NASA X-59 Cleared for Assembly

I am trying to imagine an airliner based on this design trying to taxi around, up to the gate at any airport USA.

Low-Boom Flight Demonstrator
"It is expected to cruise at Mach 1.42 (1,510 km/h; 937 mph) and 55,000 ft (16,800 m), creating a low 75 Perceived Level decibel (PLdB) thump"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_X-59_QueSST
1024px-Low-Boom_Flight_Demonstrator.jpg

dims

I miss being woken up right after sunrise with a sonic boom that rattles the house....

My sister lives on a lake in Titusville (right across the Indian River from the shuttle landing facility). She was sitting on a platform next to the lake when the shuttle came in to land and gave off the double boom. She said there were alligators everywhere (including quite a few close to where she was) roaring back at it with their mouths wide open!

I know the first time they landed at KSC it woke my wife and I up and we were in Orlando.

The Only aircraft sonic boom I ever heard was on a Disney cruise ship, senior year band trip, returning to the Cape in March of '94. A former girlfriend and I stayed up all night on the balcony talking and waiting to see the shuttle come in as we approached the dock. Just a little funny business (R rated or less) and we heard the BoomBoom as dawn was approaching. We couldn't see the shuttle from our side of the boat but did see the T-38 chase planes. It was, as they say, memorable.

Back