Narco AT 165 audio alert help!

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
I am replacing my older Narco AT50a with a slide in replacement AT165. I wired a new encoder to the at50a last year so I am familiar with the wiring ect..

I want to use the audio alert function connected to my intercom. The manual says that there is a switch I can move so as the "digitizer common" can be used as the audio alert input. Don't I need that for the encoder to work?? the digitizer common front he at50a tray is connected to the encoder..

The most logical thing I can think of is ground the "digitizer common" lead from the encoder to the aircraft frame and then it should still function and allow me to use that pin on the transponder to connect to my audio panel (KMA24)

Sound right?

Connected the pin 5 (Audio Alert Out) to the "T" pin for altimeter warning on my KMA24. Nothing.. There is a switch on the AT165 to slide to move to the alert setting from being using for the Digitizer common.. I used the T before for my traffic alert audio awhile back..

I am going to check the the 2 pins in the tray with my meter to doublecheck but is there anything simple I am missing?

Ok I have it working now but the thing is stupid loud... as in ear piercing loud even when you turn it on... is there a way to reduce the audio output from either the at165 or the kma24? I was thinking I could also wire in a resistor but usually those are ran in series with the negative wire.. guess I could run a resistor tonthe lead and then to the com ground?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I have it working now but the thing is stupid loud... as in ear piercing loud even when you turn it on... is there a way to reduce the audio output from either the at165 or the kma24? I was thinking I could also wire in a resistor but usually those are ran in series with the negative wire.. guess I could run a resistor tonthe lead and then to the com ground?

I believe this was designed to drive an external buzzer like a small sonalert, or directly to a speaker. A resistor in line would work.

Thanks! I ordered some and will see what happens! It’s crazy loud the way it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back