA) talking about far misses. Like baseball, it's either a hit or a miss.

Yea that doesn't surprise me. Still though...a DJI, Parrot, Yuneec, etc are all consumer camera platforms and can't maneuver the way you see in that video...that's not what they are meant for...not saying they couldn't do maneuvers that are similar in nature, but they aren't aerobatic by any stretch.

Why does the size matter? Even my 5" racing drone would do some good damage to any airplane.

No doubt about it...what you see in the video is a typical FPV racing drone.

By the way...a typical 5-6" racing drone is about the size of a DJI Mavic. The Phantom is really only larger in height.

So this whole size debate is kinda silly IMO.
I don't think we really disagree on anything. I was really just wondering what in the maneuvers said "small drone flying aerobatics" and not a "pivot and zoom" or "pan the camera and zoom". Some of those drones are meant for "pros" and can carry a decent DSLR and a lens, or even a decent movie camera. I doubt those would get into the hands of fools as they are rather costly. This one has 20 pound payload: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1242089-REG/freefly_950_00049_alta_8_professional_drone.html.

I don't think we really disagree on anything. I was really just wondering what in the maneuvers said "small drone flying aerobatics" and not a "pivot and zoom" or "pan the camera and zoom". Some of those drones are meant for "pros" and can carry a decent DSLR and a lens, or even a decent movie camera. I doubt those would get into the hands of fools as they are rather costly. This one has 20 pound payload: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1242089-REG/freefly_950_00049_alta_8_professional_drone.html.

Yea there are obviously some very large drones used for professional videography. Like you said, I don't think anyone is going to be dive bombing their 20k rig into an airplane haha. From the video that looks like a maneuver and not a camera movement. I actually have a YouTube video on my channel of me doing a very similar maneuver, flying FPV out in the desert (obviously not over a plane haha).

Back