Nav Interference

Mverkade

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mverk80
Hey all,

First post here. I would appreciate some input/direction. I fly an old Skyhawk and am doing some IFR work in it. Old school KX170’s and King CDI’s, not sure on the exact models but Nav 1 has Loc/Gs and Nav 2 is VOR/Loc. Just had a GMA audio panel installed and a few other things changed. Prior to the avionics work we had an issue with interference on Nav 1 whenever transmitting over either com, the glide slope needle deflects when using PTT. I had hoped that this would have been cleared up with an actual audio panel and wiring clean up. I’m still getting the issue. Any words of wisdom that I can start looking for prior to spending some more $$ and getting it back to the shop? ILS, LOC and VOR track great. It’s just when transmitting that I have an issue.

I would first suspect the coax. The KX170 does not have a glideslope receiver. The GS receiver is integrated in the Indicator. There may be some faulty coax allowing "cross talk" between the two. Somewhere in the antenna system there should be a diplexer which splits the signal from a single nav antenna usually mounted high on the tail, into VOR/LOC and GS. could be as simple as a bad connection at that point. I try to keep the run from the diplexer to the receivers as short as I can, with one long run to the antenna.

Thank you for the advice. I’ll check those connections. We have an annual coming up shortly which should give me some easier access to look for discrepancies.

Back