Navy ready room chair...I want one

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
After touring the USS MIdway yesterday I thought how cool it would be to have a couple of these.

I'm sure their next to impossible to find but anyone know how I can snag one or more? I'm going to call Turnbull LLC today as my research last night indicates they may have manufactured some for other aircraft.

Any ideas?

A couple of aircraft carriers? Yeah they would be cool to own, but a bit pricey to operate and you can't just pop in to any marina you want.

in NJROTC we had one in one of our classrooms. no one could sit in it though. Our commander would go crazy. I copped a squat a few times for a second or two.

A couple of aircraft carriers? Yeah they would be cool to own, but a bit pricey to operate and you can't just pop in to any marina you want.

Who's gonna stop him?

(well maybe the low water line).

Contacted Company who makes these for military. Nice guy said to email him and he would see what he could do to help me. They normally don't sell to civilians.

Contacted Company who makes these for military. Nice guy said to email him and he would see what he could do to help me. They normally don't sell to civilians.

That's probably because not too many civilians will pay $100,000 for a chair, no matter how cool it is.

You might try googling "Navy Ready Room Chair for sale" and you will come up with a few links for sites that do sell them.

You might try googling "Navy Ready Room Chair for sale" and you will come up with a few links for sites that do sell them.

Exactly what I did last night while kiddos in pool. Most have been on ebay or gov bid sites and are long gone. There wasn't a single link I could find where a person could buy one outright. I even looked at craigslist for all of California with no luck at all. I should have let my 11 and 9 year old do the search.

I've left message with company that may have a few on Coronado island across street from where we are staying.

I'm not against writing a check (if they will hold for a few days) for a carrier so I could get more then a couple of them!:yes:

Exactly what I did last night while kiddos in pool. Most have been on ebay or gov bid sites and are long gone. There wasn't a single link I could find where a person could buy one outright. I even looked at craigslist for all of California with no luck at all. I should have let my 11 and 9 year old do the search.

I've left message with company that may have a few on Coronado island across street from where we are staying.

I'm not against writing a check (if they will hold for a few days) for a carrier so I could get more then a couple of them!:yes:

Yeah I saw the dead Ebay links but didn't check to see if the GSA suppliers would sell them outright.

I bet I spent an hour at least looking over govt sites and everything else trying to find on. That look like what I want.

What site is that as I can't find info to call?

www.jdasales.com

If you can get the vendor to sell you one new, that would be my recommended route. They are comfy, but anything you get used from govt surplus is probably going to be pretty beat up. Mine on the ship is quite worn out (reclining locks are shot from years of use).

Heard back from jdasales, a low $4880 each. Gonna check with manufacturer about cost of these things. I'm not sure what the condition of the $4880 is but gonna ask that next!
Manufacturing things to mil spec means you can charge the govt more.

$4880 should be a brand new off the shelf chair.

There was one on Ebay that didn't sell with a starting bid of $1100. Looked like a nice one. Look up Ready Room Chair and hit completed listings. He has an Ebay store so it shouldn't be hard to get ahold of him. Don

I probably wouldn't spend my money on this. It isn't going to be 10k but it will be more than it is worth. I guess it would be cool from an aviation memorabilia standpoint, but they aren't that comfortable if you are looking for functional chairs.

I probably wouldn't spend my money on this. It isn't going to be 10k but it will be more than it is worth. I guess it would be cool from an aviation memorabilia standpoint, but they aren't that comfortable if you are looking for functional chairs.

This.

If you were someone like Kermit Weeks and wanted to blow a bunch if cash on an aviation themed home movie theater, they would be nice.

Otherwise, they are a lot like that MotoArt stuff: radial engine coffee tables and such. Cool conversation pieces but way overpriced for what you get.

New ones are going to be overpriced. Anything that DRMO releases to the public is going to be junk most likely. To put it in perspective, when ENTERPRISE was de-activated, every big deck (my ship included) raided them for anything (Ready Room chairs included) that was in serviceable condition to replace our own broken stuff. What was left over went to DRMO.

This sounds like a biz opportunity. Is the design old enough or owned by US making the plans drawings available to the public?

I'm pretty sure you could wing a design close enough just by looking at pictures.

Along these lines.....a pal wife took one of his old eastern airlines captains uniforms to an upholstery shop and they covered a small chair with it. It was a stunner! looked great.

I have one but can't seem to post a picture.send m

This thread is killing me not having any pictures. How do you guys have a two page conversation on the internet about a thing without posting a pic?

main.php

readyroomchair2.jpg

This thread is killing me not having any pictures. How do you guys have a two page conversation on the internet about a thing without posting a pic?

main.php

readyroomchair2.jpg
Perhaps because those having the conversation know what they are talking about?

I've always wondered, why do they use such a beefy chair on a ship? It looks as strong as the chairs in a Minuteman missile launch facility, and those are made for surviving a nuclear attack!

[image]http://www.thearmchairexplorer.com/south-dakota/sd-images/nat-parks/launch-control-center01.jpg[/image]

Edit, my attempt to include an image while posting from tapatalk failed.

No worries, we can still highlight the link and rt-click "open ..." (I did "in new window)

I've always wondered, why do they use such a beefy chair on a ship? It looks as strong as the chairs in a Minuteman missile launch facility, and those are made for surviving a nuclear attack!

[image]http://www.thearmchairexplorer.com/south-dakota/sd-images/nat-parks/launch-control-center01.jpg[/image]

There are various tag formats out there. This forum uses the tag IMG for an image. So the correct link for your image should be:

[noparse]
launch-control-center01.jpg
[/noparse]

If you type that exactly it will be rendered as this:

launch-control-center01.jpg

My guess is you used the image button in Tapatalk and it screwed it up...but I'm guessing.

No, but I do web development. Posting a picture that big on a page and calling it "better" would get me fired.

Is there a way to re-size the image? I'm not aware of any but would love to know...

image.jpg I've got an EC-135 Rivet Joint chair in the "aviation room."

Last edited:
After touring the USS MIdway yesterday I thought how cool it would be to have a couple of these.

I'm sure their next to impossible to find but anyone know how I can snag one or more? I'm going to call Turnbull LLC today as my research last night indicates they may have manufactured some for other aircraft.

Any ideas?

They'll come available on a pallet of salvage at auction during decommissioning and scrapping, most likely by BAE. I think there's at least one being scrapped out now. I'm sure if you Google for it you'll find some for sale.

If you want new, here's where the Navy buys them:
http://jdaships.com/pages/sfc

Back