Near Miss London

I have to wonder how close they actually were. I've seen similar pictures out of LA - and the planes were far apart. It's a perspective thing.

Ok............pet peeve!

A near miss is a hit!!!!

I can't tell how close they are but it is freaking looking. The problem with some of those pictures is they lack a reference to really tell how far a part they are.

Lack of reference points can be deceiving but the difference in this photo is there were purportedly folks on the ground who would have had reference points to compare. Still freaky

Ed: We can call it a near hit if ya want. LOL

There are numerous pix on www.airliners.net. Search for landing parallel or takeoff parallel. There are alot of pix.
One of them were posted here a few months ago. Similar pic which showed (if I recall correctly) a 747 and an airbus. The discussion at the time was perspective, focal length, and point of reference.
It is an optical illusion. Too bad it showed up as front page news!

Last edited:
Its very deceiving but I bet there was bells and whistle going off in the approach controler and the plane

Jaime P said:
Its very deceiving but I bet there was bells and whistle going off in the approach controler and the plane

Not according to this report:

= = = = = = =

Near Miss Over London
Barry Bland snapped a photograph of two airplanes apparently narrowly avoiding colliding in the sky over London. However, Civil Aviation Authorities are dismissing the photograph as an optical illusion, pointing out that none of their safety systems indicated that the two planes were close to each other.

= = = = = =

For more information, Google "near miss airplane london"

-Skip

(rounded to the nearest foot)
....................Length..... Wingspan
Airbus 300...... 177'...........147'
Boeing 777..... 242'...........200'

Someone with an interest in photogrammetry could determine the actual separation, I'm sure.

(rounded to the nearest foot)
....................Length..... Wingspan
Airbus 300...... 177'...........147'
Boeing 777..... 242'...........200'

Someone with an interest in photogrammetry could determine the actual separation, I'm sure.

Jaime P said:

That looks like the results of using zoom on a camera. It flattens the image and depth perception goes out the window.

We see that kind of picture quite routinely at BFI for 13L & 13R while preflighting our aircraft that are tied down just lateral to but almost underneath of 13L's short final glide slope and a little bit farther laterally from 13R's runway end.

Last edited:
Back