NARCO 12D Display Failure- Replace it With What?

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by Mooney Fan, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Mooney Fan

Mooney Fan Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mooney Fan
    Ok, my single NAV/COM Narco 12D started acting up last night, and again today. Some of the digits are unreadable. Seemed to improve as the flight went on, but still unacceptable.

For a single NAV/COM, anyone have recommendations on a replacement that may just be a plug and play? I was thinking of maybe having the NARCO repaired then use it as a COM II, but I would need to add an audio panel or just a basic switch. At a minimum, I need a new radio, then go from there

Suggestions for a middle of the road unit? Will my existing CDI work regardless of what radio I select?

Thanks

2. Eric Lehto

Eric Lehto Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lombard
  3. murphey

murphey Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    If you can find an older TKM MX-12D, or spring for the new version. Plug & play, no problems. However, there's an issue with the NAV side. The older MX units do not have the NAV resolver. Contact TKM and ask if the new units support NAV.

As for the CDI - it depends.

4. Lynn Dixon

Lynn Dixon Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    CubedRoot
  5. Qotile

Qotile Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Qotile
    It looks like people have been getting eBay deals between $300-500. Perhaps try “best offer” on a few? There are quite a few active listings. Of course, the display will die on the replacement eventually too, but you can kick the can down the road.

6. TigerGene

TigerGene Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    TigerGene
  7. Mooney Fan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mooney Fan
    Thanks all------ This does look very intriguing. I have reached out to them for more information

TCABM likes this.
  8. Mooney Fan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mooney Fan
    Thanks again. I reached out to Matrix Avionics and received the below response
    ----------

We are early into the certification phase. Pricing is planned at $2995.

Is it OK if I add you to a mailing list so we can keep you updated on our progress toward product availability? FAA Certification is a timeline that we don’t have a great deal of control over but we hope to have certified product available for sale in 6-12 months. I hope this fits your timeline and I hope you will keep us in mind as you plan your avionics retrofit.

Thanks,

Chris Rose

9. Mooney Fan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mooney Fan
    Just spoke with local avionics shop. Quoted me 16k for GTN—650 with CDI installed for 16K. Watching EBay etc for a good deal on another Narco. Decisions, decisions.

10. bradg33

bradg33 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Esquire99
    If you're handy and have a cooperative A&P/IA, you might take a look at the Approach Fast Stack system for a DIY install. I'm on the final lap of my own DIY avionics upgrade, in which I added a GTN625, a new audio panel, a Garmin com (no nav), a G5 HSI and a Garmin GTX335 for around $15k total. I will concede that I'm about 80 hours of my own labor into the project, but I'm learning a lot about the plane in the process. I kept an old MK12D as Comm 2/Nav 1.

Mtns2Skies likes this.