NASA reports

douglas393

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
douglas
Read this in the July 2013 issue of Sport Aviation.

...the advisory circular that sets out the ASRS(AC 00-46E) had been amended in the final days of 2011. Only minor revisions were made to the AC and it received little attention or fanfare at the time. However, the AC now states that to receive immunity, in addition to the other criteria, the certificate holder must prove that "within 10 days after the violation, or date when the person became aware or should have been aware of the violation, he or she [sent in a NASA report].

If this has been discussed before I am sore for my ignorance, and thankfully I have never had the need to file one, it sort of gives us some possible breathing room if something we do not think is a big deal or a violation is seen by someone as one, and gives us a chance to report it to NASA, when we get notified of the problem, and get some help.

If you have been told by tower to call them when you land, this is not going to save your ass.

There is no way in any circumstance that I can see where I would use this.

This is a trick, gimmick to get ignorant people to self report but to what end?

Yes it might be nice for the gment to know what types of mistakes are made for their policy making but really come on, do you really thinks our gment is proactive?

This smells like 7 day old fish.

The example they gave was someone who inadvertently busted a TFR while being directed by ATC. He did not even realize he busted until a month later when he got a call from the FAA. He was able to file the NASA at the point and it was legit. Evidently, the FAA lawyer was initially unaware of the change, and when informed he avoided a suspension of his license.

I agree with you that the provision would not be applicable if you are told to call the tower because that is when the time clock starts counting down, but that is exactly the point EAA is making. Before the change, you could be reported for a violation you did not know you even made, and if you were made aware of the violation after the 10 day period you had no recourse with NASA, and then(if you agree with the stated reason for the NASA reports) the system and you lose out. However, now with the change, you submit the report within 10 days of realizing you violated and you still have a chance of NASA protecting you. Now if the violation was such that you should have recognized it at the time it occurred then the change will not help you.

Maybe I am not explaining it well enough. If you want I will PM the article to you.

Doug

Just mind the "or should have been aware of the violation" part. Playing dumb won't hack it.

You might want to talk to some pilots who have some experience in this area before forming your opinions regarding the usefulness and outcomes of filing the reports.

If you have been told by tower to call them when you land, this is not going to save your ass.

Yes it might be nice for the gment to know what types of mistakes are made for their policy making but really come on, do you really thinks our gment is proactive?

http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/

"The FAA offers ASRS reporters further guarantees and incentives to report. It has committed itself not to use ASRS information against reporters in enforcement actions. It has also chosen to waive fines and penalties, subject to certain limitations, for unintentional violations of federal aviation statutes and regulations which are reported to ASRS. The FAA's initiation, and continued support of the ASRS program and its willingness to waive penalties in qualifying cases is a measure of the value it places on the safety information gathered, and the products made possible, through incident reporting to the ASRS."

Works for me....:yesnod:

Are you suggesting the ASRS program has no value as a "get out of jail free card?" If you want to PM me I can give you details of my personal experience with a NASA report getting me out of a 30-day suspension after being given a number to call by approach (SFRA-related). I have no idea if my report helped the aviation community to be safer, but I can show you the official order of suspension where it says the penalty is waived due to my filing a NASA ASRS report.

Back