NASA releases 400 page report on Columbia accident

The grandkids are spending the night tonight. God love them, but the rascals turned the thermostat up to 85 before they went to bed. I didn't catch it until I woke up feeling like a broasting chicken. :mad3:

Now that's funny!

I'll have to ask again to be sure, but I'm almost positive that they had no way of doing that inspection before the accident.

Never mind - I knew there was a reason the arm wouldn't work, and now I know what it was: The arm wasn't even on board. :no:

This supports my point. NASA did not have a plan to inspect for damage prior to rentry. This should have been (and certainly is now) a part of the check list for getting ready for reentry.

Do you fly without a preflight? How about pre-landing? Everyone knew what would happen if the tiles failed, even back in the Gemini days. There was no "pre-entry" inspection proceedure of the life saving tiles before reentry. IMHO this was a huge mistake in judgement by NASA engineers and management.

I totally agree about the Monday morning QB thing, and I'm not bashing NASA, but when I look at the situation from a pilot's view things could have been done better. We can all do things better.

Back