Navy ready room chair...I want one

On the topic of aviation related chairs in the home/man cave, when I worked at my sales job, I sold some first class seats out of older aircraft. One guy who flew jets in South Korea bought one for his place in the states after a bit of negotiating and the shipping cost was going to be absolutely massive.

Shipping told me it was because the seats were still considered in the aircraft parts category of shipping and the volume of them made them quite expensive. Something to think about maybe?

His buddy ended up coming down and picking them up in his truck. He didn't have room for the two cases of beer he was carrying though ;)

Also sold a bunch of seats to a guy who started up an aviation themed barber shop in Illinois. And some old galley carts to a lady who wanted an aviation themed bar on wheels for her house.

I have one from the John F. Kennedy (CV-67). It is in perfect condition. Send me an email or phone# and I will text pictures.

No chair for you !!! You gotta earn it !

I am actively searching for one of these Ready Room Chairs. If anyone has a lead, please let me know.

Mark

Mark W. Allen
1555 N. Western Ave
Lake Forest, IL 60045
E: markflynavy@gmail.com
C: 610-42-4600

How about some home theater seating? This looks pretty comfy:
octanerecliner2.jpg

If this doesn't work for you how about an automotive type office chair:

soloracerdotcom_2269_48828892

I've always wondered, why do they use such a beefy chair on a ship? It looks as strong as the chairs in a Minuteman missile launch facility, and those are made for surviving a nuclear attack

Well the Titan launch room just had regular government issue office chairs at the desks. Unlikely no matter what the chair was, your ass would be gone in a strike. They had 90 seconds in the latter stages of the cold war to get the missle off after receiving the order so that it would get off before the incomings.

I sus[ect most of these boats are built by the lowest bidder. I bet a better chair can be had for less money.

I told my wife I was buying a Martin-Baker H7 ejection seat for 9 Grand.
She told me the seat and I will love living in the tool shed.
sigh..................
I thought $9,000.00 was quite reasonable for a complete (sans explosives) seat.

I told my wife I was buying a Martin-Baker H7 ejection seat for 9 Grand.
She told me the seat and I will love living in the tool shed.
sigh..................
I thought $9,000.00 was quite reasonable for a complete (sans explosives) seat.
Martin-Baker H7 for the Cub? :D

I didn't get a ready room or ejection seat, but my wife rolled her eyes when I had the fire pole installed. One of my neighbors however has promised that she'd come over and dance on my pole.

The pole is just adjacent to the glass beehive on the back stairs.

The pole is just adjacent to the glass beehive on the back stairs.

Mmm... drunken people attempting pole slides and falling through glass...

I do hope you have video cameras installed so we can all get a hearty laugh out of that when you post it online. :) :) :)

The beehive has 1/4" laminated glass on it (think car windshield) so it's pretty immune to the drunks in my house. It's also at the top of the pole which makes it less susceptible to people crashing into it (be them attempting to slide down the pole or dance on it). It's advised that the pole dancers start at the bottom of the pole rather than on the second floor.

I've had my ready room chair for around 18 years now.

20180930125600-519810d5.jpg

It is promised to the Naval Aviation museum in Pensacola FL when I'm gone. They have a wing about Cabot but no chairs from her for the display (all of their chairs are new).

carrier-mock-up.jpg

My chair came off of USS Cabot (CVL-28) when she was salvaged back in 2000.

USS-Cabot-2000.jpg

As far as owning a carrier. Cabot was the only US warship in history to be privately owned.

Commissioned in 1943. Presidential Unit Citation with 9 battle stars during WWII. She was referbished and re-commissioned in the 50s. She served the Navy in the Mediterranean until the 60s when she was leased, then sold to Spain, and removed from the registry of US Naval warships.

Spain used her up until 1989, launching Harriers and helicopters.

main-qimg-0ea34253095485162a39519c6333d5da-c

In 1989 the Spanish government sailed her to New Orleans and "gifted" Cabot to the Cabot Association (a group of retired crew members) in a formal ceremony.

26_smcolorwaterspray.jpg

The association "parked" her at a warf in New Orleans where she stayed, still in her WWII configuration, until she broke her moorings in 1998 and drifted into the Mississippi river shipping lanes. The coast guard had to lasso her and bring her back to her berth but ordered the association to remove her from the Mississippi.

b32cd7d1f63af57458ae872299db9f6e.jpg

With no where for her to go and no city willing to take her as a museum ship (the last straight deck WWII aircraft carrier in the world) she was sold for scrap to pay off the debts that had accumulated over the proceeding decade.

Her sale price was only $185,000 for scrap.

So..... Yes, anyone could have owned an aircraft carrier.

But as my wife said when I showed interest in acquiring her, "where are you going to park a 15,000 ton warship"?

We all need a well grounded wife to give us a sence of balance.

2202001.jpg

My interest in Cabot and the chair came when I was contacted by the daughter of the XO of vf31 to do a memorial web site for her father. This morphed into vf31.com which is about the entire air group. Being a long time member of the POA site but not a participant I can't post links so to view vf31.com you will need to copy/paste the domain name into a browser.

Enjoy your visit to the memorial to these great men.

atlanticCity_all_VF-31.jpg

Last edited:
After touring the USS MIdway yesterday I thought how cool it would be to have a couple of these.

I'm sure their next to impossible to find but anyone know how I can snag one or more? I'm going to call Turnbull LLC today as my research last night indicates they may have manufactured some for other aircraft.

Any ideas?
I am selling two of them if you are still interested! They are listed on this sight My cell is 508 395-0302...Would love to sell them to you. DO

A far better deal than a $10,000 hammer too. :rolleyes:

You do know it isn’t the hammer that costs so much, right? It’s proving that it’s a hammer as defined by the government that costs all the money.

You do know it isn’t the hammer that costs so much, right? It’s proving that it’s a hammer as defined by the government that costs all the money.
How much would it cost to prove that the government is a government?

Back