Naval Aviation - my, how things have changed

Yeah, it's changed.

First, all those fine sailors and marines in the vids are just kids! When the heck did THAT happen? :eek:

Second, some of those sailors are, uh, wellllll, GIRLS!!!! :hairraise:

Third, thru the marvels of modern electronics, handhelp video cameras, wireless internet access, MTV generation, etc ... we now have MTV at Sea!

Our entertainment was pretty much limited to reading letters from home about events that happened 3, 4 or even 6 weeks prior, and not being able to do a darn thing about them...

Letters from home ...

Dear John...

"The washer broke and flooded the house. What should I do?"

"The car broke down again and the mechanic wants $600 to fix it. Please increase your allotment to the checking account." (which means that $5.00 a week for geedunks is now gone)

"Me and a bunch of the other girls checked out the club last week..."

"I've moved so don't try to find me. All your stuff was on the front lawn the last time I looked"

I'm a plank owner in VAW 116. they are still at it. bt with better equipment.

gkainz said:
Yeah, it's changed.

First, all those fine sailors and marines in the vids are just kids! When the heck did THAT happen? :eek:

Second, some of those sailors are, uh, wellllll, GIRLS!!!! :hairraise:

Third, thru the marvels of modern electronics, handhelp video cameras, wireless internet access, MTV generation, etc ... we now have MTV at Sea!

Our entertainment was pretty much limited to reading letters from home about events that happened 3, 4 or even 6 weeks prior, and not being able to do a darn thing about them...

Letters from home ...

Dear John...

"The washer broke and flooded the house. What should I do?"

"The car broke down again and the mechanic wants $600 to fix it. Please increase your allotment to the checking account." (which means that $5.00 a week for geedunks is now gone)

"Me and a bunch of the other girls checked out the club last week..."

"I've moved so don't try to find me. All your stuff was on the front lawn the last time I looked"

My wife numbered my letters so I could read them in the proper sequence.

Once I got numbers 8,9,11

#11 was from my 8 year old daughter, it said, "Don't worry. Momma killed the RAT"

number 10 didn't arrive untill we hit port 60 days later.

gkainz said:

That is a gross under-exageration ;)

What about all those quaint rituals on board ship? Like converting the slimy pollywogs to crusty shellbacks?:D:D

NC19143 said:
I'm a plank owner in VAW 116. they are still at it. bt with better equipment.
I didn't know that! Cool! Was that with the E-2A? When was that? You didn't happen to know Vince Bletch, Tony Hidalgo, Doc Swagart, or TC Smith?

Yeah, the equipment has sure improved since I last flew. The B to C transition in '80 was a huge leap, and the new Group II (or is it III now?) looks like it almost qualifies as "modern technology! I went back to the B with VAW-88 in '85 ... almost like going back to grease pencil technology again.

smigaldi said:
That is a gross under-exageration ;)

What about all those quaint rituals on board ship? Like converting the slimy pollywogs to crusty shellbacks?:D:D

Shellback here ... I wouldn't call the ritual exactly "entertaining" ... fortunate for me, the Nimitz was full of 'wogs, since it had never crossed the Equator until the cruise I was on, which really shortened the amount of time each of us 'wogs received special attention.

gkainz said:
I didn't know that! Cool! Was that with the E-2A? When was that? You didn't happen to know Vince Bletch, Tony Hidalgo, Doc Swagart, or TC Smith?

Yeah, the equipment has sure improved since I last flew. The B to C transition in '80 was a huge leap, and the new Group II (or is it III now?) looks like it almost qualifies as "modern technology! I went back to the B with VAW-88 in '85 ... almost like going back to grease pencil technology again.

I was on the ferry crew that delivered the "A" to the VAW Rag in 64 can you tell me what the rag outfit was, when each of the 13 carriers had a det aboard.

The line was mostly Fuds, and Peterpan Spads. Det Alpha was the first to take the "Swoose aboard" Coral Sea (CVA 43) 65, and became VAW-116 in 67 (give me a year oneway or another) I went Shorevay in 69 to NMC Pt Mugu as crewman on 151617 the first "A" to be converted to "B" but spent most of my time there as flight crew on the PMR willies.

2 weeks in Fallon with the E2, and 2 weeks down range with the willie (R7)that is how I spent 5 years. with a new bride in housing.

OH YEAH fun times, the names do not ring a bell. there have been a lot of feet up and down the brow since than.

Last edited:
gkainz said:
Shellback here ... I wouldn't call the ritual exactly "entertaining" ... fortunate for me, the Nimitz was full of 'wogs, since it had never crossed the Equator until the cruise I was on, which really shortened the amount of time each of us 'wogs received special attention.

I was converted to the shell back in 64, and then went across again in 76 and 81, yeah I beat some a--.!!!

royal dentist in 76
royal sheriff in 81

Woog team pulls "gitty up woog" Pull, you stupid Woog PULL! (for you beach creachers, tug of war with a slime pit between the teams)

Last edited:
gkainz said:

The E2 Delta is just around the corner brand new multi mission aircraft with Royal Royce Alison AE 2100 engines and Dowdty Rotal septer props and gear boxes. a Wopping 1100 horses per side.. Yee-HAw I've been told it'll out run the cat.

and the back end looks like multifunctioning video games with CIC running the whole airshow.

If I recall my history lessons learned at the knee of the crusty chiefs in Flight Tech Training when I was in the rag in '77 (RVAW-110 then), the rag in '64 would have been VAW-11 or VAW-12?

gkainz said:
If I recall my history lessons learned at the knee of the crusty chiefs in Flight Tech Training when I was in the rag in '77 (RVAW-110 then), the rag in '64 would have been VAW-11 or VAW-12?

Right On, WE were VAW 11 det A CO was Cdr Manering then Cdr Wolf.

I've seen the pics of the new scepter props ... 8 blades if I recall? I remember discussions of the Allison engines way back when ... they were also discussing water injection and other options to get more HP as they kept cramming more weight in the back end.

The new kids ought to fit right into that new back end just like hogs to slop ... nothing but a $20 MM flying video game ... and I'll bet that price per copy is way off by now ...

gkainz said:
I've seen the pics of the new scepter props ... 8 blades if I recall? I remember discussions of the Allison engines way back when ... they were also discussing water injection and other options to get more HP as they kept cramming more weight in the back end.

The new kids ought to fit right into that new back end just like hogs to slop ... nothing but a $20 MM flying video game ... and I'll bet that price per copy is way off by now ...

The six blade props are Dowdy Rotal and the 8 bladed props are Hamilton Standard..

Lets hope they go with Dowdy,,,,,,,vastly superior system I still deal with the issues plaguing the Hamilton Standard almost daily, they are a total self contained system, running on hydraulic fluid. and fail almost every time we turn around there is always some thing wrong with them, due to the very touchy rigging between the cockpit and the front of the engine, valve housing, or pitch locK system.

The new 8 blade prop is basicly the same prop with a different hub and blade arrangement.

The dowdty runs on the same oil as the engine and gear box with a gear box that runs the PCU at the accessory section and has one moving part in the prop dome, The PCU is engine computer driven, and seems very reliable, any thing goes wrong, its a 20 minute swap out. If any blade gets dinged it can be swapped out 1 at a time.

I worked the Dowdy Rotal props on the TC-4-C for 8 years, never had to change a prop for a prop failure, and only changed 1 PCU. in all that time.

Last edited:
NC19143 said:
I worked the Dowdy Rotal props on the TC-4-C for 8 years, never had to change a prop for a prop failure, and only changed 1 PCU. in all that time.
Wow - that's some good uptime! I hate to even recall how many prop changes we went thru on a typical cruise even on the older Hamilton props, and the complexity you described on the new ones sounds really touchy!

NC19143 said:
I was on the ferry crew that delivered the "A" to the VAW Rag in 64 can you tell me what the rag outfit was, when each of the 13 carriers had a det aboard.

The line was mostly Fuds, and Peterpan Spads. Det Alpha was the first to take the "Swoose aboard" Coral Sea (CVA 43) 65, and became VAW-116 in 67 (give me a year oneway or another) I went Shorevay in 69 to NMC Pt Mugu as crewman on 151617 the first "A" to be converted to "B" but spent most of my time there as flight crew on the PMR willies.

2 weeks in Fallon with the E2, and 2 weeks down range with the willie (R7)that is how I spent 5 years. with a new bride in housing.

OH YEAH fun times, the names do not ring a bell. there have been a lot of feet up and down the brow since than.

I understood about three words out of that, all aircraft related. Translation please? :)

gkainz said:
Shellback here ... I wouldn't call the ritual exactly "entertaining"

I did not call it entertaining, I would call it stupid hazing though. I am glad when we in the Air Force were professional enough that when we pass over the equator or international date line we just keep doing our jobs and not have to strip down and crawl through various types of detrius for the ammusment of the others.

"Professional enough" ??? c'mon - sounds like an inter-service dig there...

Sorry Scott, but in trying to reverse the current trend and tenor of the boards, I'm not going to engage in Navy v Air Force bashing. I'm ex Navy (obviously), my little brother is retired Army Command Master Sergeant, my brother in law is (near retirement) Air Force Master Sergeant, another brother-in-law is ex-Army Captain, and 3 best friends are retired Navy Commander, retired Air Force Lt. Colonel and ex-Air Force Captain. Heck, even my best high school buddy is retired Coast Guard Senior Chief Petty Officer. So, as you can see, I practice military diversity!!!

You do have to realize though, that the Navy E-2C Hawkeye does with 2 engines and a crew of 5 (2 + 3) the same job that the Air Force E-3C AWACS takes 4 engines and a crew of 22 (4 + 18) to perform? :)

But I sure do envy their galley, seats, crew rest areas and home base!!! :)

Hand Salute to all the service men and women!

Last edited:
gkainz said:
Sorry Scott, but in trying to reverse the current trend and tenor of the boards, I'm not going to engage in Navy v Air Force bashing.
I applaud you then.

gkainz said:
You do have to realize though, that the Navy E-2C Hawkeye does with 2 engines and a crew of 5 (2 + 3) the same job that the Air Force E-3C AWACS takes 4 engines and a crew of 22 (4 + 18) to perform? :)
Guess I'll have to unapplaud you now that you decided to a little bashing of your own two seconds after your statement from above. ;)

And BTW I was not Navy bashing with my comment about the 'rituals' I just think it is a great waste of time, and tax payer money, all for the enjoyment of a few borderline sadists. Regardless of which branch of service it may belong too. The AF has a few stupid rituals as well.

smigaldi said:
And BTW I was not Navy bashing with my comment about the 'rituals' I just think it is a great waste of time, and tax payer money, all for the enjoyment of a few borderline sadists. Regardless of which branch of service it may belong too. The AF has a few stupid rituals as well.

I think these traditions stem from long cruises and time away from friends and family. I see nothing wrong with them and if it helps moral, I think its worth the taxpayer money as it probably get better productivity. No, I'm not a former Squidly Diddley! :)

Rest assured that I'm darn glad that the tradition of keel hauling hasn't survived... that's a long haul from stem to stern on a carrier!!!

Splicing the main brace is another old tradition that I got to experience (but the qualification period just sucked!)

gkainz said:
Rest assured that I'm darn glad that the tradition of keel hauling hasn't survived... that's a long haul from stem to stern on a carrier!!!

Splicing the main brace is another old tradition that I got to experience (but the qualification period just sucked!)

I may be sorry I asked but, what is the "splicing the main brace" tradition?

Dave Krall CFII said:
I may be sorry I asked but, what is the "splicing the main brace" tradition?
Nah, don't be sorry - it's one of the "good" ones!

http://www.answers.com/topic/splice-the-main-brace

Splice the Main Brace

(Civil War) A Naval term indicating that the crew should muster for their regular issue of Grog. The issue of Grog on U. S. flag vessels ended during the Civil War. It is still practiced in the Royal Navy. The main brace is the line (not rope) that holds the main sail in place. It was always a target of battle and after the battle the first duty of most sailors was to take care of the main brace and splice it if it was torn. On completion of that arduous task it was customary to take a drink of strong spirits to also strengthen the men.

------------------------------------------
We were issued 2 warm beers on the Nimitz after 100 days of continuous operations at sea. I was on the alert crew that day and had to wait until day 101 for mine ... and they just weren't that good ...

gkainz said:
------------------------------------------
We were issued 2 warm beers on the Nimitz after 100 days of continuous operations at sea. I was on the alert crew that day and had to wait until day 101 for mine ... and they just weren't that good ...

WE called the 81 cruise on Indy an 8 pack cruise-- 205 day cruise, 5 days in port, -- Perth.

After returning from the 81 cruise, the first thing I saw on the local news was the coasties bit--in about making a 60 day deployment. All I could do was laugh, we didn't even make the local news returning home.

The '79/80 Nimitz cruise left Norfolk September 10, 1979 as a normal Med cruise. First week in Jan. '80 we (Nimitz, Texas and California - all Nuke boats) high-tailed it out of the Med and around the Cape (slowing down for that "non-professional" ritual of crossing the line) and showed up in the Indian Ocean. We made circles for 144 days on-station, interrupted only by the Iranian Hostage Rescue mission. Nimitz returned to Norfolk on May 26, 1980 - nine months, 2 weeks later.

Some ironies of this cruise - the movie "Final Countdown" was filmed aboard while we were in the Med. Anyone remember where the location was depicted to be in the Movie? Hints - that wasn't the Nimitz steaming in and out of Pearl in the opening and closing shots...

see http://www.answers.com/topic/uss-kitty-hawk-cv-63 and scroll down to 1979-1980

An Air Force B-52 flew from the states to the Gulf of Oman to take photos of some of the ships in the area, where we were making circles and burning JP-5 for months. We spent a week tracking, marking, photo'ing and following ships in the area, and vectored the BUFF to each target for photo ops. They gave a nice flyover and headed back home. We read in the ships newspaper the next week that the BUFF crew earned air medals for their "outstanding performance" during their operations.

I did get to see Perth on the following Connie cruise - one of the nicest places I've been outsite the US.

Back