Naples to Key West

FlyingTiger

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingTiger
I will be vacationing with the family in Naples for 2 weeks in early July. Wife and I would like to visit Key West, 6 hour drive, 1 hour flight, so I am looking for information on where I can rent an aircraft in the Naples area and also any information on Key West. Looks like Marathon would be the arrival airport.

Also, the flight will be over the ocean for almost the entire flight, so for those of you that do this on a regular basis, any tips would be appreciated.

If Key West is your destination, fly into Key West. KEYW. Marathon (KMTH) is over an hour drive if there’s no traffic issues. And remember, there are no alternate routes in the Keys. US 1 is it, so if it’s blocked you’re going nowhere.

I flew down from central Florida a few years ago (to Marathon, which was my destination. I intentionally followed US1 to not do the long overwater flight over Florida bay. I suggest you check the routing and see what it adds to your flight time. It may not be that bad...

John

AAFDF883-90E0-415C-939A-139C2EFC1C7D.jpeg Make sure you have survival gear if the renters allow you to fly over the ocean. If your on vacation why not fly down the chain to see the Everglades and the keys along the way? It’s only an extra 20 min.

View attachment 64010 Make sure you have survival gear if the renters allow you to fly over the ocean. If your on vacation why not fly down the chain to see the Everglades and the keys along the way? It’s only an extra 20 min.

Not only the Ocean. The Everglades got no Elephants to save your azz from the Crocs

"Shuttering" I've seen what a bunch of Alligators can do. Not as many Crocs in the glades.

If you want to fly low and see the Keys that's a great route. I'd fly direct to Key West. I have flown direct to Key West over Naples, with the family onboard. We had a life vest for each person. There are lots of boats and warm water. If you have to ditch you won't be floating long with all those boats around.

We've also flown low up the the Keys from Key West to Marathon, then climbed and flew to the gulf side of Florida on our way to Sarasota.

I'm not convinced that ditching in the swamp is any better than ditching in the water.

It is a great flight and the view is gorgeous.

First if going either KMTH or KEYW, call to get your ramp fees to avoid sticker shock.
Second, a direct route from KAPF to KEYW will put you outside the ADIZ. You have to file/open an ICAO flight plan and get a squak code from ATC.
Third, have PFDs and a PLB onboard irregardless of the routing and no night flights.

I flown to both airports many times along the west coast and the short trip across open water. Some how the engine never so much as burped and I didn’t get eaten by sharks or gators.

I’ve done the flight both ways ,the scenic rt 1 flight is nice,if you follow the highway ,be careful around the navies airspace. The prices at key west may surprise you.

And be very careful of the aerostat over Cujoe key, about 20nm east of key west, and north of Rt 1. There’s a small restricted airspace there, kinda easy to miss and large consequences ;)

I’ve done the flight both ways ,the scenic rt 1 flight is nice,if you follow the highway ,be careful around the navies airspace. The prices at key west may surprise you.
I would say shock, but surprise is a good polite term!! :eek:

Just two weekends ago I flew from Tampa to Marathon in a Piper Archer. I went direct (but didn't have family with me), the route took me almost directly over X01 to KMTH so a bit of that was over water.

First, it's gorgeous and I'm excited for you! Second, the water is not very deep for most of that stretch--not that it matters TOO much, but it can alleviate some fears. If it's a nice day, there will be boats everywhere. Maybe you'll feel better going toward Marathon first before following the islands out to Key West, but it's up to you.

To mitigate risk, I stayed high for as long as practicable. I planned for a 600 fpm descent just to stay at altitude longer. I usually plan for 400 fpm with passengers for comfort. Also, I had flight following (I had it the entire flight, but would have picked it up before the over-water portion anyway). They told me as I was approaching Marathon that they would lose me below 3,000' so even as I approached, I stayed above that until I was ready to descend even steeper to get to the pattern altitude again to stay on comms as long as possible.

It's an awesome scene from the air over the keys! Good luck and have fun!

Thanks to everyone for the comments. Marathon is a bit farther then I thought so I might fly directly to International instead. Also, took a good look at the Balloon /Cable area. Read the accident report on that 182 as well. I'm probable going to take V225 direct over the ocean if the FBO is ok with that. Shortest route and keeps me clear of the restricted area.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. Marathon is a bit farther then I thought so I might fly directly to International instead. Also, took a good look at the Balloon /Cable area. Read the accident report on that 182 as well. I'm probable going to take V225 direct over the ocean if the FBO is ok with that. Shortest route and keeps me clear of the restricted area.

Why would the FBO care?

Plane rental restriction over open water. Maybe it's not really an issue, I don't have any experience renting anywhere but here in the Northeast.

aerostat is hard to miss if you are up a little higher (its big and white and several thousand feet up), but if you are low, I could see how the unmarked/unlit cable beneath it would be hard to see if you aren't looking really high above your aircraft for the blimp. I'd highly suggest flight following......its pretty congested airspace down there, with a lot of puddle jumpers, decent amount of 737's, and of course a whole lot of very fast fighters. Long story short, there are a lot of different speeds of airplanes flying at 3k ft and below within a 15 mile radius of KW and Boca Chica.

Suncoast aviation. I rent from Paragon but that is in Ft Myers. We typically hug the coast and stay away from the ADIZ. The water is shallow and boats are everywhere. Fly over whitewater bay and turn right. Or keep south and turn over Marathon. Not sure on Suncoast policy but Paragon has a 4hr minimum per day if keeping overnight. At 165 wet that makes for a pricey weekend. It’s one of the main reasons I’m actively searching for my own plane. For the Keys and the Bahamas.

I can see how paying that on a regular basis could get old but being on vacation, I'd be ok with a 4hr minimum. Have no problem stretching out the trip with some sight seeing from the air. Wife and I had a blast cruising up and down the Jersey shore last summer so I can only imagine how awesome it will be flying down there.

btw, thanks for mentioning Sun Coast. They rent 172s and an Arrow; have significant time in both. Since we won't be in a rush, I'll probably will take the high wing for better visibility. Hopefully availability won't be an issue.

Last edited:
You may even get a “free” day if they are closed on Sunday. I know Paragon works that way. Rent Saturday and return by Monday morning before the rental day starts and it’s one day.

Back