Navdata

Radar Contact

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
I'm sure this will be one of many questions I post here with new aircraft ownership and all (set to close this week).

Currently I have a 530/430 stack that are not WAAS (will update them in the next year) and a GMX200.

I emailed Garmin and they said I can't do the OnePack plan because the GNS's aren't WAAS so I gotta go wtih Jepp.

Before I order at Jepp, I want to verify I grabbed the right thing and this is what others do.

I just picked the yearly subscription for the 430/530 each and for the gmx200. It says 220 for gmx and 720 for the gns's. Plus 60 for the card reader.

This sound about right?

Yes, the GMX subscription is entirely independent of the GNSs. Do you have ChartView on the GNX or are you just getting the navdata?
The card reader is only needed for the bogus proprietary card in the 530/430. The GMX200 uses a standard SD card with a Windows NT file system (as indeed the device runs NT4.0).

I think I have a very good success story with the ADS-B requirements.
My brother and I share a 2000 Piper Saratoga. Last year, the plane starting having trouble with CDI errors.
We have a Garmin 530/430 pair. I spent time at Oshkosh in July comparing options.
We finally settled on an upgrade option that took the original 530/430 and turned them into 530W and 430W with ADS-B.
That gave us: 1) repaired CDI, 2) WAAS approaches, 3) ADS-B mandate, 4) ADS-B traffic, 5) ADS-B weather, and 6) Terrain/obstacle alerts.
It was actually an almost painless upgrade and turns out well worth the effort.

And... very recently, it even passed the ADS-B test and we got the $500 from the FAA!

Does anybody else find Jeppesen just a little harder to work with every year?
I regularly update databases on 3 different airplanes (every two weeks whether you need to or not?).
The Collins stuff goes pretty well very time, but the Jeppesen guys got problems and they don't seem to know it.
For the third month, a chart download from Jepp was downloading at 10KB/sec for a 189MB file!
It would have taken 4 hours to finish.
I called them up each time and they talk you thru doing all of the voodoo things tech help always does.
And magically, it goes faster.
Well, this time, I was more careful and found it was the "clear the JDM cache" that fixed the slow problem.
The lady on the phone was not surprised this fixed it but I asked "why don't you fix your software?"
She was sure it was not a Jepp software problem.
Even though it is Jepp software creating a Jepp cache, who's contents slowed down that software while a manual clear fixed the problem.
I think Jepp is using an old working principal from IBM in the 70's. It was:
"Each problem is documented and announced as a new feature."

Jepp is pretty funny. I updated my GX55 database a few weeks ago. It programmed the card, then simply said "verification failed". Doesn't matter how many times I did it.
Thankfully the card still works perfect in the GPS.

Back