Napa Depature Procedures

kevmor99

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
kevmor99
At Napa airport (KAPC), it looks like a typical clearance is to SGD (Scaggs Island VOR) then the filed route. Looking at the graphical ODP NAPAA it has you climb southbound on the R-165 radial until reaching 3,000, then back to SGD VOR, where you could proceed on course, possibly north on V87 from the SGD VOR with an MEA of 5300.

So it seems to me that the climb using this ODP will provide terrain clearance until reaching 5300 as you climb up to it while on the airway. Would this ODP need to be filed? I know textual ODPs don't need to be.

If it wasn't filed, I'm not sure if ATC would be expecting a left turn at SGD vs. making a right turn on course? I could notify them when I get the clearance that I would be flying the NAPAA ODP, going south if not at 3k by the VOR, maybe that would be the best way of doing it?

https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1609/pdf/00281NAPAA.PDF

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 29
I'm surprised it doesn't have departing SGD on R-114 climb on course as well as R-165. Exactly how they plot out the obstruction clearance criteria I don't know. SCD has no MCA's so I figure that making 3000 before reversing course back to SGD before proceding on course covers it. If I was flying it I wouldn't worry about not already being at 4300 or 4500 for either V108 or V87. If you were enroute on V108 at 3000 you wouldn't start the climb out of 3000 until SGD.

That they took the time and trouble to code it and print it graphically tells me they use it a lot. It's likely they assign it a lot. I doubt if you'd often just get "SGD then as filed." If they did, then it's up to you if you fly it or not. It's definetly a good idea to let them know if you do, but I'm sure it's not required. If you know you want to fly it I'd say file it. It's been coded as the NAPAA2.SGD for a reason. I don't know if getting it plugged into whatever NAV you use makes a difference. If by plugging it in, it will magenta line you through it I guess thats a bonus.

I've never seen a be airborne by so far from the DER before. I wonder if anyones ever actually pulled the throttles and screeched to a halt when they saw the 2 board go by there.

Napa has several SIDs you can use if you want something to file.

Last time I departed there IFR, I got assigned MERLOT ONE. Pretty trivial departure. Basically, runway heading until vectored otherwise, except for Rwy 6.

SGD is in the wetlands adjecent to the Bay. It's FLAT, with minimal terrain or anything else in that sector.

You will receive specific instructions or vectors. They will not leave you to finding your own way up out of Napa. Small GA planes are likely to get a pass by scraggs just because we don't climb like jets and likely aren't to receive climb to 16000 direct mustang on the first exchange of words with Travis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only time it would be at your discretion as to whether you fly an ODP is if there is no specific course guidance to the first waypoint in your cleared route. That is highly unlikely to happen at a towered airport within Norcal TRACON. I agree with TheGoflPilot's post, you're going to receive vectors or a specific SID assignment. Perhaps the SID will be the NAPAA2 (which is the ODP), but if it isn't, then don't count on flying the ODP.

The only time it would be at your discretion as to whether you fly an ODP is if there is no specific course guidance to the first waypoint in your cleared route. That is highly unlikely to happen at a towered airport within Norcal TRACON. I agree with TheGoflPilot's post, you're going to receive vectors or a specific SID assignment. Perhaps the SID will be the NAPAA2 (which is the ODP), but if it isn't, then don't count on flying the ODP.

The ONLY time?

If you depart after 9PM, you will get a clearance with a void time from Oakland Center, that will specify something like SGD VOR. Napa does not have a 24 hour tower. Under that condition, it's up to you how to get to SGD, and the ODP is a good choice.

Napa is not in NorCal airspace, either.

The ONLY time?

If you depart after 9PM, you will get a clearance with a void time from Oakland Center, that will specify something like SGD VOR. Napa does not have a 24 hour tower. Under that condition, it's up to you how to get to SGD, and the ODP is a good choice.

Napa is not in NorCal airspace, either.

Just because the tower is closed doesn't mean you aren't going to receive a departure in your clearance.

My mistake, I forgot Napa is just outside Norcal Tracon. My point stands, though, it's only if you don't receive specific course guidance to the first waypoint that you can fly the ODP, and as TheGolfPilot said, the tower being closed doesn't preclude the center from issuing a DP, or another instruction which would nullify the ODP.

My mistake, I forgot Napa is just outside Norcal Tracon. My point stands, though, it's only if you don't receive specific course guidance to the first waypoint that you can fly the ODP, and as TheGolfPilot said, the tower being closed doesn't preclude the center from issuing a DP, or another instruction which would nullify the ODP.
However, if the course guidance received is not a published procedure, it's important to verify that it provides terrain and obstruction clearance.

Back