Nancy Lynn on CBS Sunday Morning

mikea said:
CBS News Sunday Morning had a good story on Nancy Lynn flying aerobatics in her Extra 300. Her son is her air show announcer.

I met Nancy at an AOPA Open House a few years ago. Neat lady and I got my picture taken with her. I remember her doing the "Wing Tips" on the old Discovery Wings Channel.

Nancy Lynn killed in crash yesterday

Sad news from Virginia, this report from the Charlottesville Daily Progress:

Pilot Nancy Lynn whose plane tragically crashed Saturday during an aerobatic performance at Culpeper Air Fest died later that night at University of Virginia Health System in Charlottesville.
Lynn, of Annapolis, Md., crashed her Extra 300L after performing multiple snap rolls when her plane slammed into grass on the north side of the runway and burst into flames - not far from hundreds of horrified spectators.
Culpeper County Administrator Frank Bossio, who was one of the first to arrive at the crash site, said it was a “sad and horrible” accident.
Bossio said the National Transportation Safety Board is investigating and will be able to determine circumstantial evidence regarding the cause of the crash.
http://www.dailyprogress.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=CDP%2FMGArticle%2FCDP_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149191170444&path=!news

Re: Nancy Lynn killed in crash yesterday

Bless her heart - this is just so sad. :(

Agatha and I met Nancy a couple years ago. We were going to fly with her for our anniversary. Unfortunately we got weathered out and never got the chance to do the flight. She was gracious and classy. There are not many like her in this world.

Met her son also. Pete is really neat kid and was the first to greet us when we landed.

Very sad day.

That is shocking and saddening. I remember those clips from Wings Channel. It's hard to believe.

Wow .. that's terrible. My heart and prayers go out to her family. The
whole aviation community shares their grief.

I looked around at her web site for a while. Found something rather interesting in the "Motivational Speaking" part:

Nancy Lynn web site said:
--Grief: “The Truth About Grieving: An Insider‘s Story”

No one can really understand what it is like to help a loved one on the journey towards death--unless they have done it themselves. And no one can really know what it is like to lose a loved one suddenly and tragically--unless they have experienced it.

Nancy has lived through both of these profound events and has experienced the gut-wrenchingly deep, disorienting sadness that accompanied them. She is passionate about sharing what she learned as she grappled with grief. “Within the span of 3 years, I felt like I had earned a PhD in loss and grieving. It’s a degree I never wanted…but now that I’ve got the experience, I want to share it with others. I learned a lot, and much of it was not contained in the shelves of books I read on the subject. If I can help one person hang on to hope through life-altering loss--if I can help just one person know that it is through the process of grieving that one can find the path back to a rich and fulfilling life--I will be profoundly grateful. Because to help illuminate the way for someone else will mean that the insights I gained during my darkest nights will not have been in vain. And then that person might light the way for someone else.”

I hope her son has seen that particular presentation.

Man, this just sucks. Two in two weeks. :(

This is really sad. I really enjoyed my brief time talking to her. She had a great personality and nice sense of humor. Great pilot also.

Oh my gosh. I am just horrified by this news.

I will always remember Nancy's beautiful smile. I met her at an AOPA Fly-In years back. I thought I'd love to fly with her some time, since at the time she was based at Bay Bridge Airport.

A sad day indeed.

Nancy Lynn appears in an AOPA Air Safety Foundation video. She plays a businesswomam who rushes a dpearture in a Piper and launches into low VMC intendind to pick up an clearance in the air - whiel headed for rasing terrain.

That's where I first saw her, before I saw her on Wings and found out who she was.

This is a tragedy.

On one of those Wings Channel shows Patty Wagstaff told of how during one performance she realized she got dangerously low because her mind was on personal problems. She vowed to never let that happen again.

These incidents show us why they have to vow to keep their heads in the game. Their life depends on it.

Last edited:
I mean this in a nice way, and I am not talking bad of the dead. I will miss hearing her over unicom blasting people on 123.0 who are trying to depart the airport while she is in the pattern. I would be working with my students in the pattern in PA when I hear this stuff. I used her as a learning tool for my students. I would tell them that even if they hear someone blasting them over unicom like she does, ignore it and continue flying your plane.

bobloblaw310 said:
I mean this in a nice way, and I am not talking bad of the dead. I will miss hearing her over unicom blasting people on 123.0 who are trying to depart the airport while she is in the pattern. I would be working with my students in the pattern in PA when I hear this stuff. I used her as a learning tool for my students. I would tell them that even if they hear someone blasting them over unicom like she does, ignore it and continue flying your plane.

I don't understand fully what was going on -any more details of the unicom transmissions? I know she would want everyone to learn from whatever had gone on.

God, she was the epitome of a fine, female pilot. I and so many others will miss seeing and hearing her in flight. I'm thankful she at least had a long, highly successful flying career.

Dave Krall CFII said:
I don't understand fully what was going on -any more details of the unicom transmissions? I know she would want everyone to learn from whatever had gone on.

God, she was the epitome of a fine, female pilot. I and so many others will miss seeing and hearing her in flight. I'm thankful she at least had a long, highly successful flying career.

I was at Bay Bridge airport one day waiting to take off in line behind a Bonanza. She had just entered the 45 when the Bonanza announced he was departing. The Bonanza got into position and started his take-off roll. Nancy made a short abbreviated pattern and turned final as the Bonanza was rolling. She got on the radio and blasted the guy acting like she owned the airport. This is what I witnessed and heard at this airport.

Fast forward a year later and I am instructing in PA. I hear Nancy Lynn yelling at people everyday telling them to get out of her way. I guess owning an Extra made one a priority. It's too bad this is the memory I have of her.

I posted this on the red board as well. They have updated the website www.lynnaviation.com with an obit and some comments from her son. A memorial fund has been set up to help him with his education. You can get the details on the website.

A dammed shame.

Jim G

bobloblaw310 said:
It's too bad this is the memory I have of her.
I guess I don't understand the reason for posting something like this, Bob. Will it help anything to broadcast something negative about her? Am I surprised that she was flawed like the rest of us? Nope - how could she not be?

Seems to me that this is better a time of sorrow and a time to hold up the good things that she did - which, apparently, were legion. We ALL have feet of clay. No need to point it out at this time, you know?

etsisk said:
I guess I don't understand the reason for posting something like this, Bob. Will it help anything to broadcast something negative about her? Am I surprised that she was flawed like the rest of us? Nope - how could she not be?

Seems to me that this is better a time of sorrow and a time to hold up the good things that she did - which, apparently, were legion. We ALL have feet of clay. No need to point it out at this time, you know?

You miss the point here etsisk. If you want to properly remember someone, you remember everything about them. Not just the good, or just the bad. I never met her in person. My memory is based on witnessing the contact between her and the Bonanza pilot, as well as daily blasting of other pilots over the unicom. Maybe she is a lot nicer in person, I don't know, but this is my memory, I don't expect you to understand it, and you certainly have no right to judge my memory. She performed a great service too me as I droned along instructing everyday. She provided some entertainment when I needed it most. This is why my memory isn't such a bad thing.

grattonja said:
I posted this on the red board as well.
Jim G

Have seen references to the "Red Board" for a while now.
But no one yet has deemed it necessary to inform the fairly new members what this is , or where to find it. Is it a secret club? A members only affair, or is it simply this site with a red background???

Enquiring minds want to know.....

So I'm gonna ask...
Where can I find the "Red Board"??, and do I want to ?

Chache said:
Have seen references to the "Red Board" for a while now.
But no one yet has deemed it necessary to inform the fairly new members what this is , or where to find it. Is it a secret club? A members only affair, or is it simply this site with a red background???

Enquiring minds want to know.....

So I'm gonna ask...
Where can I find the "Red Board"??, and do I want to ?

The "Red Board" is the AOPA message board. If you are a member of AOPA you can register for their forum. On AOPA's board you may see a reference to the "Blue Board." That is a reference to this place.

FWIW, any club that is a secret is not worth being a part of.

bobloblaw310 said:
You miss the point here etsisk. If you want to properly remember someone, you remember everything about them. Not just the good, or just the bad. I never met her in person. My memory is based on witnessing the contact between her and the Bonanza pilot, as well as daily blasting of other pilots over the unicom. Maybe she is a lot nicer in person, I don't know, but this is my memory, I don't expect you to understand it, and you certainly have no right to judge my memory. She performed a great service too me as I droned along instructing everyday. She provided some entertainment when I needed it most. This is why my memory isn't such a bad thing.
Well, it wouldn't be the first point I ever missed, nor the last, I expect. I just still hold to my grandmama's advice, "don't talk ill of the dead". So I don't. I don't see the benefit in it.

CBS Sunday Morning did a followup story talking to Nancy's son and the crash. He's talking flying lessons. They showed him flying dual in an Arrow.

They didn't post that story. I have it on the TiVo.

Back