Navy Pilots Disciplined

I just watched that video on You tube, amazing 20 seconds to totally mess up a career.

So it was a stunt. I recall a lot of talk about how it was a training exercise. Knuckleheads!!

So it was a stunt. I recall a lot of talk about how it was a training exercise. Knuckleheads!!

I'm sure it was a training flight. And anything done on a training flight must be part of the training, right?

Honestly, don't break the bird and it never becomes an issue.

I'm sure it was a training flight. And anything done on a training flight must be part of the training, right?

Honestly, don't break the bird and it never becomes an issue.
They did not break the birds in this case and it became a big issue. I think the best advice is do not do anything you would not want to see on Youtube.

They did not break the birds in this case and it became a big issue. I think the best advice is do not do anything you would not want to see on Youtube.
Sure sounds like they broke the birds to me.
There were no injuries, but damage to both helicopters totaled $505,751 in the incident captured in a video filmed by a group of hikers and posted on YouTube.

Like the commander of the 27th TFW once told us all, "You gotta be smarter'n a box o'rocks."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/23/AR2010122303548.html

The San Diego Union-Tribune reports that two Navy instructor pilots from San Diego were permanently stripped of flying status and two student pilots will have to repeat training because of the Sept. 13 incident.
That's interesting because the news blurb I saw today from Av Web quoting the LA Times stated that no 'punitive' action was being taken - I'd say that permanently stripping them from flying status is pretty punitive.

That's interesting because the news blurb I saw today from Av Web quoting the LA Times stated that no 'punitive' action was being taken - I'd say that permanently stripping them from flying status is pretty punitive.
Punitive as in going to jail is what I think they meant in this case. This is an administrative punishment. But it is sever nonetheless. Now these guys will leave the military with the millions of dollars of training they received and enter the professional world of aviation where they will own the big buck, well as long as they do not video and TSA agents ;)

If I almost destroyed a helicopter and killed myself through my own stupidity, I'm not sure I would want to continue flying. They are lucky that they do not have to pay for the damage.

Now these guys will leave the military with the millions of dollars of training they received and enter the professional world of aviation
Airlines don't hire pilots who've been stripped of their military wings for flight discipline violations.

Back