Nature is Amazing!

K

KennyFlys

I got these by email today. Some pretty amazing pictures... the comment below is quoted from the email:

The water froze the instant the wave broke through the ice. That's what it is like in Antarctica where it is the coldest weather in decades. Water freezes the instant it comes in contact with the air. The temperature of the water is already some degrees below freezing. Just look at how the wave froze in midair?
The blue ice is very pretty and would make some beautiful ice sculptures but given the temperature, I have to wonder how easy it would be to chip or cut for such art.

Attachments

• Ice_1.jpg
    Ice_1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Ice_2.jpg
    Ice_2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Ice_3.jpg
    Ice_3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Ice_4.jpg
    Ice_4.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Ice_5.jpg
    Ice_5.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Ice_6.jpg
    Ice_6.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Ice_7.jpg
    Ice_7.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Ice_8.jpg
    Ice_8.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Ice_9.jpg
    Ice_9.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Ice_10.jpg
    Ice_10.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Ice_11.jpg
    Ice_11.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Ice_12.jpg
    Ice_12.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 29
That's beautiful, Kenny. Thanks for sharing! :)

I wonder...what force caused such a wave? And what force caused it to puncture the ice?

Water is heavy, it takes a lot to get it moving yet it will still take the path of least resistance. Some immense force was involved.

All this is predicated on the presumption that this occurred not on the edge of an ice shelf but further "inland".

All this is predicated on the presumption that this occurred not on the edge of an ice shelf but further "inland".
I wondered the same thing when I first looked at the pictures. I'd like to know more about the event.

I have no idea how ice becomes "shaped" like this, but the idea that they're "frozen waves" immediately set off my BS detector. In particular, anybody who's had an opportunity to hang out with some glaciers will recognize the distinctive "blue color" of glacial ice, which is formed slowly.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/antarcticwave.asp
http://www.slightlywarped.com/crapfactory/amazingimages/icewave.htm
-harry
Harry, there ya go raining on my parade again! :)

I've not been hanging around a glacier lately. :) I can see how it somewhere got twisted due to the appearance in shape. Thanks for the corrections. Many times I do look up such claims but I never thought this to be out of place.

I wonder what flavor they are...?
Blue is a flavor, isn't it?

main_flavorice.jpg

-harry

Back