NASA looks to pvt sector for help in space plans

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Maybe NASA read my POA post. Reading between the lines the quote I empasized really means, "NASA no longer takes the rap when the rocket blows up, besides there is no room in the budget for things like costly fuel". I can see it now, the hue and cry over who gets the fuel contract would act to handicap any space project.

NASA wants private sector help for space
By Irene Klotz Thu Nov 17, 1:42 AM ET

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (Reuters) - NASA wants private enterprise to get involved in its plans to send manned spaceflights to the moon and beyond, the agency's head said on Wednesday.
http://bc.us.yahoo.com/b?P=zJ_vH0La...5555.6991683.8223283.1442997/D=LREC/B=2724355

Businesses could, for example, take on the task of flying and tending to fuel depots in low-Earth orbit that would service spaceships heading to the moon and eventually Mars, NASA Administrator Michael Griffin said at the Florida Space conference being held at the Kennedy Space Center this week.
Fuel makes up half the weight of what a rocket leaving Earth must carry for a trip to the moon. Griffin is hoping commercial launch providers will be able to fly fuel aboard less expensive rockets, leaving NASA with a smaller load to haul on its more expensive moon ships.
"It would free us from the cost of transporting thousands of pounds of fuel," Griffin said.
NASA is gearing up for a new initiative that will return U.S. astronauts to the moon and eventually send humans to Mars.
The agency is beginning with designs for a new launch vehicle and a new spaceship capable of transporting crews first to the International Space Station and then on to the moon. The space shuttle fleet is scheduled to be retired.
President George W. Bush told NASA to make its first lunar landing under the new program by 2020, but the agency is working to accomplish the flight by 2018.
NASA expects to spend more than $100 billion over the next 12 years on the project.
The agency is structuring its new exploration initiative so no elements are dependent on commercially provided launch services.
However, if entrepreneurs should be able to provide launch services, it would be a bonanza for the program, Griffin said.
"This is exactly the kind of arms-length commercial transaction that people have been crying for from NASA for decades," Griffin said.

Sorry to y'all who read this before I could edit out the advertisement. For some reason this advert wouldn't edit out easily.

Last edited:
Richard said:
Maybe NASA read my POA post. Reading between the lines the quote I empasized really means, "NASA no longer takes the rap when the rocket blows up, besides there is no room in the budget for things like costly fuel". I can see it now, the hue and cry over who gets the fuel contract would act to handicap any space project.

NASA wants private sector help for space
By Irene Klotz Thu Nov 17, 1:42 AM ET

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (Reuters) - NASA wants private enterprise to get involved in its plans to send manned spaceflights to the moon and beyond, the agency's head said on Wednesday.

Businesses could, for example, take on the task of flying and tending to fuel depots in low-Earth orbit that would service spaceships heading to the moon and eventually Mars, NASA Administrator Michael Griffin said at the Florida Space conference being held at the Kennedy Space Center this week.
Fuel makes up half the weight of what a rocket leaving Earth must carry for a trip to the moon. Griffin is hoping commercial launch providers will be able to fly fuel aboard less expensive rockets, leaving NASA with a smaller load to haul on its more expensive moon ships.
"It would free us from the cost of transporting thousands of pounds of fuel," Griffin said.
NASA is gearing up for a new initiative that will return U.S. astronauts to the moon and eventually send humans to Mars.
The agency is beginning with designs for a new launch vehicle and a new spaceship capable of transporting crews first to the International Space Station and then on to the moon. The space shuttle fleet is scheduled to be retired.
President George W. Bush told NASA to make its first lunar landing under the new program by 2020, but the agency is working to accomplish the flight by 2018.
NASA expects to spend more than $100 billion over the next 12 years on the project.
The agency is structuring its new exploration initiative so no elements are dependent on commercially provided launch services.
However, if entrepreneurs should be able to provide launch services, it would be a bonanza for the program, Griffin said.
"This is exactly the kind of arms-length commercial transaction that people have been crying for from NASA for decades," Griffin said.

Sorry to y'all who read this before I could edit out the advertisement. For some reason this advert wouldn't edit out easily.

HMmmmmm.... sounds like opportunity knocking. Wonder how to get in on this, in space contracting...hmmmmm. No problems a few billion dollars wont cover...

Back