Narco MK12D

mdhsabh

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Doug
Hi,

I'm new to Pilots of America. Got a classic 1965 Cessna 182 with a MK12D that had drifted off about 20 degrees. Avionics shop adjusted full-scale, but couldn't bring the needle any closer than 6 degrees off. Now here's the puzzle--once it was put back in the plane, it had no audio (all displays looked normal, though). Second radio was fine. Swapped the no-sound unit out with another near-identical Narco, and the swap worked fine. Any thoughts? I've posted here because I suspect this will turn into a search to buy a replacement radio--probably to add GPS (Garmin 430W and CI-106A). Thanks!

...and yes, we checked the obvious (pins on the back of the radio) and reverted the deflection back to the starting point (still no audio). Looked normal, just no sound.

I've posted here because I suspect this will turn into a search to buy a replacement radio--probably to add GPS (Garmin 430W and CI-106A). Thanks!

Well you asked: Buy a replace radio such as a Garmin 430W.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to POA!

Last edited:
Put a fork in it, it's done.

Be sure you give the radio a fitting fairwell, I recommend a 12 gauge with buck shot.

I've seen some good deals on radios on eBay (believe it or not!), might want to check there for a replacement.

If you're going with the 430W, I'd get a king HSI & Sandell remote solid state gyro/flux. Seen some good deals on that set up lately.

I have a Narco Mark 12D+ as my #2 radio. I installed it new in the 90s and it is rock solid. I would call around to avionics shops and see if anyone has a unit for sale. There were/are always upgrades going on and you might find a slide-in replacement.

If it were an A version, you could have probably gotten away with a Michel until you figure out your long term path. The Garmin 430/530s are still commanding a lot of money on the used market. The GTN series will cost you 5 digits with install. You might want to wait for the Avidyne and the Bendix King offerings to see where they settle on street prices. The Avidyne should be certified shortly, the KLN 770 from BK is still promising this year.

We had nothing but trouble with our D+ units, but as Marauder says, there are plenty of used units to be had that you could probably extend your life with them until you make up your mind. I'm really liking the features and attitude of the Avidyne guys these days. I'm really getting cheesed off at Garmin especially after the last maintenance fiasco.

My Narcos have been solid.

These guys service Narco still, and (I have noted) they will not jerk you around - if they believe something is beyond economic repair, they'll tell you.

Roy Dawson Radio Communications
Phone 1:(386) 760-7600

Back