NASA too broke to build new rocket...

Pieces, yes... Like I already said, NASA doesn't *build* anything. They do, however, have a major part in the *design* and they verify everything. That's vastly different from "Here's our astronauts, you take 'em."

Including budgets in the continuous world of "under bid and over run" project funding. I've got a good video on the boat about the space program as told by the astronauts. One tidbit that was interesting, was one of the other other astronauts discussing with Gus Grissom the shoddy wiring in the Apollo one capsule and asking Gus who had oversight "Why don't you complain about this, it isn't right." to which Gus responded "If I complain they'll fire me."

Well, if you hold the belief that there's nothing to be gained from exploration, I'm not sure what I can say to change your mind. Oftentimes, exploration is undertaken in the name of profit. Marco Polo, Columbus, etc. Sometimes it is undertaken in the name of progress. The moon, for example. As a people, I believe we have benefited immensely from all of these. We frequently achieve totally unexpected advances when we undertake exploration.

We went to the moon as a publicity stunt. We were at war with the USSR. Just like ancient armies would send out their champions to fight, we sent our champions into space, they sent theirs. Ours won.

As much as I love spaceflight, something Yoda said really makes sense. Do, or do not, there is no try. A mission to Mars requires consistent funding and effort across multiple administrations, not the sort of piece-meal thing going on right now. And while such a voyage would be utterly ground-breaking, we really don't have the cash right now. We're pretty deep in hock.

We went to the moon as a publicity stunt. We were at war with the USSR. Just like ancient armies would send out their champions to fight, we sent our champions into space, they sent theirs. Ours won.

As much as I love spaceflight, something Yoda said really makes sense. Do, or do not, there is no try. A mission to Mars requires consistent funding and effort across multiple administrations, not the sort of piece-meal thing going on right now. And while such a voyage would be utterly ground-breaking, we really don't have the cash right now. We're pretty deep in hock.

What would be the purpose of a manned mission to Mars anyway? Doesn't make sense really. It's not like it's habitable or we have the technology to terraform and there's no resource there that it would be feasible to go get....

What would be the purpose of a manned mission to Mars anyway? Doesn't make sense really. It's not like it's habitable or we have the technology to terraform and there's no resource there that it would be feasible to go get....

Define "habitable"

This defense of government workers thread is rather entertaining.

Here' the scoop: Contractors are motivated by doing a good enough job to stay employed and get the next contract.

Government hires are basically permanent, so expansion of personal empire is only the "incentive." Stick around long enough and you'll realize merit incentives and the like are illusions.

Build an empire -- now you're "critical" and somewhat less likely to be downsized, outsourced, or cancelled.

I think of it as a technology generator, much like the Moon shots. There was and is little financial motivation to visit either, the but the funds dispersed for the Moon landings has more than been paid back in technological developments and the resultant industries.

Next question is "why do we spend so much effort trying to postpone death?"...if it is even possible to postpone it.

Over a long enough time period, the survivability rate drops to zero. Looking at it from that point of view, there's no point in doing anything.

True. Then again, there wasn't much sensible purpose when the first monkey jumped down out of the tree and wandered around for a bit on the ground. Curiosity maybe? Picking up a dropped favorite stick? He probably wasn't thinking about computers, indoor plumbing, walking on the moon or the incredible photo's coming to us directly from little blocks of metal and silicone sailing around Saturn. That came later, much later. The distances between things are just much bigger now.

There is more to life than money and start/end dates on tombstones. A lot of people don't get that anymore though. Go outside and look up into the sky tonight. People actually WALKED ON THE MOON. That big thing in the sky actually has human footprints on it's surface way up in the sky. Think about it.

Back to your regularly scheduled beancounters doing everything possible to suppress creativity, spirit and imagination.

Then again, there wasn't much sensible purpose when the first monkey jumped down out of the tree and wandered around for a bit on the ground. Curiosity maybe? Picking up a dropped favorite stick?

I am so very, very glad I don't believe this or I would be very depressed.

True. Then again, there wasn't much sensible purpose when the first monkey jumped down out of the tree and wandered around for a bit on the ground.

Usually animals change locations and niche's to exploit local resources. Humans did likewise for centuries. Columbus wasn't out to discover the New World, he wanted a faster way to the East so he could make money.

We're the first to venture into a new niche for any other reason.

True. Then again, there wasn't much sensible purpose when the first monkey jumped down out of the tree and wandered around for a bit on the ground. Curiosity maybe?

Most likely because he needed to find another place to live because the food and water were running out and it was getting over crowded and everyone was fighting.

Usually animals change locations and niche's to exploit local resources. Humans did likewise for centuries. Columbus wasn't out to discover the New World, he wanted a faster way to the East so he could make money.

We're the first to venture into a new niche for any other reason

Not really, just an extension of the same old reason. We were competing against the Russians for the world's resources. They had beat us at every other step of "The Space Race" so we had to work extra hard to win this one lest we lose the free world and its resources to the Communists.

I think of it as a technology generator, much like the Moon shots. There was and is little financial motivation to visit either, the but the funds dispersed for the Moon landings has more than been paid back in technological developments and the resultant industries.

Well that's just it, what technology will we be generating by a rocket shot to Mars? If we are going to set a national goal to get to man onto Mars it should be by teleportation. Now THAT would be technology development. We already do rockets and space habitats, that's not development, at best it'll be refinement.

This defense of government workers thread is rather entertaining.

Here' the scoop: Contractors are motivated by doing a good enough job to stay employed and get the next contract.

Government hires are basically permanent, so expansion of personal empire is only the "incentive." Stick around long enough and you'll realize merit incentives and the like are illusions.

Build an empire -- now you're "critical" and somewhat less likely to be downsized, outsourced, or cancelled.

Dan - Your stereotypes are incorrect. From what I have personally seen within NASA, the people who work there really believe in what they're doing, and they do a good job because they are space geeks, not because they're "expanding a personal empire."

Dan - Your stereotypes are incorrect. From what I have personally seen within NASA, the people who work there really believe in what they're doing, and they do a good job because they are space geeks, not because they're "expanding a personal empire."

Are you talking about the minions or the people who control the budgets?

Most likely because he needed to find another place to live because the food and water were running out and it was getting over crowded and everyone was fighting.

Huh. Sounds like it IS time to go to Mars. :frown2:

Huh. Sounds like it IS time to go to Mars. :frown2:

Without the ability to terraform, why? What's there? Might as well just Nuke Earth, it still wouldn't be as uninhabitable as Mars, but at least you'd get rid of most the population.

NASA is somewhat different (They work next door and the former head of Safety for the facility was a fellow CAP pilot).

There's still a (small) sense of "mission" there absent in the larger, more wealthy bureaucracies.

Now, if you are attacking "steroetypes," i'll refer you to your first post in this thread.

Even we lousy, slimey DoD contractors have more at heart than pushing out junk to make a buck.

(Most of us in DoD contracting served in the military or retired from a uniformed service. A large percentage of us have children or other family actively serving. There are checks against pure graft)

Last edited:
Are you talking about the minions or the people who control the budgets?

The engineers.

You know, the people that actually do the work - Be they government, or corporate. ;)

(Was just thinking yesterday, we need to get back to the days where the CEO's were engineers...)

Let's clarify. Geeks, even government geeks, behave as you say. Managers, ALL government managers (and most other support types) behave as Dan says.

I've been on both sides. Folks who are directly involved with the mission (designing spacecraft or missions at NASA, making cases at DEA, wreaking havoc at the USMC) are generally very dedicated and do it for the personal satisfaction of doing it. Management/Support types (or REMFs in MilSpeak) spend their time making themselves either invisible or invaluable, WHETHER IT CONTRIBUTES TO THE MISSION OR NOT.

Well that's just it, what technology will we be generating by a rocket shot to Mars? If we are going to set a national goal to get to man onto Mars it should be by teleportation. Now THAT would be technology development. We already do rockets and space habitats, that's not development, at best it'll be refinement.

We would need an autonomously functioning artificial and livable environment, something not possible here on Earth right now (an environment with no input from the outside whatsoever). Such technology could help people live in places not currently or only marginally habitable, and would probably give us massive insight into our own environment. The rocket the goes to Mars and returns will have to be an order of magnitude more technologically advanced than what we have, or it will be too heavy to boost out of Earth's gravity. Advances in rocket motors can easily find their way into other spacecraft and even into aircraft. Even getting big payloads off Earth will have dramatic returns.

That comes right off the top of my bald head. I doubt anyone working on the Moon shots would have predicted the internet as a side benefit. Unfortunately, we're broke and in hock, and can't really afford any of this stuff anyway.

Let's clarify. Geeks, even government geeks, behave as you say. Managers, ALL government managers (and most other support types) behave as Dan says.

I've been on both sides. Folks who are directly involved with the mission (designing spacecraft or missions at NASA, making cases at DEA, wreaking havoc at the USMC) are generally very dedicated and do it for the personal satisfaction of doing it. Management/Support types (or REMFs in MilSpeak) spend their time making themselves either invisible or invaluable, WHETHER IT CONTRIBUTES TO THE MISSION OR NOT.

Tim -- that's sadly, generally true, but every so often one of us "management" types stand up for what's right.

But it's a lonely place.

Tim -- that's sadly, generally true, but every so often one of us "management" types stand up for what's right.

But it's a lonely place.
Yes it is, and I'll say that it's less lonely in corporate management than government - having done both.

I've met some really good people in both sides, but good government managers tend to be the "supervisors" who are directly oriented with the Mission (like a supervisory special agent or ASAC) as opposed to the others.

Able to sustain human life from local resources.

People in NY City aren't able to sustain life for local resources at this time...and certainly not in the millions.

Why are you not allowing people to bring resources along?

People in NY City aren't able to sustain life for local resources at this time...and certainly not in the millions.

The resources to supply a small group of adult humans for the needed time span are not insignificant. I had thought that what was desired was a longer-term stay on Mars.

Dude, I run a boat with a crew of 7, we have to haul a major load of groceries every 2 weeks just for the crew. When in guest service it's three times as much. Local resources in this context is on the same freaking planet, Mars you'd have to haul them from Earth. Billion dollar grocery runs just don't cut it. You could potentially and at great expense build a "biosphere" type operation, but Biosphere II failed on the O2 side of things due to microbe consumption, so you need a good power supply and water so you can replenish O2. Where would this financing come from and why?

Dude, I run a boat with a crew of 7, we have to haul a major load of groceries every 2 weeks just for the crew. When in guest service it's three times as much. Local resources in this context is on the same freaking planet, Mars you'd have to haul them from Earth. Billion dollar grocery runs just don't cut it. You could potentially and at great expense build a "biosphere" type operation, but Biosphere II failed on the O2 side of things due to microbe consumption, so you need a good power supply and water so you can replenish O2. Where would this financing come from and why?

I've been saying pretty much the same thing. The technical challenges to a Mars mission are enormous, and the potential for concrete gain miniscule. The up side I discussed is usually surmounting huge technical challenges usually leads to useful technological development. But like I said, we're broke and in hock, and can't afford it.

I've been saying pretty much the same thing. The technical challenges to a Mars mission are enormous, and the potential for concrete gain miniscule. The up side I discussed is usually surmounting huge technical challenges usually leads to useful technological development. But like I said, we're broke and in hock, and can't afford it.

The thing is, even the technical gain from a rocket centric manned mission to Mars will be miniscule for the cost. If we're going to put that kind of effort and capital into it, it should be for a quantum leap in technology, not an increase in scale. Teleportation... that's the way....

The thing is, even the technical gain from a rocket centric manned mission to Mars will be miniscule for the cost. If we're going to put that kind of effort and capital into it, it should be for a quantum leap in technology, not an increase in scale. Teleportation... that's the way....

I suspect a vehicle capable of maintaining a small crew for an extended period, flying to Mars and returning from there will indeed require a quantum leap in technology.

The up side I discussed is usually surmounting huge technical challenges usually leads to useful technological development. But like I said, we're broke and in hock, and can't afford it.
I think we need to be willing to invest in useful technological development without attaching it to something sexy like space travel where we spend huge amounts for the sexiness in comparison with the technological benefit.

I think we need to be willing to invest in useful technological development without attaching it to something sexy like space travel where we spend huge amounts for the sexiness in comparison with the technological benefit.
Like alternative energy maybe?

The thing that saddens me is that over the past 30 years we have fallen behind in so many technologies. Telecom, transport, energy, electronics, etc. We have a few niches left but those are dying pretty quick too.

Yes actually. Being able to break away from oil could lead to incredible ROIs

I keep telling them to perfect the Dilithium crystal technology, but they don't listen.

Back