National 490 parachutes

Nancy Moeller

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Nancy
Hi, I just "inherited" my step-dads National 490 parachutes, two of them. Any ideas on a venue to sell them. Thanks!

Cookeville, TN. He was a pilot, preformed aerobatics and had the chutes with him when flying. They were inspected every year until he quit flying because of his age. However, as far as I know they have never been deployed.

Just an idea but alot of Glider pilots use parachutes. Might ask around at glider clubs. I know there’s a big glider operation in Chilhowee TN; but don’t know what else would be near your area. Just an idea.

Find a jump zone near you and call them. Tells us your general location and you should get tips here.

Those are pilot emergency parachutes and wouldn't be used by skydivers, Principal users of these would be aerobatic pilots and glider pilots who fly in contests, both of which are fairly small groups. Chances are anyone who would buy them would want them inspected by a parachute rigger, so you may want to contact some parachute lofts that sell these to see if they will take them on consignment.

I’m researching buying a parachute for my glider, what I’ve learned is: the first question will be “when was it last repacked?”.

as the other poster said, the Skydiving place wouldn’t be a buyer for this _but_ they would know who repacks parachutes (“parachute rigger”), and that’s probably who you need to talk to, to get them inspected / repacked.
(Disclaimer: I’m not a parachute expert, but whatever it is they do that makes the parachute “good for another few years” so glider folks like us can use them).

Last edited:
Those are pilot emergency parachutes and wouldn't be used by skydivers, Principal users of these would be aerobatic pilots and glider pilots who fly in contests, both of which are fairly small groups. Chances are anyone who would buy them would want them inspected by a parachute rigger, so you may want to contact some parachute lofts that sell these to see if they will take them on consignment.
Ah. @Nancy Moeller ^^^^^

How old are they? National recommends a maximum service life of 20 years.

Back