"NC" numbers

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
As I read the FAR 45.22

(b) A small U.S.-registered aircraft built at least 30 years ago or a U.S.-registered aircraft for which an experimental certificate has been issued under §21.191(d) or 21.191(g) for operation as an exhibition aircraft or as an amateur-built aircraft and which has the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago may be operated without displaying marks in accordance with §§45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33 if:

(1) It displays in accordance with §45.21(c) marks at least 2 inches high on each side of the fuselage or vertical tail surface consisting of the Roman capital letter “N” followed by:

(i) The U.S. registration number of the aircraft; or

(ii) The symbol appropriate to the airworthiness certificate of the aircraft (“C”, standard; “R”, restricted; “L”, limited; or “X”, experimental) followed by the U.S. registration number of the aircraft; and

(2) It displays no other mark that begins with the letter “N” anywhere on the aircraft, unless it is the same mark that is displayed under paragraph (b)(1) of this section.

I can display the numers on my Fairchild as "NC19143" and use that as the number when talking to ATC, I can display 2 inch (or larger) numbers on the tail. or can I leave them off and run with the large numbers on top of the right wing and under the left?

what's legal IAW 45.22

Tom,

My T28 has NX91AW painted on it but we're in the FAA Database and I report to ATC as North American 91AW.

Joe

As I read the FAR 45.22

(b) A small U.S.-registered aircraft built at least 30 years ago or a U.S.-registered aircraft for which an experimental certificate has been issued under §21.191(d) or 21.191(g) for operation as an exhibition aircraft or as an amateur-built aircraft and which has the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago may be operated without displaying marks in accordance with §§45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33 if:

(1) It displays in accordance with §45.21(c) marks at least 2 inches high on each side of the fuselage or vertical tail surface consisting of the Roman capital letter “N” followed by:

(i) The U.S. registration number of the aircraft; or

(ii) The symbol appropriate to the airworthiness certificate of the aircraft (“C”, standard; “R”, restricted; “L”, limited; or “X”, experimental) followed by the U.S. registration number of the aircraft; and

(2) It displays no other mark that begins with the letter “N” anywhere on the aircraft, unless it is the same mark that is displayed under paragraph (b)(1) of this section.

I can display the numers on my Fairchild as "NC19143" and use that as the number when talking to ATC, I can display 2 inch (or larger) numbers on the tail. or can I leave them off and run with the large numbers on top of the right wing and under the left?

what's legal IAW 45.22

Tom,

The way I read it, you can do the large numbers on the wing, but you still need the small ones somewhere on the fuselage or tail. Note the "and" that I bolded above.

Not a FAR expert, but this one seems fairly clear to me. Well, that is, it's about as clear as the rest of 'em. :rolleyes:

I read it the same way as Kent. Also, AIM 4-2-4a3 says that on the radio, you're simply "Fairchild 19143" (or, if the controller shortens it, "Fairchild 143"), not "November Charlie 19143" or even "November 19143." The only time you use the N/NC prefix is outside the USA.

That's how I read it too, but I asked because I see several old Aircraft with out the "2" inch numbers just the 32 inch on the wings.

But I don't think I want to be "exhibition only" and cope with all the restrictions that goes with it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Tail numbers.jpg
    Tail numbers.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 16
That is why they make the rules so people can breakem....:hairraise:

Most of the Vintage folks are letter of the law perfect, because they take their aircraft to shows and will get busted by their fellow club members.

FAR 45.22 does allow no numbers on the tail, but you must be in the exhibition category, but some fly anywhere they want, not just to shows.

The question is, how many classic aircraft does it require to make a show?

Tom, she gets purttier everytime I look.

BTW: I've figured out how you can avoid the capital gains when you sell her.

Yes the project is for sale, That is what I do "Restore old aircraft" as a hobby. this is the 17th one I have done.

I will keep it long enough to play with it and get all the bugs worked out.

Know a Dr that needs a toy?

Yes the project is for sale, That is what I do "Restore old aircraft" as a hobby. this is the 17th one I have done.

I will keep it long enough to play with it and get all the bugs worked out.

Know a Dr that needs a toy?

I don't know how you can ever find the courage to part with something like that.

I guess you get a lot out of the journey, and you always keep a good record of your memories.

Last edited:
The N-number must be legible and be written in capital Roman style letters without any ornamentation. You may use shading or a border only if it makes the number more legible.

(1) Make sure the color contrasts sufficiently with the color of the fuselage to make it easy to read. Be especially careful when the background is highly decorated, as in checkering. Consider applying the requirements of § 23.811(c)(7)(ii) or § 25.811(f)(2), Emergency exit marking, as a test of whether the color of the N-number contrasts sufficiently with the background.

(2) Check the reflectance of external markings. Using electro-optical instruments or photometer card sets is an acceptable means of verifying reflectance but is not required to establish reflectance. The FAA considers a 12-inch number legible if you can read it from 500 feet away, in a horizontal line, perpendicular to the side of the aircraft during daylight hours, without using an optical aid such as binoculars.

Antique aircraft
Minimum height: 2-inches
1) On both sides of the fuselage between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer, or
(2) On the vertical tail surface, either over or under the horizontal stabilizer.

Position: Horizontal

You may display the category symbol between the nationality designation and the registration number. You may not display any other mark beginning with the nationality designation elsewhere on the aircraft.

Gliders are the only aircraft I know that allows the N-number to be either horizontal or vertical. All fixed wing N-numbes should be horizontal.

The aircraft nationality and registration marks are in accordance with part 45 and, as applicable, with §§ 45.21, 45.23, 45.27, and 45.29.

Reference: AC 45.2C and FAA Order 8120.2

Take a look underneath the horizontal stab before you assume they aren't there. A lot of warbirds (and pseudo-warbirds) around here seem to hide them down there.

Stache;235470[FONT=Times New Roman said:
Gliders are the only aircraft I know that allows the N-number to be either horizontal or vertical. All fixed wing N-numbes should be horizontal.[/FONT]

Where does the regulations say that ?

Attachments

• Tail numbers.jpg
    Tail numbers.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 11
  • Adcox Student Prince.jpg
    Adcox Student Prince.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 12
  • a48729p1895036941orig.jpg
    a48729p1895036941orig.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 10
  • P1010072.JPG
    P1010072.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 12
Reads like you good to go vertical:

45.25(b)(1) If displayed on the vertical tail surfaces, horizontally on both surfaces, horizontally on both surfaces of a single vertical tail or on the outer surfaces of a multivertical tail. However, on aircraft on which marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed in accordance with §45.29(b)(1), the marks may be displayed vertically on the vertical tail surfaces.

Back