NC RDU/FAY rest stop?

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
Flying down to FL (Amelia Island) next week. Easy non-stop for me, but my pax will likely want to stretch legs. Any suggestions on a good airport (3000ft+rwy) midway betw. Phila and Jacksonville, preferably with a restaurant on premises or in close proximity? I've been searching AirNav but without luck so far. Time to pull out the FlightGuide and do it the old fashioned way....

I'm sure there will be a bunch of suggestions, but if you have never tried the free search features of adventurepilot.com you should. It will search a radius around an airport or even along a route for restaurants, activities, museums etc.

The area search you can do as a guest, the route search requires a free account.

Several airports in NC have good BBQ on the field, I've been told :yesnod::thumbsup::cheers:

Last edited:
Hell Stop in Fayetteville and come let me buy you lunch or supper...I'll even get you a 70 cent a gal discount on fuel....shhhhhhhh!!!!!! I'll take you to the BBQ hut...best fried chicken and BBQ in town...

Here's a great website for finding a place to eat. Put in an airport along your route, set a distance, and see the results.

As an example, I hit 200 nm from Grand Strand (KCRE) and found four airports with restaurants on the airport grounds. Pretty cool tool.

http://www.fly2lunch.com/

Good luck.

CRE is a great place to stop...Ramp 66 is the best...borrow the car and hit the Carolina Roadhouse...44th Avenue North & Kings Highway....or there abouts...ask for the waitress with the strange giggle...you'll enjoy yourself....

CRE is a great place to stop...Ramp 66 is the best...borrow the car and hit the Carolina Roadhouse...44th Avenue North & Kings Highway....or there abouts...ask for the waitress with the strange giggle...you'll enjoy yourself....

Which is actually South of the CRE airport in Myrtle Beach. There are a thousand or so other restaurants in the area as well.:D

If you can make to JAX non-stop and if you are willing to pack your own food... I think it would be a great idea to stop by First Flight Airport in Kill Devil Hills/Kitty Hawk, NC. It would be about 40nm longer than a direct flight. The route would keep you East of the DC ADIZ (unfortunately overwater in some places).

FFA has limited services. No fuel. No restaurant. But there is a small FBO building with flight planning computer and restrooms.

5 minute walk to the Wright Bros monument. 5 minute walk to site of the 1st flight.

As a pilot, I think it is something we should all do at least once.

Attachments

• DSC04639.JPG
    DSC04639.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
Might try KGWW. Go to Wilbur's BBQ, great pulled pork, slaw and hush puppies. Close to Seymour Johnson AFB, too...

Trapper John

Everyone has given great suggestions, but ill throw the norfolk/chesapeake area in as a proposal. There's nothing on field, but as long as its a weekend ill be happy to drive to dinner.

GWW is looking like the best candidate. I'll have the kids with me, so don't want to venture far from the airport. We may just brown bag it.

Back