Nav malfunction report to ATC

poadeleted20

Deleted
When a pilot makes the FAR-required report of malfunction of a nav system to ATC, what does the controller do with that information? Is that passed along to the succeeding controllers/facilities? Added to the data block/strip? Change to suffix if appropriate?

When a pilot makes the FAR-required report of malfunction of a nav system to ATC, what does the controller do with that information? Is that passed along to the succeeding controllers/facilities? Added to the data block/strip? Change to suffix if appropriate?

Assuming I was not the last controller, I amended the suffix if called for and entered the info in the remarks section of the flight progress strip.

Several ways of handling it. Of course want to get a second aircraft report first before you do anything. Primary thing is once it's confirmed out, you want to get the "owners" of that piece of NAVAID equipment working on it in a hurry. I can't remember NAS time requirements for sending the NOTAM because we went by the NAVAIR 114-80T & 3721.30. Basic guidance from the .65:

2−1−9. REPORTING ESSENTIAL FLIGHT INFORMATION Report as soon as possible to the appropriate FSS, airport manager’s office, ARTCC, approach control facility, operations office, or military operations office any information concerning components of the NAS or any flight conditions which may have an adverse effect on air safety. NOTE− FSSs are responsible for classifying and disseminating Notices to Airmen. REFERENCE− FAAO JO 7110.65, Para 3−3−3, Timely Information. FAAO JO 7110.65, Para 5−1−6, Service Limitations. FAAO JO 7210.3, Para 3−1−2, Periodic Maintenance. USN, See OPNAVINST 3721.30.

2−1−10. NAVAID MALFUNCTIONS a. When an aircraft reports a ground−based NAVAID malfunction, take the following actions: 1. Request a report from a second aircraft. 2. If the second aircraft reports normal operations, continue use and inform the first aircraft. Record the incident on FAA Form 7230−4 or appropriate military form. 3. If the second aircraft confirms the malfunc- tion or in the absence of a second aircraft report, activate the standby equipment or request the monitor facility to activate. 4. If normal operation is reported after the standby equipment is activated, continue use, record the incident on FAA Form 7230−4 or appropriate military form, and notify technical operations personnel (the Systems Engineer of the ARTCC when an en route aid is involved). 5. If continued malfunction is reported after the standby equipment is activated or the standby equipment cannot be activated, inform technical operations personnel and request advice on whether or not the aid should be shut down. In the absence of a second aircraft report, advise the technical operations personnel of the time of the initial aircraft report and the estimated time a second aircraft report could be obtained. b. When an aircraft reports a GPS anomaly, request the following information and/or take the following actions:

1. Record the following minimum information: (a) Aircraft call sign and type. (b) Location. (c) Altitude. (d) Date/time of occurrence. 2. Record the incident on FAA Form 7230−4 or appropriate military form. 3. Broadcast the anomaly report to other aircraft as necessary. PHRASEOLOGY− ATTENTION ALL AIRCRAFT, GPS REPORTED UNRELIABLE IN VICINITY/AREA (position). EXAMPLE− “Attention all aircraft, GPS reported unreliable in the area 30 miles south of Waco VOR.” c. When an aircraft reports a Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS) anomaly, request the following information and/or take the following actions: 1. Determine if the pilot has lost all WAAS service. PHRASEOLOGY− ARE YOU RECEIVING ANY WAAS SERVICE? 2. If the pilot reports receipt of any WAAS service, acknowledge the report and continue normal operations. 3. If the pilot reports loss of all WAAS service, report as a GPS anomaly using procedures in subpara 2−1−10b.

Are you referring a failure of equipment in your plane, or of an ATC component?

Oh, thought you were referring to an NAS NAVAID being out. Doesn't say it here but obviously update the strip with the new equipment suffix. Pilot equipment outage:

2−1−7. INFLIGHT EQUIPMENT MALFUNCTIONS a. When a pilot reports an inflight equipment malfunction, determine the nature and extent of any special handling desired. NOTE− Inflight equipment malfunctions include partial or complete failure of equipment, which may affect either safety, separation standards, and/or the ability of the flight to proceed under IFR, or in Reduced Vertical Separation Minimum (RVSM) airspace, in the ATC system. Control- lers may expect reports from pilots regarding VOR, TACAN, ADF, GPS, RVSM capability, or low frequency navigation receivers, impairment of air−ground commu- nications capability, or other equipment deemed appropriate by the pilot (e.g., airborne weather radar). Pilots should communicate the nature and extent of any assistance desired from ATC. b. Provide the maximum assistance possible consistent with equipment, workload, and any special handling requested. c. Relay to other controllers or facilities who will subsequently handle the aircraft, all pertinent details concerning the aircraft and any special handling required or being provided.

Last edited:
Usually followed by, "do you require any assistance?"

I lost both Navs over the Grand Canyon heading to St Louis on my first trip after PP. I informed ATC I was continuing on pilotage and asked them to give me a warning if I was going to bust airspace. They did one better and vectored me all the way to St Louis including 2 fuel stops.

Are you referring a failure of equipment in your plane, or of an ATC component?
On-board failure, which must be reported to ATC:
Sec. 91.187

Operation under IFR in controlled airspace: Malfunction reports.

(a) The pilot in command of each aircraft operated in controlled airspace under IFR shall report as soon as practical to ATC any malfunctions of navigational, approach, or communication equipment occurring in flight.
(b) In each report required by paragraph (a) of this section, the pilot in command shall include the--
(1) Aircraft identification;
(2) Equipment affected;
(3) Degree to which the capability of the pilot to operate under IFR in the ATC system is impaired; and
(4) Nature and extent of assistance desired from ATC.
AggieMike and I were talking about that this morning, and he asked me what ATC does besides offer help when you say "My GPS just died" -- and I didn't know the answer. I gather from the posts above that the controller would probably change the equipment suffix appropriately, and put something in the Remarks block of the strip (I assume that is implicitly required by "c. Relay to other controllers or facilities who will subsequently handle the aircraft, all pertinent details concerning the aircraft and any special handling required or being provided").

Sec. 91.187

Operation under IFR in controlled airspace: Malfunction reports.

(a) The pilot in command of each aircraft operated in controlled airspace under IFR shall report as soon as practical to ATC any malfunctions of navigational, approach, or communication equipment occurring in flight.
(b) In each report required by paragraph (a) of this section, the pilot in command shall include the--
(1) Aircraft identification;
(2) Equipment affected;
(3) Degree to which the capability of the pilot to operate under IFR in the ATC system is impaired; and
(4) Nature and extent of assistance desired from ATC.

JOOC, is this required if the "malfunction" has no impact on your ability to navigate or communicate?

For example:

1) You notice that the third digit of the frequency display is missing a segment on the LOC/VOR in navcom #2 and you're navigating with GPS on radio #1?

2) Your handheld GPS battery dies mid-flight?

3) Comm #2 won't transmit anymore but switching to comm #1 solves the problem for now?

4) Your iPad overheats and turns itself off. You have paper charts for the route and approaches being flown.

5) Same as #4 except the backup is your iPhone and there are no paper charts in the plane.

I would think it depends on how the PIC defines malfunction. If a pilot wants to report that the battery died on their backup GPS or a light is out on their radio, fine. When the controller asks what type of assistance is needed, just say none. Although, I think the purpose behind the rule is to make ATC aware of something that actually affects your flight. In the military you could report the loss of your Blue Force Tracker and ATC would be dumbfounded. Even the loss of an FM radio would have no impact on safety. I think common sense has to apply for some of this.

I would think it depends on how the PIC defines malfunction. If a pilot wants to report that the battery died on their backup GPS or a light is out on their radio, fine. When the controller asks what type of assistance is needed, just say none. Although, I think the purpose behind the rule is to make ATC aware of something that actually affects your flight. In the military you could report the loss of your Blue Force Tracker and ATC would be dumbfounded. Even the loss of an FM radio would have no impact on safety. I think common sense has to apply for some of this.
I think the average FAA Operations Inspector would agree. What the FAA Counsel would say is anybody's guess, but I hope nobody asks them.

When I lost my vac pump last Saturday over northern Florida I advised ATC. They asked if I needed assistance and I said no. It was VFR the rest of the way to Ft. Myers.

Back