Navy ejection story

It may be interesting that the pilots overriding concern seemed to be "What did I do wrong?" but I recently lost an alternator in a C-172 and for two days I wondered how I could have recognized the failure earlier, what could I have done better, and did I do something to cause a premature failure. I think it's part of our mentality as pilots that, if we do everything "right," bad stuff doesn't happen.

igottafly said:
Let'sgoflying! said:
Wow what a story!
Anyone know what "down MAF's" are?

http://safetycenter.navy.mil/media/approach/issues/marapr05/AverageIQ.htm[
/QUOTE]

Maintenance Action Form
...and a "down MAF" would be a MAF with a grounding discrepancy. When you find something wrong with the jet, you write it up on a MAF, which is a multipart form. One copy goes in the little book that stays with the jet so the crew that signs for the jet knows its status and history. One part stays in maintenance control so they know what's going on, and the original goes to the cognizant shop. When it's fixed, the original goes back to MC, which updates the aircraft book, files the original, and pulls their copy off the board of incomplete maintenance actions. Since discrepancies may be flyable as they are ("up" MAF) or may ground the aircraft ("down" MAF), aircraft may be flying with open discrepancies in the book, but you don't fly a jet with a "down" MAF.

As you can tell from this article, MAF's are used throughout the Navy for not just aircraft, but any equipment, including parts of the carrier itself. No way the 4-wire should have been in battery with down MAF's outstanding.

Ron Levy said:
igottafly said:
As you can tell from this article,

Ron,

Would you mind translating a few of the other lines from the article such as

everyone in the pattern to delta easy

the pattern to charlie

spin 90

Thanks,

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Ron Levy said:
"everyone in the pattern to delta easy" - Signal "Delta" means enter the circular holding pattern overhead the ship, usually starting at 1500 and every 1000 feet above that up to 5500 for training ops. "Delta easy" means enter the holding pattern at best endurance power setting.

"the pattern to charlie" - Signal "Charlie" means commence the recovery operation, i.e., start landing aircraft. The aircraft in the bottom of the Delta pattern head out 7 nm behind the ship, descend to 1200, and turn back in enter the break at 800. Aircraft above them drop down 1000 feet and wait their turn.

"spin 90" - A "spin" is primarily a carrier qualification/training move. "Spin" means to discontinue the approach, climb to 1200 feet, and go back around behind the ship while staying within 3 nm of the ship to reenter the overhead break. As they pass 90 degrees to go to being back on the upwind heading behind the ship, lead calls "spin 90" to let the Air Boss know they're about to come up initial again. This is particularly important if anyone's in Delta at 1500 feet or if anyone's been Charlied out of the Delta pattern because there is a potential conflict.

Back