Narco DME

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
I've got a flakey Narco DME 190 TSO in which the 3rd lamp from the left (the one just to the left of the decimal point when in distance mode) is extremely dim. It's fine for night flying and in the hangar, but in daylight, pretty much unusable. Is this common for the Narco units?

I've got a flakey Narco DME 190 TSO in which the 3rd lamp from the left (the one just to the left of the decimal point when in distance mode) is extremely dim. It's fine for night flying and in the hangar, but in daylight, pretty much unusable. Is this common for the Narco units?

I'm not sure if it's common or not, but I just have to say one thing...

If it craps out, DO NOT even think about wasting the time and money to fix it. :no:

I'll spare you the entire rant, suffice it to say that the last Narco radio issue we had resulted in a hole in the panel for OVER A YEAR. Never again. Next Narco to crap out goes straight into the junk heap where it belongs.

Sorry for the bad news. :dunno:

You could almost get an IFR GPS for that. Sounds like a waste of money and panel space.

it's the light bulb. It's $85 for the part, $85 for the labor, and it's done. Makes perfect sense - the "ones" bulb is always lit, so it's the first to burn out.

it's the light bulb. It's $85 for the part, $85 for the labor, and it's done. Makes perfect sense - the "ones" bulb is always lit, so it's the first to burn out.

Problem is that Narco won't let anyone else get parts for their stuff. So, you send it to Narco... And our radio sat on the bench for 9 months before they even looked at it. :mad:

Local Narco dealer is fixing it over the weekend. For an hour of labor.

<sarcastic mode on>

I posted a reasonable question. All of them completely ignored my question. And POA is supposed to be "better" than rec.aviation?

<sarcastic mode off>

<sarcastic mode on>

I posted a reasonable question. All of them completely ignored my question. And POA is supposed to be "better" than rec.aviation?

<sarcastic mode off>

Sorry. Wasn't ignoring your question, just didn't know that specific answer. Our Narco DME is a different model. I'm glad you got an easy fix! :yes:

I had a Narco DME in my last plane. One of the digits (the "ones" digit in the distance readout) was somewhat intermittent, more so in cold weather. I sent it to Narco, paid a fairly hefty price, got it back promptly, and. . .. .within months it was doing the same thing.

Wells

<sarcastic mode on>

<sarcastic mode off>

True, you got the same answers here as on rec.aviation -- but at least no one called you a f*&kwit" in the process...

THAT is what makes PofA a better place, IMHO.

:cheerswine:

IF you search this and other Forums for Threads about Narco you will find out why - not just me - but others wonder why waste any money on ANY Narco???

"I posted a reasonable question. All of them completely ignored my question."

IF it last 6 months please repost with the good news! Thanks!

Well, it lasted the 7 years that I've had the aircraft and this is the first problem I've had with it. I'm well aware of issues with Narco. When the MK12D went bad, I replaced it with an SL30. Momma didn't raise no dumb child. But for under $100 and just a few days at the local shop, I got no complaints with the DME.

True, you got the same answers here as on rec.aviation -- but at least no one called you a f*&kwit" in the process...

THAT is what makes PofA a better place, IMHO.

:cheerswine:
twoo, wery twoo!

Just got the DME back - a total of $125 from the local shop. They cannibalized a lamp from a non-working unit (and also gave me another lamp as a spare since the 4 lamps were just fine). Add to this $4.78 at Sears for a 5/64th hex screwdriver, 10 minutes at the hangar and life is just fine.

I have a Narco Com120, Com111B, Nav112, Nav112 installed in my aircraft for about the past 20 years and have had no trouble. They all work very good. I'm pleased with Narco equipment.

My Narco DME works just fine. I did once have some problems with a tube and something else I don't remember, but Narco repaired it and it's been a champ for several years.

Back