NC and Southern VA pilots

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
My wife and I would like to plan a four or five-day spring break vacation. We don't want to have to fly more than a couple of hours, but we want to get where it is warm. This will be mid-April in a C182. Suggestions?

wangmyers said:
My wife and I would like to plan a four or five-day spring break vacation. We don't want to have to fly more than a couple of hours, but we want to get where it is warm. This will be mid-April in a C182. Suggestions?

This is the same problem my wife and I face from Ohio. Do we head for Florida or take a chance on warm weather in the Carolinas. We're talking 2-3 hrs or 5-6 hours. Finding warm weather is the real objective!

Asheville, NC - Biltmore Estate, gardens, wine tasting, fine food, tour.

Ocracoke, NC - Airport 500' off of the beach, nice B and B's, nice and quiet.

Hot Springs, VA - Homestead Resort, golf, hiking, fine food.

...or make it the first week of April and join us @ Sun-N-Fun in Lakeland, FL.

Greg
182RG

ggroves said:
Asheville, NC - Biltmore Estate, gardens, wine tasting, fine food, tour.

Hot Springs, VA - Homestead Resort, golf, hiking, fine food.

...or make it the first week of April and join us @ Sun-N-Fun in Lakeland, FL.

Asheville and Hot Springs in April can be a crap shoot, could be wonderful and warm, could be 30's and snow. I do a big motorcycle first weekend in May each year in Little Switzerland, NC, and its run the gammit. We've had sunny and 70's, we've had snow and 30's.

Manteo is a nice trip that time of year. Weather will be like Ocracoke.

I've stayed at a really nice B&B in Manteo....

ggroves said:
Greg
182RG
Y'all could rent NC Pilot's Ocracoke house! It's a beauty, and right at the sound side of the island!

Ben,

Myrtle Beach is warm enough to walk on the beach if not swim in the ocean...the hotels have covered or indoor pools...rates will be cheaper if not the cheapest. Jacksonville or St Augustine is not that much farther.

Len

Yep, and Grand Strand is close to the beach at North Myrtle, if you want to go there!

Is there a nice beach in Southern Virginia?

wangmyers said:
Is there a nice beach in Southern Virginia?

To get a really nice beach, you'll want to look at NC. Sandbridge, on the southern border of VA (south of VA Beach) used to be pretty nice, but got pretty eroded during a couple of hurricanes. You can go down to the National Park/Wildlife area on Sandbridge and I think the beach is still pretty good (at least it was 2 years ago). But unless you rent a house, there's not much in the way of accomodations. Nearest airport is KCPK.

There's always Ocean Isle Beach... 60J that's south of Wilmington. Warm water, long flat beaches. The airport is across the road from the causeway. No real services. Most people fuel at Brunswick County Airport (KSUT). I heard that rental car places would deliver to there. I've landed at both 60J & KSUT.

I have been to N Myrtle Beach a couple of times. Great airport and easy drive to the hotels and the beach. I always worry about the weather in April. After spending the last few months in NE Ohio I'm ready for some sun.

Paul Allen said:
I have been to N Myrtle Beach a couple of times. Great airport and easy drive to the hotels and the beach. I always worry about the weather in April. After spending the last few months in NE Ohio I'm ready for some sun.
AND the southeastern fly-in is happening there at the end of April!!

(just a quick plug!)

Back