National Geographic ( X post)

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
One of the greatest magazines ever IMHO is National Geographic. Heres the problem. What do you all do with old issues? These are really educational periodicals and I kind of feel guilty trashing them. Perhaps I should just get over it. What do you do.

AdamZ said:
One of the greatest magazines ever IMHO is National Geographic. Heres the problem. What do you all do with old issues? These are really educational periodicals and I kind of feel guilty trashing them. Perhaps I should just get over it. What do you do.
We recycled them, Adam. We have (somewhere -- I haven't looked for them since we moved) everything on CDROM through 2000 or so from the very beginning.

AdamZ said:
Call the librarian at your local elementary or middle school. If they don't want them, trash them.

They are great magazines - but it is not like they are rare. If there were that many copies of the Guttenberg Bible, they'd be in the trash, too...

-Skip

Shoot, we gave ours to the guy down the road - he didn't have the money to subscribe, so we passed ours on to him. He read every word. I know, because then he would come over and tell me about it! :)

Maria would give her used issues of SCIENCE to the local charter school, which was also delighted to have them!

There are folks around who would be happy to get them. Your doctor's or dentist's office. Or the local health clinic, so those folks would have something to read while waiting!

The problem is - EVERYONE collects them. (The ones with the 'bare breasts' might be worth something still, assuming that schoolboys have not drooled on them and wrinkeled the pages.. :eek: ;) :rolleyes: ). I think my parents have them going back to 1950-something.

I know someone in their 80's that has every issue of Life going back to Issue #1 - her late husband stipulated that the collection 'remain intact, and not be given away/sold in pieces' - no one wants the entire collection, just certain issues, because the collection is available on CDROM, fische, or other archive. So it sits.

Same problem with National Geo.

Recycle. Most librarys already ahve a subscription. If they don't they would rather have you give them a gift subscription than give them old magazines.

Back