Nav

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
Well, what can I say? When my subscription to NAV expired I uninstalled it and installed AVG. So far, so good on AVG. Now how do I *really* get rid of Norton?

Only one problem so far: I get a "can't load c:\yadayada\symantic\S32EVNT1.dll" message every time I run a home-brew tickler file. It was written in basic (yes, it is that old) and compiled into an .exe with Turbo Basic. Something is looking for that file but the file and the directory are gone.

Easy fix: hit "Ignore" every time the error message comes up.
What is the real fix?

-Skip

Skip, I just removed Norton on my wife's computer yesterday, and installed AVG.

I removed Norton using the settings->control panel->add/remove programs menu.

There were no glitches, and her computer came up fine with no warnings.

Registry edit. Can't give you details without looking at your registry as I'm not techie enough for tell you where to look in the registry other than to do a search with the "Find" function.

Steve said:
Registry edit. Can't give you details without looking at your registry as I'm not techie enough for tell you where to look in the registry other than to do a search with the "Find" function.

You can google for instructions, too.

FIRST export a copy of the complete registry. Then search [F3] for symantec and delete every key that matches, assuming you don't have other Symantec stuff like PC Anywhere or Ghost.

Last edited:
mikea said:
You can google for instructions, too.

FIRST export a copy of the complete registry. Then search [F3] for symantec and delete every key that matches, assuming you don't have other Symantec stufft like PC Anywhere or Ghost.

You have to do more than that.

Some of the entries are under "Norton", some under "Symantec" and some under arcane names like "NAV" or "SAV" or "Sym" or "cc..." ....

It really is ugly to remove.

wsuffa said:
You have to do more than that.

Some of the entries are under "Norton", some under "Symantec" and some under arcane names like "NAV" or "SAV" or "Sym" or "cc..." ....

It really is ugly to remove.
:p Kinda shows what happens when you buy companies and use summer help and overworked new CS grads to code.

There are tips on how to uninstall the Norton virus:
http://www.cit.cornell.edu/helpdesk/win/nav/uninstallnav.html
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...88256b81007b7487?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

mikea said:
:p Kinda shows what happens when you buy companies and use summer help and overworked new CS grads to code.

Or you think you're the greatest, and why would anyone ever want to do something other than what you think is right and the way you think it ought to be done. :rolleyes: Oh, wait, we were talking about Symantec and not Microsoft... :D

wsuffa said:
Or you think you're the greatest, and why would anyone ever want to do something other than what you think is right and the way you think it ought to be done. :rolleyes: Oh, wait, we were talking about Symantec and not Microsoft... :D
Yeahbut. It applies to both. :rolleyes:

If you hear the saga on the Vista delay a large part is supposed to be due to starting over due to a lack of adult supervison. They have thrown away a lotta work...and the MS blogger who said "better we push back the ship date than ship a t*rd."

I actually feel sorry for all coders. Software development is still amazingly harder than it should be. Everything else has made leaps ahead. The coding tools are better but managing large software projects still requires certain amounts of magic.

mikea said:
Yeahbut. It applies to both. :rolleyes:

If you hear the saga on the Vista delay a large part is supposed to be due to starting over due to a lack of adult supervison. They have thrown away a lotta work...and the MS blogger who said "better we push back the ship date than ship a t*rd."

I actually feel sorry for all coders. Software development is still amazingly harder than it should be. Everything else has made leaps ahead. The coding tools are better but managing large software projects still requires certain amounts of magic.

Look sometime at the FAA's ill-fated AAS project. My ex- was a programmer/coder on that way back when.

http://www.baselinemag.com/article2/0,1540,656647,00.asp

You can count the lack of definition in the billions.

jangell said:
Symantec made a great tool for removing left over pieces of Norton.

Here it is:
http://www.jesseangell.com/downloads/SymNRT.exe

Just run it..and be amazed.
Slick looking program, Jesse. Too bad, though... it didn't work. Something is still trying to load that DLL file that isn't there.

I guess we should expect this result from the folks at Symantec. :(

-Skip

Back