NE Ohio area

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Anyone in the NE Ohio area who can provide a bit of input on airports within, say, a 30-40 mile radius of KCAK? I've got a couple of questions that are best handled by PM.

Thx

I'm 100nm from there if I can help let me know.

I can help.

I am well within that radius, and have tooled around a bit in other people's airplanes when not flying myself...

I worked in NE OH recently for about 2 years and rented hangars at Lorain, Elyria and Medina. I'm sure the locals can provide better input but feel free to PM me if you feel like I can help.

But, remember that I'm just a narcissistic idiot!

Haha yeah sorry about that. It was supposed to be goofier and more self deprecating than that...

I'm based out of BKL and CGF. Ask away.

Edit: Oops, just read the 30-40nm requirement. I'm more than that (I know because KCAK *just* counts for the VFR Cross Country requirement). I've got some experience at Kent State, Akron Fulton, and Akron Canton, as well as Geauga and the other airports NE of Cleveland. The people south of me probably know the ins and outs of the other nearby airports a bit better than I.

Last edited:
KBJJ and 3G3 here, drop me a pm if you like! (that's Wooster and Wadsworth)

Last edited:
I just moved to Wooster (KBJJ), so I'm probably too much of an area newbie, but ask anything you like.

Howdy yellow, I work over at COW, anything exciting bring you here?

Work - not exciting enough to keep me awake on a slow Friday afternoon, though.

If only they'd let me snooze on the job here. :rolleyes:

Edit: flying work or the boring kind?

Last edited:
I fly out of Cleveland area send me a PM

I am planning a first time flight to OH to see a friend who lives in Akron. Any suggestions on CAK vs AKR? I would get picked up so minimal services needed, gas mainly...any overly positive or negative experiences?

Thanks,
Jeff

Been to CAK several times, but not a local.

Depending on which side of town your friend lives, especially if he/she lives on the west side, Medina (1g5) is pretty close and fuel is a buck cheaper than AKR or CAK. It's a nice little field with a new terminal building. The only downside is that both runways have some slope to them.

AKR and CAK both seemed to be geared more towards kerosene burners when I was up there.

It looks like Wadsworth's (3g3) fuel prices are about the same as Medina's. Can't vouch for that airfield though, only landed there a few times when I worked in the area and don't remember much about it. I'm confident it's got what you need though.

Last edited:
Depending on which side of town your friend lives, especially if he/she lives on the west side, Medina (1g5) is pretty close and fuel is a buck cheaper than AKR or CAK. It's a nice little field with a new terminal building. The only downside is that both runways have some slope to them.

AKR and CAK both seemed to be geared more towards kerosene burners when I was up there.

It looks like Wadsworth's (3g3) fuel prices are about the same as Medina's. Can't vouch for that airfield though, only landed there a few times when I worked in the area and don't remember much about it. I'm confident it's got what you need though.

I live a few miles from 1g5. It is a nice airport with a shiny new FBO.

I am based at CAK. We are in the Tee hangars and use Ultimate Air. Nice FBO. I am not sure what they charge for transients. CAK is an easy class C and not all that busy. Probably best to call Ultimate and also check the prices over at AKR. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Jim

I live a few miles from 1g5. It is a nice airport with a shiny new FBO.

Yeah, I rented a hangar there for a couple of years when I was working in the area. Nice field, I enjoyed it. The mechanic, not so much...he broke more stuff on my plane than he fixed.

The avionics shop was good though.

Another vote for Ultimate Air. Friendly staff, reasonable fuel, courtesy car, and no ramp fees with fuel purchase.

Another vote for Ultimate. I had a plane based there for about eight years. I kept it in the T-Hangers. At the time the cheapest fuel was at Wadsworth.

All great suggestions, CAK sounds like a good stop and pretty close to where I'm headed.
Thanks!

Back