NATO code names

Tantalum

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
San_Diego_Pilot
Anyone know why, or how, the NATO code names are derived? I ask because this was always peculiar to me when I would read my Jane's books..

For example, one of the coolest aircraft, period, has an absolute bonkers code name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-22

While others, like the TU-22 have a bad#ss name like "Blinder"

So what gives..? And what's the point. Why is "Blinder" more appropriate than "TU-22"

I've wondered this for just about as long as I can remember, but never thought to ask, until today.

Doesn't everything get a nickname?

I -think- the names are the actual Soviet/Russian designations for aircraft. As opposed to tanks, which are simply T followed by the first year of appearance, e.g. T55, etc... Although the new T14 Armata does have a name. It's a pretty scary tank, too.

actual Soviet/Russian designations
So that's what I thought too originally.. but the Russian's call that big Hunt for Red October submarine an "Akula" (shark) while NATO calls it Typhoon.. and what NATO calls Akula, the Sovie..err..Russians call Shchuka, meaning Pike

In the aircraft above, the AN22, they named in Antaeus, a Greek god, and NATO calls it "cock" ..

Wikipedia did a reasonable job at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_reporting_name
"To reduce the risk of confusion, unusual or made-up names were allocated, the idea being that the names chosen would be unlikely to occur in normal conversation, and be easier to memorise. For fixed-wing aircraft, single-syllable words denoted piston-prop and turboprop, while multiple-syllable words denoted jets. Bombers had names starting with the letter B and names like "Badger" (2 syllables: jet), "Bear" (single syllable: propeller), and "Blackjack" were used. "Frogfoot," the reporting name for the Sukhoi Su-25, references the aircraft's close air support role. Transports had names starting with C (as in "cargo"), which resulted in names like "Condor" or "Candid"."

Interesting.. wonder if they're still used. Looks like it was mainly for Chinese and Russian / Soviet military tech

Which, after reading Wikipedia "cock" makes sense, they started with "C" for cargo and their prop planes had to be single syllable..

Anyone know why, or how, the NATO code names are derived? I ask because this was always peculiar to me when I would read my Jane's books..

For example, one of the coolest aircraft, period, has an absolute bonkers code name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-22

While others, like the TU-22 have a bad#ss name like "Blinder"

So what gives..? And what's the point. Why is "Blinder" more appropriate than "TU-22"

I've wondered this for just about as long as I can remember, but never thought to ask, until today.
The nicknames are probably a way to handle incomplete intelligence regarding the formal Russian names for the aircraft, especially in the '50s and '60s. I think the Soviet-era designations varied a bit, too, and when working with multiple countries/languages in NATO, it probably would be better to have a clear name.

As for which names were selected, I always figured they had a pre-prepared list and just assigned them as needed.... A list of "B" words for the bombers, "C" words for the transports, etc. Probably the key factor is ensuring the words are distinctive enough that they won't be confused when heard over the radio.

Don't forget, the US did exactly the same thing during WWII...assigned code terms to Japanese aircraft. So you had the Zeke, the Hamp, the Betty, the Nick, the Kate, etc.

Bit of a trivia point: The "Hamp" was originally named the "Hap", in honor of General Arnold. He let them know he didn't like it, so they changed it.

Not sure why they did it with the Japanese and not the German or Italian aircraft, but the German and Italian designations and company names were probably better understood.

Ron Wanttaja

Anyone know why, or how, the NATO code names are derived?

I can't speak to how NATO comes up with names for things, but from what I understand names are easier to remember than a number... unless of course it is a real expensive German car... than the number is usually indicative of the price tag... :D

Simple words for simple minds. Worked for me, thank you.

Wikipedia has a remarkably good explanation. It's a wiki so it must be true.

Because we used up all the cool Indian names.

As pointed out, the first letter is derived from the operational role and the name is chosen to hopefully correspond to or reinforce an identifying feature.

For instance, the MiG-29 Fulcrum has a canted fuselage forward of the canopy, The MiG-21 Fishbed has its round intake in its nose with a prominent pitot tube.

"If it has a wanker, then its a Flanker."

Back