Names on Planes

Skyhawk4754

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Willie
anybody here have a name painted on their plane? Use to see that a lot years back. I saw a gcbc awhile back that had "Mother's Worry" on it, thought it was cute.

anybody here have a name painted on their plane? Use to see that a lot years back. I saw a gcbc awhile back that had "Mother's Worry" on it, thought it was cute.
Got a name on mine, but it's vinyl lettering, not paint.

name.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Back in the early 80s, I bought my first 411. Happened to have a 152 and they had the same paint scheme on them. So I got cute and had "Lady Bird" painted on the big plane and "Baby Bird" painted on the little one. I kept them in a hangar together and thought they looked kind of neat.

i still havent come up with a good name for the glider...

I have named my plane but have not painted it on. Does that count?
My partner named our plane, but we have not and will not paint it on. The closest I would come is to allow him to put the name on the welcome screen of the 496.

FedEx names all thier planes after thier employees kids.

Jet Blue names all their planes, too. All of our planes have a three letter fleet code on their nose, does that count? 191CJ is LVW (L-V-Whisky). 124CJ was LVA (L-V-Angel). 171MJ is LVU (L-V-Ugly), etc.

What kind of plane is Moonraker?
As Pete posted, a Bowers Fly Baby homebuilt. I bought it in 1996, when it was fourteen years old and had 100 hours on it (25 hours SMOH). Probably about the cheapest N-numbered flying out there.

I've got some air-to-air shots at:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/pix/albumraker.htm

I picked the name because it sort of merges several interests. I'm a nautical history buff, and the "Moonraker" was the highest sail on a square-rigged ship. I've worked in the space industry since 1977, and "Moonraker" was the name of a Space Shuttle in the James Bond movie of the same name. And, with its open cockpit and multiple bracing wires, a power-off Fly Baby has about the same glide ratio as a Shuttle....

In addition to the name, the plane also carries a bit of "nose art" which you can see a bit aft and down from the name. It's a modified Gary Larson cartoon.

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/pix/wanttaja_art2.JPG

Also the turtledeck baggage area has a door behind my shoulders that lets me put various additional graphics on display, which I generally change every year. Here's some examples:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/pix/enemy ace.jpg

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/pix/MachBuster.jpg

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/pix/spruce chip1.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
Roughly a month after 911 I was on my way back to London. I was flying Virgin Atlantic and while waiting to board I saw Lady Penelope on the side of the plane (747). I asked a flight attendant what the name meant, he said they name all of their planes. On the way home I asked a flight attendant what the name of that particular plane was, and he said "Tinkerbelle"! I figured we had to be safe because no one would blow Tinkerbelle out of the sky. (I was right, too!) :D

As a renter I don't know any plane well enough to name her. The farthest I go is humming the Batman theme before departure.

i still havent come up with a good name for the glider...

After seeing it yesterday when I pulled the RV out of the hangar, you could name it "Bird Poop Holder-Upper". :mad: Geez, what do those little sparrows EAT!?

Ours came named, in 3 inch tall adhesive letters:

Miss Judy

Although we could remove the name any time we wanted, we just couldn't bring ourselves to do it. you gotta love something that campy.

I had "The Aluminum Mistress" on the Mooney I partnered in. My partner thought it was appropriate. When I get my own plane again I'll have some artwork to match.

My first homebuilt was a Kolb Firestar. It was named "Iced Tea" because it took many gallons of tea to build it.
My second homebuilt was a Rans S7. It was named "Iced Tea Too" because it took many more gallons of tea to build it.

Dale

Tonys glider reminds me of a faithful dog when I see it in flight and since he's always out ranging around for new places to land the name Scout has occured to me. So has Snoopy which is less dignified but somehow more appropriate to it's cute old fashioned nature.

My Woodstock sailplane has been informally named Wanders Wonder as it was built by noted gliding instructor and author Bob Wander and it is both wonderously beautiful clear varnished wood and you wonder how it can fly so well being such a simple machine.

My Fly Baby has been likened to a miniature crop duster since it's yellow and now has a canopy that gives it a crop duster profile. We've been joking about calling it the Flea Sprayer.

MM

Tonys glider reminds me of a faithful dog when I see it in flight and since he's always out ranging around for new places to land the name Scout has occured to me. So has Snoopy which is less dignified but somehow more appropriate to it's cute old fashioned nature.

My Woodstock sailplane has been informally named Wanders Wonder as it was built by noted gliding instructor and author Bob Wander and it is both wonderously beautiful clear varnished wood and you wonder how it can fly so well being such a simple machine.

My Fly Baby has been likened to a miniature crop duster since it's yellow and now has a canopy that gives it a crop duster profile. We've been joking about calling it the Flea Sprayer.

MM

'Scout'. Well thought out, and it fits! I would rank it #1 with "turdulator1" as #2 at this point. Also, with the handful of small cloth patches he has place on it within the past couple of years, "Patch" would fit the 'hunting dog' bill as well.

Now that you mention it, the Fly Baby does resemble an old Ag-Cat without the top wing. Coincidence? :dunno: ;)

I bet we could figure out a way to get a few gallons of spray solution stashed in there somewhere. ;) I'm not sure you have enough excess power to pull an air-driven pump through the air, though. You might have to pump by hand. Oh, and as for booms, I probably have an extra Tee-Jet tip laying around somewhere. It could work! And with all the wet areas around here this year, you could make some $$$ spraying for mosquitoes! :D

My first homebuilt was a Kolb Firestar. It was named "Iced Tea" because it took many gallons of tea to build it.
My second homebuilt was a Rans S7. It was named "Iced Tea Too" because it took many more gallons of tea to build it.

Dale

That's classic! By that rite, could I name the RV "Smashed thumbs and curse words" for all the times I dropped the stinking bucking bar? :D

Don't have a plane yet, but I picked a name a while back for the first one: "Betty". It was my maw's name, and a perfect airplane name, I think.

Probably would paint it on, small letters on the cowl somewhere. I once saw a terrific Betty Boop image on the nose of an old C-120 (which was very apropos), but I'd hate to copy that.

Funny you should mention that...:frog:

osh05_b25_0484.jpg

This plane shows up at Airventure most every year.

Don't have a plane yet, but I picked a name a while back for the first one: "Betty". It was my maw's name, and a perfect airplane name, I think.

Probably would paint it on, small letters on the cowl somewhere. I once saw a terrific Betty Boop image on the nose of an old C-120 (which was very apropos), but I'd hate to copy that.

Last edited:

Hmmmm....

"Pipsqueak Pawnee"?

'Itsnaw (rhymes with Cessna) Agwagon"?

"Dinky Duster"?

"Ag-Kitten"?

Ron Wanttaja

I like Scout. I dont fly high enough to be called Icarus :)

Back